• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Nikon Se (1 Viewer)

As i ordered the Nikon SE recently i was concerned about the repair service if the SE will be discontinued. Therefore i asked directly at the repair service. Thats the answer ...

"Sehr geehrter Herr ******,

vielen Dank für Ihre E-Mail.
Selbstverständlich werden auch nach der Einstellung der Produktion
weiterhin Ersatzteile hergestellt die für Reparaturen benötigt werden.

"

As good as i can translate ...

"Of course, even if the production is stoped we will produce the necessary parts to deliver repairservice."

Thats what the Nikon Repair Service in Germany told me. Now lets hope that the tail knows what the head does ;)

Re: modularity and parts. Ceasar is absolutely right about Nikon's apparent long-term vision for this series. But a caveat. A friend just sent in his very worn 10x42 SEs for cleaning/repairs, and Nikon informed him they no longer have spare parts for the SEs.

David Swain

David ..... Was you friend's SE under a Nikon USA warranty? If so, could tell us how Nikon handled the problem? Thanks.

Gijs van Ginkel;2756915 Although it is a beautiful binocular to look at: well made and very nice design said:
Holy cow, reality ;). I avoided even looking at this thread because I figured it would be yet one more SE love fest. Don't misunderstand me, I've seen them several times and yes they are a very good glass, even an excellent one, but they are earth bound, and like all things designed by man, they have their failings.

David ..... Was you friend's SE under a Nikon USA warranty? If so, could tell us how Nikon handled the problem? Thanks.

Yes, USA warranty, but he never located his card so they were going to default to the $25 flat fee. His 10x are 13 years old and about as worn as I have seen, with a smooth focus wheel and baggy, hand-polished rubber cover, many cleaning marks, a small collimation error, but still wicked sharp and solid.

They told him they did not have parts to repair his SE, and added that in some cases they are replacing SEs with Premiers.

I was the person whose EIIs could not/would not be repaired last summer, and were replaced with my current SEs. As an upgrade, I was initially delighted, they are terrific binoculars, but I have come to really miss my EIIs. You know the story.

David Swain

Yes, USA warranty, but he never located his card so they were going to default to the $25 flat fee. His 10x are 13 years old and about as worn as I have seen, with a smooth focus wheel and baggy, hand-polished rubber cover, many cleaning marks, a small collimation error, but still wicked sharp and solid.

They told him they did not have parts to repair his SE, and added that in some cases they are replacing SEs with Premiers.

I was the person whose EIIs could not/would not be repaired last summer, and were replaced with my current SEs. As an upgrade, I was initially delighted, they are terrific binoculars, but I have come to really miss my EIIs. You know the story.

David Swain
In the absence of a repair, do you know what Nikon will do for him? Personally, I would not consider the Premier roof a suitable replacement. An EDG might do it, but not a Premier.

An EDG might do it, but not a Premier.

Tangent: Why would Eagle Optics place a brand new Nikon EDG 8x32 Binocular on eBay with a starting bid of $1,000+ free shipg (only about a 1.9 day bidding window) when you can buy it from their website for $1,815 (No Buy it Now price on eBay)?

Is this just marketing on their part (feels like a micro mini sale)?

And can you get a significant discounted buy this way? Just curious if any of you have tried to buy optics this way.

David Swain

David ... Thanks for replying. I do have a question on exactly which model Nikon they will send out as a replacement for your friends 10X42 SE.

Is it the Nikon Premier SE 10X42 porro (like he has now but with a slightly different name)?

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/7311/Premier-SE-10x42.html

Or is it the Nikon Premier 10X42 roof?

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/7536/Premier-10X42.html

If I understand the history, the SE used to have a name similar to 10X42 SE CF, then a few years ago the name changed to 10X42 Premier SE. They also made some glass changes (non lead) and coating changes but the binocular is basically the same. The Nikon Premier SE 10X42 is still a current and an available model so I would assume they would replace his old unit with it. It gets confusing when Nikon uses parts of the same naming convention for two different designs. (Then there are the Monarchs!)

It is interesting Nikon could not do a direct replacement of your EII since it is still available from Asia dealers. I am assuming Nikon USA could not do a direct replacement because Nikon USA no longer distributes the EII. You might be the victim of the Nikon bureaucracy.

Tangent: Why would Eagle Optics place a brand new Nikon EDG 8x32 Binocular on eBay with a starting bid of $1,000+ free shipg (only about a 1.9 day bidding window) when you can buy it from their website for $1,815 (No Buy it Now price on eBay)?

Is this just marketing on their part (feels like a micro mini sale)?

And can you get a significant discounted buy this way? Just curious if any of you have tried to buy optics this way.

Eagle Optics lost their Nikon dealership several months ago and dropped the price you now see on the web site at that time. Looks like it is time to clear them out and they are liquidating them on eBay. It is potentially an absolutely fantastic deal, depending on how high the bidding goes. Of the first two EDG-II 8X32s, I think one went for about $1,200 and I think the other was a little less! These are brand new with the full Nikon warranty from a first class vendor.

To bad they did not have any 8X42 models. The most active has been the 7X42 with the last one going for, I think, near $1,600. On the other hand, there have been no bids on the previous two 10X32 units. To bad because the view is the same as the EDG-II 10X42 except for about the first and last 15 minutes of light when it will be somewhat dimmer. If that is not important (as it is important in hunting), then one may be able to get a lighter, smaller, world class binocular for the $1,000 starting bid.

