• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (77 Viewers)

Cormorants

Belated but genuine thanks to Phil Andrews for putting on the info about the cormorants. I find them and the information fascinating.

Attached is a pic of old and not so old guys from yesterday. Using an old 2003 post by Jane Turner on the general forum re carbo or sinensis, I know what I think these are . I will leave it to the experts though.

And NO the BHG is NOT sitting on the head of no.3. Could photoshop it out I l suppose;)

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN0727 (3).JPG
    DSCN0727 (3).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Belated but genuine thanks to Phil Andrews for putting on the info about the cormorants. I find them and the information fascinating.

Attached is a pic of old and not so old guys from yesterday. Using an old 2003 post by Jane Turner on the general forum re carbo or sinensis, I know what I think these are . I will leave it to the experts though.

And NO the BHG is NOT sitting on the head of no.3. Could photoshop it out I l suppose;)

Phil E

There's more to come on Cormorants - just need to find time to repost.

Today's highlights:

MOORS/N MOORS*
Pochard (62)-----------------Shoveler (20)
Teal (16)----------------------Tufted Duck (15)
Gadwall (8)-------------------Shelduck (4) (1)*
Snipe (6)---------------------Curlew (10)
Lapwing (c250)--------------Oystercatcher (4). Numbers varied between the Moors and Flashes.
Little Egret (1)---------------G C Grebe (3)
Little Grebe (2)---------------Cormoranr (22)
Sparrowhawk-----------------Herring Gull (4)
Greylag Goose (16)----------Kingfisher
Water Rail---------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Mute Swan (9)----------------Coal Tit (1)
Barn Owl. Quartered the west side of the Moors at 18.02.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
G C Grebe (2)*----------------Little Egret (5)* roosted this evening.
Tufted Duck (14)*-------------Oystercatcher (1). One of four across the reserve.
Teal (22)

Des.

Andy P further reported today 8 Little Egret leaving the Sailing Pool roost first thing and 2 Skylark (new for the year) over the Flashes

strange feeling this evening going to Upton forgot my phone:eek!: so hoping not to see anything rare, lots going on I think spring was in the air.
North moors. (m&f )Shoveler , Mute swan, Shelduck,
Moors, 2 Mute swan,Little grebe,2 GCG, 3 Snipe, 2 OYK, 242 Lapwing, Curlew, 60+ Pochard, (m) Gadwall ,Tufted,Shoveler circling, Teal chasing females they must of known what day it is :gh:, 5 Greylag,
Water rail calling from 2 areas, 9 starlings, Heron, 4 Little Egrets flying in to roost. flock of 20 small birds finch?
East Track 2 medium size Bats, causeway 1 smaller Bat and a very brief view of the Barn Owl at 18.15 spotted by a couple waiting for it.

Attachments

• IMG_7738.JPG
    IMG_7738.JPG
    787.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7740.JPG
    IMG_7740.JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7742.JPG
    IMG_7742.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7748.JPG
    IMG_7748.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7750.JPG
    IMG_7750.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 33
Some pictures taken today

First for me, Blackcap on the feeders at the new hide. Some other pictures including a distant shot showing one of the two Stonechats by the water works at The Flashes.

Attachments

• Blackcap-2976.jpg
    Blackcap-2976.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Little Grebe-2963.jpg
    Little Grebe-2963.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Long Tailed tit-3000.jpg
    Long Tailed tit-3000.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 35
  • Stonechat-3055.jpg
    Stonechat-3055.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 53
A fuller update for yesterday from Matt S, Tony B, Roy P and Richard B

FLASHES
2 Stonechats (at least one male) in the sewage works, 2 Avocet, 3 Oystercatcher, Goldcrest, 9 Curlew, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, 14 Linnets, 400 BH Gulls

MOORS POOL
Male Blackcap on feeders by North Moors Hide, 2 Avocet (duplication with above?), 3 Oystercatcher (also duplication with the above?), 2 Little Egret, 2 Shelduck

Just gone passed the half-way point of the month and yesterday's Stonechat and Blackcap take the year list to 88 and February's total to 76. Possible additions in the remaining 13 days include (year ticks in bold):

Whooper Swan, Pintail, Wigeon, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Merlin, Woodcock, Redshank, Dunlin, Golden Plover, Green Sandpiper, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Med Gull, GBB Gull, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, LS Woodpecker, House Sparrow, Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Brambling, Yellowhammer

Last edited:
Seeing Phil A's wish list are there any thoughts on this bird please?

Seen on Tuesday before the gulls went flyabout -2men in a boat!

From the back I thought it might be a med gull not fully mature even with the almost black wing tips..
Looking at it side ways it looks like a BHG with extra hood and a clear demarcation as to the BHG limit. Cf the BHG next to it Notable for me also - even allowing for the feathers on the leg - is that the legs look shorter as well.

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN0345.jpg
    DSCN0345.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0347 (2).jpg
    DSCN0347 (2).jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 58
Surprising what you find when you look

From Tuesday as well

Attachments

• DSCN0457.jpg
    DSCN0457.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0494.jpg
    DSCN0494.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0546.jpg
    DSCN0546.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 72
And finally

The four visiting avocets. The greylag adds a splash of colour.

Bullfinch noted on N Moors feeders with severely diseased legs.

Attachments

• DSCN0648.jpg
    DSCN0648.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 56
From the Moors Pool Tim O reports:

5 Gadwall, 62 Pochard, 11 Tufted Duck, 3 Shelduck, 1 Little Egret, 2 Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe.

Seeing Phil A's wish list are there any thoughts on this bird please?

Seen on Tuesday before the gulls went flyabout -2men in a boat!

From the back I thought it might be a med gull not fully mature even with the almost black wing tips..
Looking at it side ways it looks like a BHG with extra hood and a clear demarcation as to the BHG limit. Cf the BHG next to it Notable for me also - even allowing for the feathers on the leg - is that the legs look shorter as well.

Phil E
Some BHG do have a more extensive hood.. so from the back always check the primary tips white in ad MED 2nd summer's will show alternate white and black primary tips.

Work party 19th February-Moors

This coming Tuesday we will be preparing Amy's Marsh for the coming breeding season
Brush Cutting the Broadmeadow arms.
Trans-planting juncus on to snipe island from the seasonal pool.
Constructing a fish 'hideout' out of willow branches.
Plus other small tasks .depending on the number of people we get.
Tony B is making a cake as well.
See you at Car Park 8.45
JohnB :)

good to see so many people using the reserve today and enjoying it so much too. great to see Cooky now we may see a balance of photos between mine not the best and his THE BEST. still here's my go

Attachments

• IMG_7752.JPG
    IMG_7752.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7754.JPG
    IMG_7754.JPG
    596.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    621.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7757.JPG
    IMG_7757.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 53
few more.
some birds just don't want there photo taken.see the Water rail in pic 3.

Attachments

• IMG_7756.JPG
    IMG_7756.JPG
    805 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7758 (2).JPG
    IMG_7758 (2).JPG
    440 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    789.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG