• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8.5X42 Non HD (1 Viewer)

In this particular case, we never got to the point where I was returning to Swarovski. The seller and I came to an agreement and he has the binoculars back and I have reimbursed his shipping cost.

I wasn't interested in waiting a couple of months to be able to use these, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy from the call with Swarovski - I didn't come away from the call feeling that they were terribly interested in understanding the problem, and the air of not quite getting it didn't help.

I'm sure they could have been repaired but might have needed to be repaired again later, and I wasn't going to ask for a set of loaners as the nth owner and without knowing the history.

I probably won't buy optics on a general auction site again. I bought my partner's Nikons on cloudynights, and I'd trust optics I bought there or here not to be oversold, but I bought a telescope on ebay that needed what amounted to a repair on delivery. It wasn't big - disassemble the lens cell, mark the lenses to get them facing the right way on reassembly and carefully clean. I did it myself and am OK with it.

With a telescope, you can do that, with binoculars, I at least can't.

I'll keep an eye out on the local craigslist to see if anyone is trying to unload binoculars I can actually look through ahead of tax time as well as here and at CN.

Sorry this has taken me so long, but I put the 2010 and 2015 8.5X SVs side by side today. If there is any meaningful difference between them in CA control, RB (I don't see it in any SV), resolution, tint, saturation, etc, I can't perceive it. On a positive note, the focus knob on the 2010 model continues to become smoother with use to a point that it very acceptable and perfectly useable.

It would also be interesting to know if you see any differences in CA, the color balance or the colors of the coatings.

Thanks.

SD .... Thanks for taking the time to follow up and compare the different years of the 8.5X SV EL.

As I mentioned earlier, I figured you would probably not be able to judge if there is a difference in rolling ball since you do not see it in the early production model. After seeing your note, I went to an outdoor store that had the latest and greatest new model ProField of the 8.5X and took a look at it. Just as it was with an early production model of the 8.5X SV EL, the rolling ball was profound for me. I did not have both for a side by side comparision, but based on my previous experiences with the 8.5X, I am inclined to believe there has been none or very little in the way of changes to reduce rolling ball experience for people like me.

Based on your comments on the view and my experience with RB, I doubt there have been any material optical changes to the 8.5X that impact the view since it came out around 2010. Looks like you scored well on your eBay purchase. It also appears that it had very little use since the focus has smoothed out in the short time you have owned it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back