• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision 10x50 is arrived! (1 Viewer)

binomania

Swarovision 10x50 has arrived!

Hi to everybody. Today I received from Swarovski Optik Italy an exemplar of 10x50 Swarovision to write a review for my website. In the next days i've the opportunity to compare it with my copy of Swarovision 8.5x42. I must say that Swarovski has done an excellent job: light weight, flat field, excellent field (6.6) and FOV. The focus knob is more fluid than my 8.5! The contrast is excellent, as well as the color rendering and the containment of chromatic aberration.

I liked the weight. Today I used it for two hours to the lake. I've observed cormorants and gulls. It's well balanced and weighs like my old Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. The panning is great! I still have to control, carefully, if Swarovski has reintroduced a bit 'of pincushion distortion, but the ball rolling effect seems less than what I see in 8.5x 42 version.
Tonight I shall use it for astronomical observations
I'll take two weeks before writing a review. If you want you can follow the updates on my blog blog.binomania.it and on my website www.binomania.it
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Attachments

• swarovision10x50.jpg
    swarovision10x50.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,268
Last edited:
Hi to everybody. Today I received from Swarovski Optik Italy an exemplar of 10x50 Swarovision to write a review for my website. In the next days i've the opportunity to compare it with my copy of Swarovision 8.5x42. I must say that Swarovski has done an excellent job: light weight, flat field, excellent field (6.6) and FOV. The focus knob is more fluid than my 8.5! The contrast is excellent, as well as the color rendering and the containment of chromatic aberration.

I liked the weight. Today I used it for two hours to the lake. I've observed cormorants and gulls. It's well balanced and weighs like my old Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. The panning is great! I still have to control, carefully, if Swarovski has reintroduced a bit 'of pincushion distortion, but the ball rolling effect seems less than what I see in 8.5x 42 version.
I'll take two weeks before writing a review. If you want you can follow the updates on my blog blog.binomania.it and on my website www.binomania.it
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Looking forward to reading your observations, will you be giving the 12x a test drive also?...

Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Ciao! Piergiovanni,

Glad to hear the focuser knob is smoother, didn't care much for the focuser on the old (slow focus) EL I tried, which turned harder in one direction than the other. Definitely not what I expected at that price point.

Two weeks? What are you going to do a stretched out early Messier Marathon? :)

When the 8.5x and 10x42 SV ELs first came out, some 10x owners also reported seeing less "rolling ball" in their 10x after comparing them to the 8.5x. Could be the larger the FOV, the more obvious the "rolling ball". Holger and Henry both mentioned this about bins with narrower FOV showing less "rolling ball" even when they have a low amount of pincushion (though 6.6* is by no means narrow for a 10x50).

Since you see "rolling ball" in the 8.5x model, I'm wondering if the "rolling ball" eventually disappeared (some people adopt to it over time), or did you just not find it annoying?

Looking forward to your review of the 10x50 SV EL.

Btw, I enjoy reading binomania (the best I can, with Google's broken English translation). I particularly liked the review of the 8x42 SLC-HD and all the nice photos you took of it.

Ciao! again,

Brock

Last edited:
Ciao! Piergiovanni,

Glad to hear the focuser knob is smoother, didn't care much for the focuser on the old (slow focus) EL I tried, which turned harder in one direction than the other. Definitely not what I expected at that price point.

Two weeks? What are you going to do a stretched out early Messier Marathon? :)

When the 8.5x and 10x42 SV ELs first came out, some 10x owners also reported seeing less "rolling ball" in their 10x after comparing them to the 8.5x. Could be the larger the FOV, the more obvious the "rolling ball". Holger and Henry both mentioned this about bins with narrower FOV showing less "rolling ball" even when they have a low amount of pincushion (though 6.6* is by no means narrow for a 10x50).

Since you see "rolling ball" in the 8.5x model, I'm wondering if the "rolling ball" eventually disappeared (some people adopt to it over time), or did you just not find it annoying?

Looking forward to your review of the 10x50 SV EL.

Btw, I enjoy reading binomania (the best I can, with Google's broken English translation). I particularly liked the review of the 8x42 SLC-HD and all the nice photos you took of it.

Ciao! again,

Brock

Hi Brock, thanks for the attention
Like you know, the perception of rolling ball effect is very subjective. Obviously if the FOV is narrow, lower is its perception. Today, by freehand, i thought there was a "little" pincushion distortion, but I have to check with the binoculars mounted on a tripod before confirming this thing. This afternoon I have preferred to see the animals with binoculars rather than do boring test . I would be more technical and precise, but I have difficulty writing in English, i am sorry for this:-C
Here's another pic
:

Attachments

• swarovision10x502.jpg
    swarovision10x502.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 843
Piergiovanni,

The distortion in the 8.5x42 SV EL is complex and resembles the distortion in the Russian BPO 7x30. In the thread below there is a link in my post #45 to photographs of the 8.5x42 SV EL distortion. Holger Merlitz' post # 42 has a link to his description of the distortion in the BPO 7x30. It would be interesting to know whether the new SV EL models use the same form of compound distortion.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2054071#post2054071

Brock,

FWIW, anything I said about distortion vs FOV applied to apparent FOV, not real field.

Henry

Piergiovanni,

The distortion in the 8.5x42 SV EL is complex and resembles the distortion in the Russian BPO 7x30. In the thread below there is a link in my post #45 to photographs of the 8.5x42 SV EL distortion. Holger Merlitz' post # 42 has a link to his description of the distortion in the BPO 7x30. It would be interesting to know whether the new SV EL models use the same form of compound distortion.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2054071#post2054071

Brock,

FWIW, anything I said about distortion vs FOV applied to apparent FOV, not real field.

Henry

Thanks for clarifying that. It seems odd that the 10x would show less "rolling ball" yet have a larger AFOV (66* for the 10x50 vs. 64.6* for the 8.5x42).

Something else must be at work. Perhaps the distortion pattern is different.

Brock

Hi Brock, thanks for the attention
Like you know, the perception of rolling ball effect is very subjective. Obviously if the FOV is narrow, lower is its perception. Today, by freehand, i thought there was a "little" pincushion distortion, but I have to check with the binoculars mounted on a tripod before confirming this thing. This afternoon I have preferred to see the animals with binoculars rather than do boring test . I would be more technical and precise, but I have difficulty writing in English, i am sorry for this:-C
Here's another pic
:

Your English is much better than my Italian (my grandparents on my mother's side spoke fluent Italian, but I only picked up the hand gestures -:).

Thanks for those additional pix. Some people collect alpha bins, I collect photos of them. :)

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back