• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions about Swarovski EL 10x32 WB, please (2 Viewers)

mhasman

United States
Hello,
I'm newbie on forum and in Swaro binoculars. Facing an opportunity to get used EL 10x32 WB in good condition. Few question, please
  • Am I right that it is 2012-year model, long-time discontinued?
  • How good are those binoculars overall? I would appreciate short cons/pros/experience notes.
  • What might be a good reasonable price to buy?
  • What would be best quick-sale price if I purchase but decide to let them go in a while?
Thank everyone!
Mark

Welcome

EL 10x32 WB could refer to the original (discontinued around 2012) or the Swarovision version discontinued in 2021 (with a switch to field pro for the last few years, but optically identical to the lugged version).

I've only experience of the swarovision version and really like them. Do you know which version is on offer (the original basically has a solid black centre whilst the swarovision has an inset patch of green or brown to match the barrels)?

If they're the Swarovision version then key strengths are very sharp right to the edge of the field, a very decent FoV for a 10x, compact and not overly heavy whilst solid feeling, clean colours (maybe slightly cool to some people but I'd consider them pretty neutral) and nicely balanced in the hand. Cons - the 3.2mm exit pupil does make them more finicky with eye position than 10x42s, but fine once you get used to them, and obviously the smaller exit pupil is noticeable approaching dusk. If you're very sensitive to rolling ball then obviously avoid these and other flat-field binoculars (it doesn't bother me). Some people report veiling glare under tricky light conditions a problem with ELs (I've never found it an issue). They're different to Zeiss SFs, but arguably the same quality point, which you prefer is really individual taste - I prefer ELs.

Price wise used from a binocular dealer in good condition you're talking around £1000 - £1100 for the lugged version in the UK, slightly more for FieldPro

I've no direct experience with older pre-Swarovision version.

I have a pair of Swarovski 8x32 ELs manufactured in 2012
I bought them from a local (and extremely reputable) local optics shop, where I was able to spend a hour on my own with them, examining them and looking through them.
They were and still are absolutely fantastic.

I suspect that you might not be able to visit the shop, which is a shame.
If you choose to purchase, make sure the seller has a good return policy - just in case

good luck

Thanks everyone, your responses are very helpful!
Seems like I've been offered with old version. Binoculars have old square strap mount. As it is going to be local private sale, I am not sure about return. So, risky...

IMG_4433.jpeg IMG_4434.jpeg

L74xxx would have been manufactured in 2004. I really liked the ELs of this vintage (pre-Swarovision) that I saw, and Swarovski service is excellent if ever needed. Do check them out for optical or mechanical problems though, and don't pay too much. Around $500-600 might seem attractive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back