• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with green coating of EL SV 8x32 (3 Viewers)

As we are not sure how big Swaro's armor problem is, something only they know that at this point, the ultimate actions Swarovski will need to take are an unknown. Seems a decent bet no one there, wants the word recall, thrown around. Given what we don't know, it also seems premature we promote the idea either. The implications to cost, reputation, the bottom line are large. If the failures are a small percent of all binos shipped, fix those and go may be sufficient. If repairs to now, are not long term fixes, and repeats are required that's not so cool. If returns are low, do to timing of the thing, but the implication is that eventually many/most will need it, thats something else. We wait.
Having just had my 'bins' repaired and armour replaced (new replacing old) needlessly, I worry for the longevity of my 'new' armour, unless 'Swaro' have fixed it without telling us?

Having just had my 'bins' repaired and armour replaced (new replacing old) needlessly, I worry for the longevity of my 'new' armour, unless 'Swaro' have fixed it without telling us?
It makes no sense if Swarovski would replace “older good armor” for the “new armor” knowing the last one gives problems after a while. They could easily choose not to do this as an extra service.
Doing this, knowing it gives a great change of problems, would be something as “seeking for problems“ I can not believe a company like Swarovski would take this change with their customers.
Since Swarovski still changes the armor with every bin they get for servicing I wonder if the problem is maybe not that big afterall (with respect for those who do suffer from problems with armoring)

Last edited:
It makes no sense if Swarovski would replace “older good armor” for the “new armor” knowing the last one gives problems after a while. They could easily choose not to do this as an extra service.
Doing this, knowing it gives a great change of problems, would be something as “seeking for problems“ I can not believe a company like Swarovski would take this change with their customers.
Since Swarovski still changes the armor with very bin they get for servicing I wonder if the problem is maybe not that big afterall (with respect for those who do suffer from problems with armoring)
Perhaps it's just an issue with 'heavy' users, many people go out every day, others, once a month?

Perhaps it's just an issue with 'heavy' users, many people go our every day, others, once a month?
Yes, guess it is a problem in some climates or heavy using.
if Swarovski aknowledge their current armor is problematic it would absolutely make no sense they would still expose users with perfectly good armor to the inferior armor after a service…

if Swarovski aknowledge their current armor is problematic it would absolutely make no sense they would still expose users with perfectly good armor to the inferior armor after a service…
Exactly my case, fifteen year old armour (multiple, strenuous trips to hot and cold places), no issues at all, replaced with what may be the faulty recipe.

Exactly my case, fifteen year old armour (multiple, strenuous trips to hot and cold places), no issues at all, replaced with what may be the faulty recipe.
It's been discussed before that the problematic armour is from ~2015 onwards when they changed to a more eco friendly material. Your 15 year old armour should be more robust.

Hopefully they have used the same material for your older bins, instead of switching you for this lousy eco material

Last edited:
That's exactly what they are doing now. See below replies from their customer service in response to my questions about the subpar material continuing to be used in repairs, which will likely recur in the same time frame in future.

"Make no sense" indeed!

"Due to the used sustainable material, extreme temperatures and frequently use may cause the material to degrade in some cases.
Within the guarantee period, we are very accommodating and will replace the armouring free of charge.
We are constantly working on improvements and adaptations.
At the moment, however, this reinforcement is the best and most environmentally friendly.
We will forward your honest feedback to our responsible product managers."

"Review of better armouring will take for sure some years.
So it is clearly better to exchange your armouring meanwhile"

It's been discussed before that the problematic armour is from ~2015 onwards when they changed to a more eco friendly material. Your 15 year old armour should be more robust.

Hopefully they have used the same material for your older bins, instead of switching you for this lousy eco material
That's the point, they replaced it when I had my 'bins' serviced a month ago.

That's exactly what they are doing now. See below replies from their customer service in response to my questions about the subpar material continuing to be used in repairs, which will likely recur in the same time frame in future.

"Make no sense" indeed!

"Due to the used sustainable material, extreme temperatures and frequently use may cause the material to degrade in some cases.
Within the guarantee period, we are very accommodating and will replace the armouring free of charge.
We are constantly working on improvements and adaptations.
At the moment, however, this reinforcement is the best and most environmentally friendly.
We will forward your honest feedback to our responsible product managers."

"Review of better armouring will take for sure some years.
So it is clearly better to exchange your armouring meanwhile"
That gives me no comfort what so ever!

My Leicas are over thirty years old and still perfect.

Anybody know? I wonder, does a certain level of repair require the old armor goes?
Every bino send in for a service gets new armour. Even if the armour is still okee. It's some kind of complimentary service (sometimes they need to remove the older armor for the repair itself.)
That's why I wonder how widespread the problem really is. Replacing good armour with degrading armour makes no sense for a company. It would make problems even bigger for Swarovski....
Makes more sense only replacing the armor on bino's with broken armour, not on every bino sent in.
So I don't get it why they do this, knowing it degrades a bino unless they don't see a real problem in it...
Furthermore I can't imagine it would take several years to develop a more robust armour when a widespread problem occurs.. Think Swarovski would be in a hurry if it hurt sales and it's certainly possible to high speed test durability in a lab. I worked for years in a paint/coating factory lab. There were many methods to "speed up time" in order to test durability on new products in a short period, imitating all kind of (weather) conditions. We were able to see in a few weeks time how paints and other coatings would look like after several years in harsh conditions.

Last edited:
Every bino send in for a service gets new armour. Even if the armour is still okee. It's some kind of complimentary service (sometimes they need to remove the older armor for the repair itself.)
That's why I wonder how widespread the problem really is. Replacing good armour with degrading armour makes no sense for a company. It would make problems even bigger for Swarovski....
Makes more sense only replacing the armor on bino's with broken armour, not on every bino sent in.
So I don't get it why they do this, knowing it degrades a bino unless they don't see a real problem in it...
Furthermore I can't imagine it would take several years to develop a more robust armour when a widespread problem occurs.. Think Swarovski would be in a hurry if it hurt sales and it's certainly possible to high speed test durability in a lab. I worked for years in a paint/coating factory lab. There were many methods to "speed up time" in order to test durability on new products in a short period, imitating all kind of (weather) conditions. We were able to see in a few weeks time how paints and other coatings would look like after several years in harsh conditions.
Think youre missing the question. Is it possible? I dont know. But is it such that certain, maybe many if not all, repairs require getting the old armor off to access the necessary fasteners, adjusting mechanisms? Otherwise kinda makes no sense do to it just because.. Bill Cook might Know.

I understand the point.
If I send it right now, they will fix it using the same worthless armor as the one I already have and it will be back in 2 years.

Or send it to them and instruct them not to fix it until they come up with a real fix.
In the mean time we tell them to send us a loaner 😏

Stupid question- if your armor deteriorates enough such that you can just peel it all off, what does the bino look like underneath? Does it look ok?

Stupid question- if your armor deteriorates enough such that you can just peel it all off, what does the bino look like underneath? Does it look ok?
At least at Swarovski, their binoculars being entirely in crystal, rubber armor protection is absolutely necessary. 😜

CRYST.jpg

More seriously, here on this vid', you jump at 2:09, and you get an idea of unarmored binoculars.

4.jpg

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back