• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (9 Viewers)

BSII vs Mojave 8x32's

Quick ? For Frank, or any others. Has anyone here done a direct comparison between the Sightron 8x32 and a Leupold Mohave 8x32 ( the closed bridge Mohave, not the new open bridge one)?

And what was your consensus concerning optical differences.

Thanks

I have both, if you mean not the double hinged new Mojave. Last year's model, is what I have, with the single hinge. You can read my comments about them here, in a sale post I put up for the Mojaves, but I waffle back and forth which to keep, and give my reasons as well in the thread.

So there is some useful info there if you don't mind reading. Overall though, either would make me happy if I didn't have the other. I would be open to answer any direct questions you might have in a PM if so. Here's the post:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=290957

OK, another left handed comparison. Somewhere back a ways (quite a way) in this thread I made some comments on the Theron Wapiti 8x32 LT. I also did a review on this glass. I had the Theron I have and the very Sightron Frank has side by side at the same time. Making a clear cut choice between those two was impossible...impossible. I just about bought a Sightron just for grins, but frankly, I'd just bought the Theron glass just before the Sightron stuff erupted. There were two ways the Theron is nicer than the Sightron, it does not have the Klingon ridges and it has a bit a bit wider fov.

I do have the Mojave 8x32. It is a bit better optically. I think it is brighter, has slightly better contrast and I liked it well enough I bought it even though I have the Theron.

Last edited:
Actually it was the only one Brock but I didn't buy it. Me no like 10x.

;)

As for the Sightrons, I will make you a deal. If I find one with a particularly easy focuser then you have to buy it.

:)

If you catch me on a good month, it's a deal. I wanted to buy an 8x30 M7, but a BS II would be better for my budget. Right now, vet bills and 125 crows have got me strapped. I feed squirrels and birds in the winter, both in my backyard and across the street in the park (I reckon about 40 squirrels and at least twice as many birds). Penn State chased the crows off campus with explosives, and they found the sunflower seeds and peanuts and descended on them like a black cloud, leaving only a dust of shells behind. I've taken to hiding the peanuts in holes in the trees so the squirrels can get them, but the sunflower seeds are still vulnerable, so I've had to increase what I put out, and it's getting expensive. In fact, the price of sunflower seeds just went up this week by $5 per 50# bag. I used to go through a bag per week in the winter, now I'm going through a bag in four days.

I could feed 20 or so crows, but not 125. Tomorrow, I'm calling Penn State and asking where I can send the food bill for their crows.

Brock

Quick ? For Frank, or any others. Has anyone here done a direct comparison between the Sightron 8x32 and a Leupold Mohave 8x32 ( the closed bridge Mohave, not the new open bridge one)?

And what was your consensus concerning optical differences.

Thanks

I did the Mojave/Sightron comparison as well. I think I posted it in the Mojave thread at some point. The Mojave was the first 8x32, as I moved up the price scale, that I thought bettered the Sightron in a couple of areas.....field of view obviously and sweet spot size. Loved the ergonomics of the Mojave too. Great little glass. A good 40% more expensive than the Sightron though ($180 versus $300..the last time I checked).

My thoughts Sightron vs Opticron Oregon 4 8x32

In my search for my first decent pair of bins I narrowed it down and ordered these two for comparison. I had all weekend to play with them and feel I've spent enough time behind the glass of each to have some solid initial impressions.

Picked up the Sightrons for $161 and the Oregons for $121 from Optics Planet. Optically they are so dam close to each other. I spent time in early morning light, sunset, dusk, sunny day, cloudy day, looking into shadows, star/moon gazing, looking at things in close range, medium range, and horizon and 98-99% of the time I found the views to be identical.

Color was to my eyes nearly the same. Once in a while I thought there may be a slight difference, especially in the way yellows were portrayed, but as I looked and re-looked I decided they were close enough to call the same.

Sharpness/resolution - not sure if this is the same thing but for my beginners eye I will consider them the same. Again, so close I ended up declaring them identical. This resolution aspect I spent a lot of time studying. A dozen different times I found a sign that was just barely with reach of these bins and tried to read the sign. Several times I was ready to give the Oregons the tiniest nod in clarity but it was just so close that at the end of it all I declared a tie.

Contrast is the one area where there was a noticeably small difference with the Sightrons having slightly more contrast. Assuming this is due to the phase coating. In bright light I couldn't tell a difference but in lower light situations the increased contrast became noticeable, although just slightly so. The Sightrons almost gave the impression of a slightly brighter image in low light although I don't think that was the case, I believe it was the contrast giving the impression of increased brightness. Again we're talking about a 2-3% difference here, very small.

Brightness was the same until the low light situations and then the Sightrons appeared to have a small edge. Like I said maybe it was just better contrast but bottom line is that I slightly preferred the Sightrons in the low light situations.
When I turned the bins skyward to look at the night sky they were both able to resolve the moon craters as well as the moons of Jupiter equally well.

