• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (3 Viewers)

Do you have an actual scientific name to go with Snoring bird?

It's first mentioned a few posts back Mysticete - it has a few names but known as Snoring Rail in Opus - Aramidopsis plateni. I had to do a bit of research to find it LOL.

yeah however I am not convinced that the poster's "snoring bird" and the aforementioned Snoring Rail are the same thing

I am researching this whole Kiwi species thing and will try to get it sorted.

It would appear to me that currently there are five species of Kiwi.

North Island Brown (A. mantelli)
Okarito Brown (A. rowi)
Southern Brown (A. australis)
* The Stewart Island Southern Brown (A. a. lawryi) is a subspecies of the Southern Brown
Great Spotted A. haastii)
Little Spotted (A. owenii)

** I think it would be wise not to include subspecies into the lists, so Chlidonias, it looks like I will probably be moving the Steward Island Southern Brown Kiwi you saw to the seen list as Southern Brown Kiwi.

Larry

No point in adding any Kiwis to the not seen list (if that is suggested). Plenty of folk have seen most of them and I've seen the three on South island for example. The only birds that may worth adding at some of the more difficult Chatham endemics and I recall someone on here has seen all of those I think?

cheers, alan

Both Chatham Island Snipe and Robin are listed as seen, which I would assume would be the two tougher endemics to those islands...

Carlos

I am researching this whole Kiwi species thing and will try to get it sorted.

It would appear to me that currently there are five species of Kiwi.

North Island Brown (A. mantelli)
Okarito Brown (A. rowi)
Southern Brown (A. australis)
* The Stewart Island Southern Brown (A. a. lawryi) is a subspecies of the Southern Brown
Great Spotted A. haastii)
Little Spotted (A. owenii)
that is correct, but as lewis20126 says, not really any point putting them on the list because all have been commonly seen (although I haven't managed to see the darn great spotted kiwi yet)

In lieu of the recent posts here I will not put any of the various species of Kiwi on the lists. Thanks to all of you for your comments.

* Currently there are 208 species on the "Not seen" list and 204 on the "Seen" list.

The only birds that may worth adding at some of the more difficult Chatham endemics and I recall someone on here has seen all of those I think?

cheers, alan

Just don't mention the bloody pigeon...

As I was on SE I didn't get the parakeet either...not enough time to get back out there and do a second month...

McM

Larry

No point in adding any Kiwis to the not seen list (if that is suggested). Plenty of folk have seen most of them and I've seen the three on South island for example. The only birds that may worth adding at some of the more difficult Chatham endemics and I recall someone on here has seen all of those I think?

cheers, alan

Alan, which of the "more difficult Chatham endemics" would you suggest that I put on the "Not seen" list?

Larry

How about these bird species for the 'not seen' list?:

Manus Fantail
New Britain Thicketbird
Bougainville Thicketbird
Guadalcanal Thicketbird
New Britain Thrush
Bougainville Thrush
Guadalcanal Thrush
Mountain Starling
Royal Parrotfinch

Carlos

How about these bird species for the 'not seen' list?:

Manus Fantail
New Britain Thicketbird
Bougainville Thicketbird
Guadalcanal Thicketbird
New Britain Thrush
Bougainville Thrush
Guadalcanal Thrush
Mountain Starling
Royal Parrotfinch

Carlos

I think Ficedula has seen a fair few of those?

a

Species added today to the "Not seen" list.

Forbes' Parakeet (by Alan)

and these (suggested by Carlos)
Bougainville Thicketbird
Bougainville Thrush
Guadalcanal Thicketbird
Guadalcanal Thrush
Manus Fantail (Carlos)
Mountain Starling (Aplonis santovestris)
New Britain Thicketbird
New Britain Thrush
Royal Parrotfinch

Carlos, I assume that the Mountain Starling you mention is Aplonis santovestris, since the Pohnpei Mountain Starling (Aplonis pelzelni) is already on the "Not seen" list.