Re: cold and rain. A friend spent two very wet weeks in May in Alaska (including St. Paul Is.) with her SEs. She was careful and only once got some mild fogging.

Re: modularity and parts. Ceasar is absolutely right about Nikon's apparent long-term vision for this series. But a caveat. A friend just sent in his very worn 10x42 SEs for cleaning/repairs, and Nikon informed him they no longer have spare parts for the SEs.

David Swain

Did he ask Nikon to look into specific problems to correct that would require new parts? Or was it sent in for complete refurbishing? Collimating an SE should not be a problem any time unless the objective tubes are shot. Neither should a completely new focus wheel or new prisms be a problem unless Nikon had none of these parts anymore. If the latter were the case no SE model could be repaired.

Bob

Without an actual transcript of my friend's conversation with Nikon, we can only speculate on the meaning of "we have no parts," but he was primarily asking for a new focusing wheel, cleaning, and collimation check. The latter two, of course, don't require parts.

As in my experience with my EII, they could have been repaired/replaced in terms of Nikon's global structure, but Nikon USA acts for marketing purposes as if it is Nikon. Essentially, if they don't have it, it no longer exists. I never had the chance to discuss the whys and why nots of EIIs; my friend is having a similar experience with his SEs.

Now this is just one anecdotal data point, and it only suggests that Nikon USA is not stocking parts for SEs at this moment. Yes, there are probably ample parts in Japan or elsewhere, but for whatever reason Nikon USA will likely do nothing to restore my friend's old SEs except replace them with Premier roofs.

For what it's worth, he upgraded to Swarovisions two years ago and never looked back, and it was only after I'd borrowed his SEs for several months and urged him to get them fixed that he sent them in. He's frankly delighted they might upgrade them.

I'll let you know what happens.

David Swain

Last edited:
Without an actual transcript of my friend's conversation with Nikon, we can only speculate on the meaning of "we have no parts," but he was primarily asking for a new focusing wheel, cleaning, and collimation check. The latter two, of course, don't require parts.

As in my experience with my EII, they could have been repaired/replaced in terms of Nikon's global structure, but Nikon USA acts for marketing purposes as if it is Nikon. Essentially, if they don't have it, it no longer exists. I never had the chance to discuss the whys and why nots of EIIs; my friend is having a similar experience with his SEs.

Now this is just one anecdotal data point, and it only suggests that Nikon USA is not stocking parts for SEs at this moment. Yes, there are probably ample parts in Japan or elsewhere, but for whatever reason Nikon USA will likely do nothing to restore my friend's old SEs except replace them with Premier roofs.

For what it's worth, he upgraded to Swarovisions two years ago and never looked back, and it was only after I'd borrowed his SEs for several months and urged him to get them fixed that he sent them in. He's frankly delighted they might upgrade them.

I'll let you know what happens.

David Swain

He might be able to get it done faster if he inquired with Cory Suddarth in Texas who can do this work. Of course it would cost him more to do so. So if there is no hurry, wait and see.

Bob

He might be able to get it done faster if he inquired with Cory Suddarth in Texas who can do this work. Of course it would cost him more to do so. So if there is no hurry, wait and see.

Bob

Yes, I fear the best way to keep older premium Nikon porros in service is not to send them to Nikon. I hope I am wrong in feeling that Nikon USA is waging a war of attrition on EIIs/SEs through their warranty dept.

David

Finally! Re: 8x32 SE CF's

I'm calling first dibs!

Won the bid! |:d|

Now I still have the other Premier SEs on backorder from Optics Planet. I might just have them fulfill it and compare the two for differences and keep one...

I am really looking forward to reviewing these and will post when I have them for a bit.

Thanks everyone for their views/opinions/advice. You all rock. :t:

If anyone's interested, I've put my SE on ebay. It's a 503 series, which I've never seen mentioned, even by our maven Brock. Have all but quit birding, other than backyard and by the lake from the pickup, so haven't used for a while.

Oh, and Bob, Cory is in Henryetta, OK, not TX. Just FYI. Thx

I asked my friend for some clarification on what he was told by Nikon USA Customer Service; I thought what he initially told me was a bit too categorical to be believable.

He was told that if they had the parts, they would fix them, but if not they would replace them, but not with Superior Es (this was were he indicated that some had been replaced with equivalent Premiers).

For what it's worth!

David

I suppose we need to keep things going on news on the SE.

I just saw a recently listed 8x32 SE sell on the auction site with
a fresh build date and with the ser. # of 551xxx. So that is news
as otherwise the latest ones have been starting with a 550xxx in
recent posts here.

So it looks like they are making several hundred each year.

Jerry

Last edited:
According to a previous posting by Brock, the most current 8X32 serial number series was 550xxx.

"The latest series SEs (550 8x, 050 10x, and 350 12x) are already bright, color saturated, and contrasty, but the CA goes up in direct proportion to the magnification. The 12x50s in particular could use ED glass for terrestrial use."

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2514345&postcount=10

Maybe Nikon made 999 in the 550xxx series and had to increment the number. What is the highest 550xxx series serial number out there?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back