Now, the one definite optical difference I did encounter was possibly an eye relief issue with the Oregons. It seemed about 10-15% of the time I would put them to my eyes and found dark artifacting in the field of view. Sometimes to the point I would pull them away to make sure a lens cover wasn't on. This never once happened with the Sightrons. Not sure if it's a function of the shorter barrels with the Oregons or something else entirely but it was a little annoying.

I had these bins out in cold weather all weekend (single digits) and found the focusing knobs to both be adequate. They were both very smooth while indoors. The biggest gripe I have with the Sightrons is the crappy carrying case they threw in. It's cheap and doesn't even have an option for straps to carry it over your shoulder.. too bad.

On my scale the Sightrons came in at 17.0 oz and the Oregons at 18.2 oz. Not a big difference but it felt bigger then the numbers suggest. I have little doubt that if you handed both these bins to 20 people all 20 would declare the Sightrons lighter. They may feel lighter than they're weight because they are so well balanced in the hand.

I'm pretty sure I've decided to keep the sightrons for two reasons. One, I do enjoy the higher contrast views in less than ideal light, and two I did not care for the eye relief or whatever it was issue with the Oregons that caused the artifacting. I'll just have to find myself a decent case for the Sightrons.

Originally when I started looking for bins I thought I wanted an 8x25. More than one person on this forum chimed in and advised against that if it was to be my only pair of bins. I took that advice but now those 8x25's remain an itch that needs to be scratched so in a couple months I plan on picking up a pair of Hawke Sapphire ED 8x25's. Anxious to see how they compare in a head to head with the Sightrons :)

Interesting comparo, for me the case would probably be fine. I always take the straps off of the cases anyway and just use the bino strap.

Nicely done JasIA. I did a comparison of the Sightrons with several other "budget" (under $250) roof prism models at some point last year. The Opticron Oregon 4s were one of the other models.

From what I remember I didn't findy anything objectionable about the eye relief with the Oregons but then everyone's facial dimensions are different. I actually enjoyed the Oregon's view because of how wide it was and how large the sweet spot appeared to be. I also liked how compact they were.

In terms of image quality I definitely think they are a bargain for a non-phase coated $120 roof prism binocular. The image seemed very relaxed and I don't remember finding much that was objectionable. I do have vague recollections of a slight yellow/green color coast under certain lighting conditions but that was only under one or two occassions.

Glad you are happy with your Sightrons.

Just got the 10x32 Sightron SII Blue Sky bins for my birthday. They are fabulous! Was watching a black Phoebe catch a moth today and then zoomed in on a mourning dove. I've seen a zillion of them but never close up. Amazing. Of all the gadgets in the world for about the same price, I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner.

Glad we had at least one more individual post some comments on the 10x32 configuration. It is rare to find an acceptable 10x32 beyond the mid to upper tier price points.

Glad we had at least one more individual post some comments on the 10x32 configuration. It is rare to find an acceptable 10x32 beyond the mid to upper tier price points.

You can also compromise and get the Pentax 9x32 DCF BC for about $250.00 which, I am told, is a clone of the Signtron Blue Sky 8x32. You probably won't notice the difference between it and 10x. It is made in the Philippines and has a FOV of 351'@1000 yards with a generous "sweet spot," and is nice and bright.

It has the best eye cups I have ever used as far as eye relief goes. I can place the eye cups almost anywhere on my eyes and not get blackouts! I don't particularly like open frame binoculars but this one works for me!:t:

Bob

Good suggestion Bob. The Pentax is a little more expensive than the Sightron ($180 versus $250) but then you have the Pentax name behind the product. I look forward to the time when I can compare the two to see how much of a difference, if any, there is (beside the magnification).

I'd really like to try the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 to see what the hype is about, but I think I should wait for it go to on sale.

(FrankD, as head of marketing at Sightron 8-P, do you have any demo units available?)

I'd really like to try the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 to see what the hype is about, but I think I should wait for it go to on sale.

(FrankD, as head of marketing at Sightron 8-P, do you have any demo units available?)

I've already asked. I've got first dibs, right Frank?

Good suggestion Bob. The Pentax is a little more expensive than the Sightron ($180 versus $250) but then you have the Pentax name behind the product. I look forward to the time when I can compare the two to see how much of a difference, if any, there is (beside the magnification).

That would certainly be an interesting comparison. A cursory examination of the partnership in manufacturing between Ricoh-Pentax and Kenko-Tokina (the owners of Sightron) may give you some pointers. It would be nice if it wasn't just price differentiation.

You guys are funny. Not connected to Sightron in any way and only had one correspondence with them way back when this thread started.

A cursory examination of the partnership in manufacturing between Ricoh-Pentax and Kenko-Tokina (the owners of Sightron) may give you some pointers.

Was that sentence too long for you, Frank ?

You guys are funny. Not connected to Sightron in any way and only had one correspondence with them way back when this thread started.

I wasn't making any reference to you at all.

All the best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back