• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard South Africa (1 Viewer)

adamt123

Hello everyone,

I think the bird on this link (to iNat) might be a European honey buzzard. The image is from near Johannesburg and dated 21 June.

In the conversation, I'm "sitszasadam".

Someone else has suggest circus, but hoping that some of the experts here might be able to help - I know the image quality isn't great, but I thought it was worth sharing

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/53828839

Thanks

I Don't see a Harrier here, no facial disc and more importantly no tail projection (tail would be longer in Circus ranivorus)
small bill, yellow cere, yellow eye, wing tips reaching tail tip all good for second calendar year Honey Buzzard spending its second year in Africa

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back