• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharm el Sheikh area September 2010 (1 Viewer)

I paid in Egyptian pounds but I can't recall the individual sums.

I kept the entry tickets, which have the prices on the back (in US dollars for some reason).

Nabq; myself and the taxi driver two tickets at $5.

Ras Mohammed; three tickets at $5 each.

St Katherines; Only two tickets for me and my wife at 3$ each. Maybe the driver didn't need one. I recall that this visit was cheaper than the others.

the whole set-up is thoroughly confusing. With prices set in dollars but paid for in LE you don't really know what the hell you're getting.

These stories from Egypt surprise me. I bird in Libya and have very little trouble with check points or police.

My only problem in 18 months has been when a visiting friend used a scope near a petrochemical works. I personally have never been stopped even though I have been through countless checkpoints.

My main problem when birding is over-friendly children who want their photos taken.

Its amazing how wrong perceptions can be.

These stories from Egypt surprise me. I bird in Libya and have very little trouble with check points or police.

My only problem in 18 months has been when a visiting friend used a scope near a petrochemical works. I personally have never been stopped even though I have been through countless checkpoints.

My main problem when birding is over-friendly children who want their photos taken.

Its amazing how wrong perceptions can be.

I've watched birds in Israel for more years than I care to remember and I have had no problems at all, yet Egypt was a problem every single day. The sole reason why I won't go back to Egypt is the constant police harrasment which is completely over the top.

John.

I believe a lot of the checkpoints and security around Sharm (on top of the normal checkpoints on the desert roads) are a hangover from the multiple terrorist bombings in the resort centre 5 years ago - 88 killed and 200 wounded.

I can't comment on what goes on elsewhere in Egypt - I've not been, but they do seem keen on making things awkward for people to move about.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back