• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (61 Viewers)

Arrived on the reserve at around 10 and saw the following:

Sailing Pool-

3 Mallard, 2 Tufted Duck (m+f), 6 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 2 Cormorant, Black-Headed Gull, 3 Lesser Black-Backed Gull over, Carrion Crow, Magpie, 8 Jackdaw, 1 Blackbird, 2 Wren, 1 Great Tit and 1 Long-Tailed Tit.

Flashes-

4 Mute Swan over, 7 Canada Goose, 23 Mallard, 50 Teal, 9 Coot, 5 Moorhen, 2 Cormorant over, 1 Oystercatcher, 8 Curlew, 400+ Lapwing, 28 Black-Headed Gull, 21 Woodpigeon, 3 Stock Dove, 1 Robin, 2 Dunnock, 1 Wren, 1 Carrion Crow, 1 Magpie, 7 Jackdaw, 1 Raven over transmitter field, 5 Blue Tit, 1 Great Tit, 1 Goldfinch over, 2 Greenfinch, 1 Bullfinch (m), 2 Pied Wagtail and 5 Meadow Pipit feeding in front of the hide.

Moors-

2 Mute Swan, 13 Canada Goose, 28 Greylag Goose, 1 Shelduck on North Moors, Mallard, 23 Shoveler, 28 Teal, 40 Pochard, 11 Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, 4 Grey Heron, 22 Cormorant, 1 Buzzard, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel, 1 Oystercatcher, 1 Curlew, 200+ Lapwing flew in from the Flashes, only 1 Snipe, 115+ Black-Headed Gull, 40 Woodpigeon over North Moors, 3 Carrion Crow, 2 Magpie, 4 Jackdaw, 1 Robin, 2 Dunnock, 4 Blackbird, 1 Song Thrush, 6 Blue Tit, 2 Great Tit, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Goldfinch, 2 Chaffinch and 1 Pied Wagtail.

Almost certainly 2 Oystercatcher on the reserve. Since earlier post the Lapwing flock at the Flashes hit 400+ birds and Curlew increased to 8. Pochard numbered 40 birds. Only saw the 1 Snipe which was surprising and no Grebe species at all. 43 species in total today

Chris

Last edited:
This Tuesday we will be moving to the FLASHES.
Primarily to assist Nick the Fox fencing Contractor.
This will involve us pruning the Blackthorn along the Meadow section of the Fencing.
We will also cut back blackthorn thicket that is encroaching on to the east shore of the 2nd Flash.

The reed bed in the meadow has been treated and should be dead now. So to create a more open vista to the benefit of breeding waders, we will brush cut the reeds and leave them in Situ..so NO RAKING8-P
Meet at the SAILING POOL car park 8.45 or at Flashes if you arrive later. Wellies will be required to access the work site.
John:t:

hi John ,just some thing that stuck me yesterday but couldn't judge from the hide. Could a hungry fox jump from the top of that new oak tree stump to the top of the fence? Will the fence need a bit more height in that area?

funny how a change mind can turn out for the best, after spending my 1st 1/2 hour in the moors west hide then decided to walk over to the flashes within 2
minutes of leaving it started to hail so I turned tail and went back and had an enjoyable hour and half . GSW .Blue, Great,Long Tailed and Coal tit,Robin.Reed Bunting, Green finch all on the feeders with Chaffinch & Dunnock below. Greylag flying in and out Oystercatcher and shelduck also. brief sight of a raptor flying into Ed;reserve but the highlight was the Barn Owl 1st spotted 17.15 towards the farm behind the sailing pool,probably would not of seen it if the willows had not been pollarded ,5 mins later it was spotted over the east side then it flew over the water towards the west hide successfully catching something in front of the concrete hide (hope someone was in there they would of got a great photo).10 mins later it was hunting over the east side towards the farm again.

Attachments

• IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    600.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7726 (2).JPG
    IMG_7726 (2).JPG
    674.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7731.JPG
    IMG_7731.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7732 (3).JPG
    IMG_7732 (3).JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7733 (2).JPG
    IMG_7733 (2).JPG
    304 KB · Views: 65
hi John ,just some thing that stuck me yesterday but couldn't judge from the hide. Could a hungry fox jump from the top of that new oak tree stump to the top of the fence? Will the fence need a bit more height in that area?