Larry et al., happily have to say you have now to remove the only puffbird you have in the non-seen list and move it to the seen list... we got Sooty-capped Puffbird (Bucco noanamae) last week in the Antioquia chocoan region of Uraba... AMAZING bird!... yet processing photos and videos but here I attach a snapshot from my camera screen from the field.... cool cool endemic! ;-)

Attachments

• Sooty-capped Puffbird - Colombian endemic - COLOMBIA Birding!.jpg
    Sooty-capped Puffbird - Colombian endemic - COLOMBIA Birding!.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 68
Yes, the Mountain Starling in Vanuatu -- not the possibly extinct one in Micronesia.

Carlos

The one on Pohnpei is probably still extant but - thick forest on nearly vertical slopes with almost daily monsoon-type rain, no wonder I 'dipped' ( and swore a lot ) last year. ;(

Chris

These are fairly easy on the slopes of the Tien Shan range around the Astronomical Observatory above Almaty in Kazakhstan, which is on the itinerary of pretty much all the birding trips to this country, so I doubt I'll be the only one on BF to have seen them.

How about Kinglet Calyptura!

James

Been last year in the aera, and search for one day. Sadly I could not found the bird.
Mathieu

Attachments

• Endemic Sooty-capped Puffbird - Bucco noanamae 5 - Bocas del Atrato, Choco.JPG
    Endemic Sooty-capped Puffbird - Bucco noanamae 5 - Bocas del Atrato, Choco.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Endemic Sooty-capped Puffbird - Bucco noanamae 8 - Bocas del Atrato, Choco.JPG
    Endemic Sooty-capped Puffbird - Bucco noanamae 8 - Bocas del Atrato, Choco.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Endemic Sooty-capped Puffbird - Bucco noanamae 9 - Bocas del Atrato, Choco.JPG
    Endemic Sooty-capped Puffbird - Bucco noanamae 9 - Bocas del Atrato, Choco.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 43
I thought I'd attempt to approach this in a slightly more structured way, so here's a list from www.bubo.org of all species which no listers have on their Clements World list, and which are not already in Larry's list, as far as I can tell (although some of them will be there under different names, no doubt). I would guess that there will be some genuine additions to Larry's list amongst this lot, as well as many that will have been seen by at least one contributor. You'll be saying I've taken all of the fun out of this now.

