• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with green coating of EL SV 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Anybody know? I wonder, does a certain level of repair require the old armor goes?
I had one eye piece detached and the cover on the focus wheel was slipping, not sure if they need to remove the armour to change an eye piece? Perhaps they have to access the barrel to replace or refit the eye piece in which case the armour would have to go.

Maybe there'll be a market for LensCoat for binoculars.. specifically Swarovski
I use this thin lightweight adhesive camo on my Canon 100-500mm. Easily cut and applied with no glue residue if removed -- works great. I was thinking of using it on the exposed metal rings on the barrels of a used Retrovid that was for sale. Would care less about appearance. Worthless though for an EL/NL.
Thin adhesive camo

Last edited:
These are my 8x32 EL SV after 3 years of use where they are cared for. Always returned to the case when not around my neck. Swarovski replaced armour FOC other than outgoing postage. Now, 5 years on, the armour is again splitting and in need of repair. Not what I expect from an alpha product.
1698904698180.png

These are my 8x32 EL SV after 3 years of use where they are cared for. Always returned to the case when not around my neck. Swarovski replaced armour FOC other than outgoing postage. Now, 5 years on, the armour is again splitting and in need of repair. Not what I expect from an alpha product.
View attachment 1541295
OMG, whoever decided to change the armouring to be more biodegradable needs sacking. Swarovski will lose some brand loyalty customers over the armouring issue.

View attachment 1541295
I am sorry! But this is the real problem with austrian armor biodegradable, particularly on these models of binoculars, which with time become sticky and cracked!
You can vote here:

Last edited:
View attachment 1541295
But at least Swarovski are aware of the issue and replace free of charge. I know it is a pain to send them in, but mine were returned door-to-door, free of charge, with a turnaround of 8 weeks. Given that this was in the middle of the Austrian summer holiday, then the time taken was pretty quick.
If mine start to look shabby again after some use, then I won't bother sending them in. There is a certain field-cred to running around with a tattered and bashed, but optically fully-functioning, pair of binoculars. As they have surely used the same biodegrable compound, then I expect the armouring will indeed disintergrate through time.
SW

Whenever you get them "serviced", lets us know how they fix them please. With same armour as bought or maybe some new materials.
I got an EL´s in 2021 so far no issues with the armour.
How can you recognise the new materials?

I've just had my EL 8.5 x 42 WB (what does WB mean?) model fixed at Swarovski and they've come back with new armouring, despite that not being the issue. I can only guess that they had to remove the old in order to fix my other problem.

Obviously, there is a chance now that my 'bins' have been downgraded with an inferior armour which will start to fall apart, I wonder what my rights are here if this happens? They were about fifteen years old and there were no issues at all with the armour.

View attachment 1541295
Wow your not kidding, that’s crazy.

Though I would say that in areas that are not cracking and peeling it does look like some rough use on the parts that are not peeling. Just sayin

I bought my EL SV 8x32 new in May 2019 and I have just noticed that the green plastic coating has started to peel off just where my right thumb touches the barrel. Has anyone noticed the problem of the green material peeling off, either there or elsewhere on the binoculars.

These are the first alpha binoculars that I have owned and I am extremely disappointed as my previously owned binoculars of lesser repute have never had this sort of problem. Of course the optical performance of the Swarovski bins remains excellent.

Mike
I had that problem with the Swarovski 8x42 EL and with my Canon IS. Both Manufactures made it good replacing the rubber coating. That damage can be caused by insect spray as I understand. Try and keep your hands clean when using them.
Bob

Presumably Swarovski are constantly working on the formula for their new armour, so we can hope that they develop a more-durable eco-friendly recipe going forwards.

Presumably Swarovski are constantly working on the formula for their new armour, so we can hope that they develop a more-durable eco-friendly recipe going forwards.
Don’t get me wrong I love Swarovski equipment and the company, but this has been going on for close to 10 years. It appears that there’s no cook in the kitchen.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back