Not seen the stump yet Tim..will have a look on Tuesday and speak to Nick (fence contractor) if any doubts.
:t:

This Tuesday we will be moving to the FLASHES.
Primarily to assist Nick the Fox fencing Contractor.
This will involve us pruning the Blackthorn along the Meadow section of the Fencing.
We will also cut back blackthorn thicket that is encroaching on to the east shore of the 2nd Flash.

The reed bed in the meadow has been treated and should be dead now. So to create a more open vista to the benefit of breeding waders, we will brush cut the reeds and leave them in Situ..so NO RAKING8-P
Meet at the SAILING POOL car park 8.45 or at Flashes if you arrive later. Wellies will be required to access the work site.
John:t:
John,
What time will you be opening the gate?

From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

Oystercatcher still, Lapwing c100, Snipe 8, Curlew, Shelduck 2, Gadwall 2, Pochard c50, Teal 26, Shoveler 16, Kingfisher.

Inappropriate

Rolling Thunder on 9 February adds nothing to the quality of content and debate on the forum. I have always found the forum helpful and informative, so gratuitous and offensive posts such as this not only diminish the contributor but reduce the quality of the overall experience. Coincidentally my wife who is a regular supporter of the reserve decided to log in for the first time at the weekend rather than rely on me passing stuff on. Her reaction on seeing Rolling Thunders post was essentially 'if that's what is liable to appear - I won't be bothering with the forum" I have assured her that 99.9% of the posts are mature and worth reading.

Do we have any idea as to where Upton's Avocets spend the winter months? I was only wondering as I am often in Devon and there is a healthy wintering population on the Exe Estuary.

Chris

Today's work party at FLASHES

Thanks to all 20 of the crew today..basically lots of jobs completed readying the site for the forthcoming breeding season.
Jobs included:-
Cutting back overhanging blackthorn along the North section of the meadow.
Brush cut the treated reeds on the west side of the meadow using 3 brush cutters.
Collected up and burned the brash and debris from the fencing work in and around the meadow.
Brush cut reeds in front of the old oak tree. This will give views of the boggy area from the hide.
Removed the tanalised wood cut offs and carried to the hide. These will be used to screen off sections either side of the hide.

Many thanks to Andy A. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Ian B. Jim B. John C. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Paul M. Ray C. Roger S. Steve T. Sue T. Terry W. Tony B. and me
Thanks to Sue for the cake...Tony B is baking next week.
We will back at the Moors next week 19th February. ..The following week 26th February back at the FLASHES to complete everything for the breeding season.
Great day today B :):eat: john

Check my Twitter for photos of today's work:t:

Last edited:
Birding Today Reserve

First light at SAILING POOL where it was foggy and cold freezing point.
Managed to see 1 little egret leave the roost but little else.

The Flashes was lively with an increase in Avocets from the previous day. It was good to see them finding plenty of food in the 2nd flash which was dry 5months ago. When we have a 'drawdown' (water deliberately dropped very low the whole food chain then starts from scratch and lower forms of inverts proliferate as there are few predator invertebrates- to the benefit of feeding waders)
invertebrate numbers can rapidly recover within a year ..but this looks even better than I would have expected in such a short time...fingers crossed for the spring.
Walking to the work site and during the work 12 snipe and 3 Jack flew out.
FLASHES:-
Teal 65. Shoveler 10. Mallard 30. Coot 16. Greylag 2.
Snipe 12. Jack Snipe 3. Lapwing 365. Curlew 10. AVOCET 4. Oystercatcher 2.
Buzzard . Peregrine.
Green Woodp. Stock Dove 5.
Redwing. Song thrush 3 singing. Cetti's w.
Pied wag 2. Grey wag. Meadow pipit 4.
Jay. Rook 2.
Bullfinch 2. Greenfinch singing. Linnet.
Reed Bunting 3, singing

SAILING POOL:-
Little Egret
GCG 4. Pochard 2(am). Tufted 12. Coot 22. Oystercatcher 2 on jetty

MOORS:-
GCG 2. Little grebe 2. Little egret 3.
Shoveler 19. Teal 35. Gadwall 4. Shelduck 3.
Pochard only 4. Tufted 22. Coot 24. Mute swan 7.
Lapwing 300+. Oystercatcher 2 (4 on reserve).
BARN OWL came in high from the SE IN front of East hide. Then flew to NW reed bed and hunted in that area at 5.05pm
No starling roost. A few winter thrushes roosted in reeds