Afghan Snowfinch, Alagoas Antwren, Aldabra Brush-Warbler, Aldabra Drongo, Amami Woodcock, Amber Mountain Rock-Thrush, Anambra Waxbill, Anchieta's Barbet, Annobon White-eye, Antioquia Brush-Finch, Archer's Buzzard, Arrowhead Piculet, Atoll Fruit-Dove, Auckland Islands Rail, Babbling Starling, Bahama Oriole, Baka Indigobird, Baker's Imperial-Pigeon, Bamboo Warbler, Band-bellied Crake, Bare-eyed Myna, Bare-faced Rail, Bare-legged Swiftlet, Barred Tinamou, Baudo Oropendola, Baumann's Greenbul, Bearded Screech-Owl, Bearded Wood-Partridge, Beautiful Treerunner, Bedford's Paradise-Flycatcher, Biak Flycatcher, Biak Monarch, Black Oropendola, Black-backed Monarch, Black-backed Tanager, Black-backed Thornbill, Black-capped Screech-Owl, Black-capped Siskin, Black-cheeked Lovebird, Black-chested Honeyeater, Black-eared Ground-Thrush, Black-throated Blue Robin, Black-tipped Monarch, Blue Lorikeet, Blue-crowned Laughingthrush, Blue-eared Lory, Blyth's Rosefinch, Bob-tailed Weaver, Bocage's Sunbird, Bolivian Recurvebill, Bonaparte's Parakeet, Bornean Peacock-Pheasant, Boulton's Batis, Brazza's Martin, Brown-chested Barbet, Brown-collared Brush-Turkey, Buff-bellied Monarch, Buff-browed Chachalaca, Buff-cheeked Tody-Flycatcher, Buff-fronted Owl, Buru Cuckoo-shrike, Buru Honeyeater, Buru Jungle-Flycatcher, Buru Racquet-tail, Buru Thrush, Buru White-eye, Bush Wren, Cabot's Tragopan, Calayan Rail, Cambodian Laughingthrush, Cameroon Francolin, Camiguin Hanging-Parrot, Caracas Brush-Finch, Carrizal Seedeater, Caspian Tit, Caura Antbird, Chaco Nothura, Chapin's Mountain-Babbler, Chestnut-bellied Cotinga, Chestnut-flanked Sparrowhawk, Chestnut-headed Nunlet, Christmas Island Warbler, Cinnamon Weaver, Cinnamon-backed Fantail, Clarion Wren, Cloud-forest Screech-Owl, Cocos Cuckoo, Cocos Finch, Cocos Flycatcher, Collared Lark, Colombian Crake, Colorful Puffleg, Cone-billed Tanager, Congo Sunbird, Cook Islands Reed-Warbler, Creamy-bellied Antwren, Cretzschmar's Babbler, Crimson-hooded Myzomela, Dapple-throat, Djibouti Francolin, Dot-eared Coquette, Dusky Tetraka, Dusky-backed Jacamar, Eared Poorwill, Ecuadorian Tapaculo, Elliot's Pheasant, Emin's Shrike, Enggano Myna, Enggano Scops-Owl, Enggano Thrush, Enggano White-eye, Eskimo Curlew, Fernando Po Batis, Fernando Po Speirops, Flores Green-Pigeon, Flores Hawk-Eagle, Flores Scops-Owl, Forest Bittern, Frill-necked Monarch, Fulvous-chinned Nunlet, Ghana Cuckoo-shrike, Glow-throated Hummingbird, Golden Parakeet, Golden-backed Whistler, Gold-fronted Fulvetta, Gosling's Apalis, Grant's Bluebill, Greater Ground-Robin, Green-naped Tanager, Grey Ground-Thrush, Grey Wren, Grey-banded Munia, Grey-bellied Antbird, Grey-breasted Parakeet, Grey-capped Cuckoo, Grey-crowned Palm-Tanager, Grey-headed Antbird, Grey-sided Scimitar-Babbler, Guadalcanal Honeyeater, Hainan Leaf-Warbler, Harlequin Antbird, Heard Island Shag, Henderson Island Fruit-Dove, Henderson Island Reed-Warbler, Henna-tailed Jungle-Flycatcher, Hoffmanns's Woodcreeper, Hooded Antpitta, Hooded Gnateater, Hooded Whistler, Horned Curassow, Humaita Antbird, Humboldt's Sapphire, Imitator Sparrowhawk, Iranian Ground-Jay, Iringa Akalat, Iris Lorikeet, Kaempfer's Tody-Tyrant, Kimberley Honeyeater, Kordofan Lark, Lake Lufira Masked-Weaver, Laysan Duck, Laysan Finch, Leaden Honeyeater, Lesser Hoopoe-Lark, Little Brown Bustard, Long-crested Pygmy-Tyrant, Long-legged Warbler, Long-tailed Cinclodes, Long-tufted Screech-Owl, Long-whiskered Owlet, Louisiade Flowerpecker, Louisiade White-eye, Luzon Rail, Lyre-tailed Honeyguide, Madagascar Serpent-Eagle, Malherbe's Parakeet, Manipur Bush-Quail, Manus Owl, Marquesan Reed-Warbler, Marquesan Swiftlet, Marquesas Imperial-Pigeon, Marsh Seedeater, Marsh Tapaculo, Masafuera Rayadito, Masked