• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big wreck of Broad-Billed Prions (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

The Daily Herald here in New Zealand for thursday 14th, states that a large number of seabirds, mainly Broad-Billed Prions have been washed a shore by one of the many storms to hit the North Island in the last few days. It also says that 2/3 hundred were weak but alive and can be saved.
Its been a bad winter here for storms and walking the beaches near to home here in Northland I have found a few Common Diving Petrals but little else. I know that the osnz run a beach watch scheme, so that the numbers and type of dead seabirds can be reported, I would guess that it will be a very busy time for them.

What an awful shame Flossiepip. It really must be a distressing sight to see.

The BB Prion must be a fairly rare bird, too, as there's not yet a picture of one in the Gallery.

D

Not rare, just hard work to see, hard to positively identify in the field and hard to photograph!
Michael Brooke (Albatrosses and Petrels across the World) estimated there were 15 million of them! They are classified by the IUCN as 'least concern'.

'Hard to positivley identify' :eek!: It's nice to see that understatement is alive and well :t:. Out of probably hundreds of thousands ( it seemed that way ) of Prions I saw in my year in the Antarctic, plus others since then I'd say I've positively ID'd 20 - 25%. Superb birds - for turning you to drink B :) ;). I was surprised how many derelicts turn up on NZ beaches each year - no wonder they run a 'Beached Birds Survey'.

Chris

a lot more info on the BirdingNZ forum http://www.birdingnz.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1282
I've just lifted this excerpt to give an idea of the scale:
Blimey. We did three very short beach patrols today. Thom Conroy and I did the mouth of the Manawatu Estuary to the Foxton Surf Club (2 km, taking about 3 hours, as we collected and removed all birds to the dunes). Ian Saville helped with the end of that patrol, then did a quicker 1 km north of the surf club, doing ID and a count but leaving the birds there. To the south, Kyle Morrison and Sarah Jamieson went to Waiterere Beach (8 km south of the Manawatu Estuary) and headed north, only managing 1.5 km but, as you will see below, this poor performance was not through them being slackers. They also removed their birds. So in total we covered a paltry 4.5 km of beach, yet found 1790 dead seabirds (398 birds/km). They were strewn across the tide wrack, under the tide wrack, above the tide wrack, up on the dunes, under logs, buried under 30 cm of sand with just a wingtip showing... The big waves had obviously moved a lot of sand around and it is anybody's guess how many birds were buried without trace. The Waiterere stretch had more birds than the Foxton one - 796 from 1.5 km.

Totals:
Foxton Est-Surf club
Distance (km) - 2
Broad-billed Prion - 647
Antarctic Prion - 5
Salvin's Prion - 21
Fairy Prion - 46
Slender-billed Prion - 1
prion wings - 4
Diving petrel - 8
Unid petrel/shearwater wings - 1
TOTAL - 733
Birds/km - 367

Foxton Surf club N
Distance (km) - 1
Broad-billed Prion - 253
Salvin's Prion - 2
Fairy Prion - 3
Diving petrel - 2
TOTAL - 260
Birds/km - 260

Waiterere Beach
Distance (km) - 1.5
Broad-billed Prion - 730
Salvin's Prion - 15
Fairy Prion - 36
Diving petrel - 4
TOTAL - 796
Birds/km - 531

TOTAL
Distance (km) - 4.5
Broad-billed Prion - 1631
Antarctic Prion - 13
Salvin's Prion - 38
Fairy Prion - 85
Slender-billed Prion - 4
prion wings - 4
Diving petrel - 14
Unid petrel/shearwater wings - 1
TOTAL - 1790
Birds/km - 398

This is, from memory, considerably more Broad-billed Prions than were recorded in the OSNZ Beach Patrol scheme for the wrecks of 1961 and 1974 (or thereabouts), but from just 4.5 km of coast. If these numbers are indicative of numbers along the entire Kapiti-Wanganui coast (~100 km) then we could be talking about 30-40,000 birds visible on the surface just along this section. If the best part of 2000 birds were handed in to bird carers, then these numbers of dead birds seem reasonable, as far more birds must die than are found alive and handed in. Hopefully other patrols are being done in this spell of nice weather and some distances and bird numbers can be reported. It's interesting that no Fairy Prions actually seem to have been handed in to the Massey Vets this week. Maybe they never made it to the beaches alive.

Astounding stuff.

Took a 1/2 mile walk along Baylys beach, Dargaville, Northland this sunday morning and counted a hundred + dead prions. As far as I could tell mostly BBs but some that I would guess were Fairy prions and a few Diving petrels. This is quite a way up from the lower end of the South Island were this wreck was first reported. Also in the dunes was a Giant petrel, the only live bird of the wreck that we saw. Reported this to the local DOC, so hope that it will be safe now!

a lot more info on the BirdingNZ forum http://www.birdingnz.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1282
I've just lifted this excerpt to give an idea of the scale:

Scary. Anyone know what the estimated population of Broad-billed Prion is?

And for the love of science please, PLEASE collect as many specimens as you can... So many studies can be done on these birds... And such chances very very rarely present themselves.

I checked out this site on the net, blog.tepapa.govt.nz/.../riders-of-the-storm very good info on the wreck and checking the photo of prion bills against photos that I took, I now see there were a few Antartic prions that washed a shore up here. Did not see it at the time.

I know that the big wreck of prions has come and gone a few weeks now, though you do still find the odd fresh bird washed up.
We did get our first chance to go over to the west coast 30.7.11 and a 1km walk up from Waipu cove showed some 30 dead prions of which only one was a BB, the rest all seemed to be Narrow-Billed. There was also 2 Common Diving Petrels, 7 Fluttering Shearwaters and a little Blue Penguin.
In all the many hundreds of birds from this great wreck that I've looked at, I have not seen one bird that carried a leg ring. It would be interesting to know how many such birds were found?
The last estimate for lost birds that I heard was for around 350/60,000 birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back