Spent a few hours birding at the moors after today's work party

Greylag (22)
Mute Swan (9)
Shelduck (3)
Shoveler (16)
Gadwall (4)
Teal (c30)
Tufted (10)
GC Grebe (2)
Little Egret (2)
Cormorant (10)
Avocet (4)
Lapwing (300+)
Kingfisher (1 on Salwarp)
Grey Wagtail (1 on Salwarpe)
Cetti's Warbler (1)

...hung around for Barn Owl but no show
...entertainment provided by Charles and Paul testing out the electric outboard motor on boat

First light at SAILING POOL where it was foggy and cold freezing point.
Managed to see 1 little egret leave the roost but little else.

The Flashes was lively with an increase in Avocets from the previous day. It was good to see them finding plenty of food in the 2nd flash which was dry 5months ago. When we have a 'drawdown' (water deliberately dropped very low the whole food chain then starts from scratch and lower forms of inverts proliferate as there are few predator invertebrates- to the benefit of feeding waders)
invertebrate numbers can rapidly recover within a year ..but this looks even better than I would have expected in such a short time...fingers crossed for the spring.
Walking to the work site and during the work 12 snipe and 3 Jack flew out.
FLASHES:-
Teal 65. Shoveler 10. Mallard 30. Coot 16. Greylag 2.
Snipe 12. Jack Snipe 3. Lapwing 365. Curlew 10. AVOCET 4. Oystercatcher 2.
Buzzard . Peregrine.
Green Woodp. Stock Dove 5.
Redwing. Song thrush 3 singing. Cetti's w.
Pied wag 2. Grey wag. Meadow pipit 4.
Jay. Rook 2.
Bullfinch 2. Greenfinch singing. Linnet.
Reed Bunting 3, singing

SAILING POOL:-
Little Egret
GCG 4. Pochard 2(am). Tufted 12. Coot 22. Oystercatcher 2 on jetty

MOORS:-
GCG 2. Little grebe 2. Little egret 3.
Shoveler 19. Teal 35. Gadwall 4. Shelduck 3.
Pochard only 4. Tufted 22. Coot 24. Mute swan 7.
Lapwing 300+. Oystercatcher 2 (4 on reserve).
BARN OWL came in high from the SE IN front of East hide. Then flew to NW reed bed and hunted in that area at 5.05pm
No starling roost. A few winter thrushes roosted in reeds

...hmmm...how did I miss that!!

Reply from a pensioner

Rolling Thunder on 9 February adds nothing to the quality of content and debate on the forum. I have always found the forum helpful and informative, so gratuitous and offensive posts such as this not only diminish the contributor but reduce the quality of the overall experience. Coincidentally my wife who is a regular supporter of the reserve decided to log in for the first time at the weekend rather than rely on me passing stuff on. Her reaction on seeing Rolling Thunders post was essentially 'if that's what is liable to appear - I won't be bothering with the forum" I have assured her that 99.9% of the posts are mature and worth reading.

"My" reserve is Sandwell Valley so I visit Upton Warren irregularly but I read the Upton Warren forum every day. It's worthwhile; I learn such a lot from the comments, analyses and various reports from people who are more knowledgeable than me, some of whom work very hard with the 101 practical tasks that always need doing on the reserve. (And these folk have a sense of humour - gives it the human touch!) Please reassure your wife.

Pam - a pensioner

Do we have any idea as to where Upton's Avocets spend the winter months? I was only wondering as I am often in Devon and there is a healthy wintering population on the Exe Estuary.

Chris

Would be great to know - over the years we have only had one traceable colour ringed Avocet ("white 64"); I need to get in touch with the ringing coordinator to see if had been noted in recent years.

For JTB
Interesting to see your numbers count and equate it to earlier in the day. Pochard 4 for you.

Earlier in the afternoon at least 6 in the south west corner of the Moors and probably the same un the northern end swimming around. Forgot to number them in the hide book., more interested in their behaviour Will check the photos. The males heavily out numbered the females. Post pics later.

In the afternoon only one little egret which ended up in the usual north east corner. The other two turned up in the East Hide area just before you must have arrived.

And finally there were 9 swans around and of the four that came onto an island none were ringed and seemed to be happy with their own company. Later the resident male started giving grief to anything that strayed too close

Phil E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back