Lark, Mayr's Rail, Mentawai Scops-Owl, Millerbird, Minahassa Owl, Mindoro Imperial-Pigeon, Mindoro Scops-Owl, Moheli Scops-Owl, Moluccan Woodcock, Monteiro's Bushshrike, Moreau's Sunbird, New Britain Bronzewing, New Britain Goshawk, New Britain Masked-Owl, New Britain Rail, New Hebrides Honeyeater, Niam-Niam Parrot, Nias Myna, Niceforo's Wren, Nicobar Jungle-Flycatcher, Nicobar Scrubfowl, Niuafoou Scrubfowl, Nocturnal Curassow, Nonggang Babbler, Nubian Bustard, Ocellated Quail, Orinoco Softtail, Oriole Cuckoo-shrike, Palawan Striped-Babbler, Pale-faced Bare-eye, Pale-throated Tapaculo, Pale-throated Wren-Babbler, Palm Lorikeet, Panay Striped-Babbler, Paria Brush-Finch, Perija Metaltail, Pfrimer's Parakeet, Pirre Bush-Tanager, Pirre Hummingbird, Pirre Warbler, Pitcairn Reed-Warbler, Polynesian Ground-Dove, Polynesian Imperial-Pigeon, Polynesian Swiftlet, Poo-uli, Purple-naped Lory, Quailfinch Indigobird, Red-and-black Thrush, Red-billed Brush-Turkey, Red-collared Mountain-Babbler, Red-crowned Malimbe, Red-winged Wood-Rail, Reischek's Parakeet, Rimitara Reed-Warbler, Rio Orinoco Spinetail, Rubeho Akalat, Rufescent White-eye, Rufous Fishing-Owl, Rufous Monarch, Rufous-throated White-eye, Rufous-winged Sunbird, Russet-crowned Quail-Dove, Rusty Lark, Rusty Thicketbird, Rusty Tinamou, Rusty-bellied Shortwing, Rusty-necked Piculet, Rusty-throated Parrotbill, Rusty-winged Starling, Saffron-breasted Redstart, Samoan White-eye, San Cristobal Moorhen, Sandy Scops-Owl, Sanford's White-eye, Santa Cruz Ground-Dove, Santa Cruz White-eye, Santa Marta Sabrewing, Sao Francisco Sparrow, Sassi's Greenbul, Scaled Ground-Cuckoo, Scimitar-winged Piha, Seram Thrush, Shelley's Crimson-wing, Siberian Grouse, Sichuan Partridge, Simeulue Scops-Owl, Sinaloa Martin, Sincora Antwren, Sind Woodpecker, Slate-colored Antbird, Slaty Cuckoo-Dove, Slaty Cuckoo-shrike, Slaty-backed Hemispingus, Slaty-mantled Goshawk, Slender-tailed Cisticola, Snares Island Snipe, Socorro Dove, Socorro Mockingbird, Socorro Wren, Solomon Islands Frogmouth, Somali Boubou, Somali Grosbeak, Sombre Pigeon, Sooty Shrike-Thrush, South Island Snipe, Spiny-faced Antshrike, Stephen's Lorikeet, Streaked Bowerbird, Striolated Tit-Spinetail, Sula Cuckoo-shrike, Sula Hanging-Parrot, Sula Pitta, Sula Scrubfowl, Sulawesi Cuckoo, Sulawesi Woodcock, Sumatran Laughingthrush, Sumba Boobook, Sunda Lapwing, Tacarcuna Wood-Quail, Taczanowski's Tinamou, Tagula Butcherbird, Tagula Honeyeater, Tahiti Monarch, Tahiti Reed-Warbler, Talaud Kingfisher, Taliabu Owl, Tana River Cisticola, Tanganyika Masked-Weaver, Tanimbar Scrubfowl, Tanna Fruit-Dove, Tanzania Seedeater, Tawny-breasted Tinamou, Tawny-tufted Toucanet, Ticking Doradito, Timor Bush-Warbler, Timor Green-Pigeon, Timor Imperial-Pigeon, Todd's Nightjar, Togian Hawk-Owl, Togian White-eye, Togo Paradise-Whydah, Tongan Whistler, Tooth-billed Pigeon, Tsingy Wood-Rail, Tuamotu Kingfisher, Tuamotu Reed-Warbler, Unicolored Thrush, Urich's Tyrannulet, Vanikoro Monarch, Vanikoro White-eye, Vanuatu Petrel, Vanuatu Scrubfowl, Varied Solitaire, Venezuelan Flowerpiercer, Vietnam Partridge, Vietnamese Pheasant, Vilcabamba Thistletail, Vincent's Bunting, Viridian Dacnis, Visayan Miniature-Babbler, Wallace's Scops-Owl, Wattled Brush-Turkey, Wattled Curassow, Wattled Smoky Honeyeater, Wetar Figbird, Wetar Ground-Dove, White-capped Fruit-Dove, White-chinned Myzomela, White-eyed Starling, White-masked Antbird, White-throated Pewee, White-throated White-eye, White-throated Wren-Babbler, White-tipped Monarch, Williams's Lark, Xinjiang Ground-Jay, Yapacana Antbird, Yellow-breasted Satinbird, Yellow-green Finch, Yellow-legged Weaver, Yellow-throated Laughingthrush, Zimmer's Tapaculo

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back