• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 8x32 wb, sv, sw? (1 Viewer)

What are the differences?

The model name is EL (probably stands for Ergonomic Light, but not sure..)

The SV (SwaroVision) models have field flattener lenses.
First version of the EL:s did not. They also had shorter ER and no rubber armoring inside of the grip (bare metal).

"The WB (it's actually "W B") is a combination of two items. The W stands for a German word that means "wide angle." For Swarovski binoculars, this means the apparent field of view is greater than 60°. The B, as noted above, is for a German word that means the instrument has twist-up eyecups
"
http://www.opticsreviewer.com/swarovski-binoculars.html

Last edited:
The B, as noted above, is for a German word that means the instrument has twist-up eyecups

Can I be more German than the Germans for a moment and observe that B stands for 'brille' meaning glasses and its original meaning was that the bins had sufficient eye relief for spectacle wearers to use them. Back in those days this was accomplished by folding rubber eyecups down but as VB points out today these have been replaced by eyecups that screw up and down.

Thank you, I will now rejoin Pedantics Anonymous.... :-O

Lee

The w b bins seem to be current. I have my doubts about "the bins had sufficient eye relief for spectacle wearers to use them." Maybe some but I doubt all!

Can I be more German than the Germans for a moment and observe that B stands for 'brille' meaning glasses and its original meaning was that the bins had sufficient eye relief for spectacle wearers to use them. Back in those days this was accomplished by folding rubber eyecups down but as VB points out today these have been replaced by eyecups that screw up and down.

Thank you, I will now rejoin Pedantics Anonymous.... :-O

Lee

Besserwisser is also a German word...starting with B. :-O

But you are correct, B stands for Brille, I owned a Zeiss BGAT bin in the past, fold down rubber eye cups, but still a B...

Last edited:
Besserwisser is also a German word...:-O

But you are correct, B stands for Brille, I owned a Zeiss BGAT bin in the past, fold down eye cups, but still a B...

Besserwisser? OK I plead guilty and yes I had one of those very same Dialyts from 1986 to 2003.

Lee

Used bins for sale.

Take a look through Gijs van Ginkel's excellent history of Swarovski Optik and I can only find SL, SLC, EL and CL designations for Swaro bins. Looks like SW was an error.

Jan was shooting to tickle our sense of humour by referring to S&W (Smith and Wesson). In some gun circles S&W humourously stands for short and weak (referring to S&W's .40 cal round) but I am sure Jan didn't mean anything to do with Swarovski. :-O

Lee

Last edited:
SW doesn't mean anything official. Everything else was described adequately in this thread. There is the EL WB (pre-Swarovision), Swarovision EL WB, and the Field Pro (which is basically the SV EL WB with the new strap, body armor, and objective covers).

Not too complicated, really...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back