• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A rank beginner in New York, New York (1 Viewer)

Andrew said:
Pinewood,

I reguarly go birding on the buses and it is a good feeling to have done a great day's birding or seen a rarity/lifer without even using the car. It is wonderful to be able to board a bus and curl up on the top at the front with a book until the bus comes to where you want. So, yes, take the bus and you won't regret it plus your list will grow too. :t:

My dear Andrew,

Life is different on this side of the Atlantic. Our buses are not double decked. In my case, it would be a very tedious trip on the "tube," almost totally below ground, with another, infrequent bus, or a nice walk to the entrance of the preserve.

However, a friend in Douglaston, Queens, at the edge of the city, would like to go there. I can take a commuter railroad to her home, and then we would have a fifteen minute drive to the preserve. Of course, May or October would be better times.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood

Bill2468 said:
Hello from Brooklyn, NY :clap:

As a NY'er you should look into the nyc chapter of the Audubon Society. .
Living in NYC and not knowing where to go birding is like " can't see the foresat with all these trees in my way"

Good luck and enjoy the city

BiLL
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
My dear Bill,

A good idea about the local Audubon Society, but I still insist that I can be laid back, avoiding excursions and group activities.
In fact, I have encountered groups in Central Park and I was not impressed by their behaviour. At one such encounter, no one said hello to me and they seemed to be looking down at my fifty year old binoculars. Another time, someone did say hello, but I was using a current Zeiss glass, which interested him.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
My dear Andrew,

Life is different on this side of the Atlantic. Our buses are not double decked. In my case, it would be a very tedious trip on the "tube," almost totally below ground, with another, infrequent bus, or a nice walk to the entrance of the preserve.

However, a friend in Douglaston, Queens, at the edge of the city, would like to go there. I can take a commuter railroad to her home, and then we would have a fifteen minute drive to the preserve. Of course, May or October would be better times.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood
Glad you have sorted a way out to the birding hotspots with a mate.

I have been on a few birding trips involving the tube in London and while it was handy, no one spoke to each other at all. I was on the tube once with a friend (Kingfisher) and we were chatting away like mad and noticed no one else was either.

You saw a Long-eared Owl in Central Park? Wow!
I lived in NYC when I was a kid, in the Bronx, and I sure would have been shocked to see one of them. I saw a Scarlet Tanager there about 34 years ago, and that's what turned me into a birder. I also saw a Ring-necked Pheasant in the Bronx after I became a birder, or what they called it back then, a bird-watcher.
marcus

I just saw my first Cedar Waxwings today! I have three pictures in my gallery!

Herons and egrets, too

marcus said:
You saw a Long-eared Owl in Central Park? Wow!
I lived in NYC when I was a kid, in the Bronx, and I sure would have been shocked to see one of them. I saw a Scarlet Tanager there about 34 years ago, and that's what turned me into a birder. I also saw a Ring-necked Pheasant in the Bronx after I became a birder, or what they called it back then, a bird-watcher.
marcus
My dear Marcus,

We urban bird watchers do have our moments, to the surpise of others. For weeks, Central Park Lake has been visited by great egrets and black crested night herons. Yesterday morning, I saw a cormorant dive in the Lake. He surfaced with a fish in his beak.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Good morning Arthur, (or whatever time of day you read my reply)

Pinewood said:
My dear Marcus,

We urban bird watchers do have our moments, to the surpise of others. For weeks, Central Park Lake has been visited by great egrets and black crested night herons. Yesterday morning, I saw a cormorant dive in the Lake. He surfaced with a fish in his beak.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
You know Arthur,
I lived in New York for 36 years, mostly in Long Island, and I never once saw a cormorant in any of those years. I went to a lot of L.I. water but never saw a cormorant. But I've seen plenty down here. Two years ago I went to NYC and saw one swimming between the boats at a Manhattan pier.
This i probably a silly question, but have you seen an Osprey yet? I saw my first one up there just before I moved to Maryland.
marcus

It always pays to look at the water and at the shore

marcus said:
You know Arthur,
I lived in New York for 36 years, mostly in Long Island, and I never once saw a cormorant in any of those years. I went to a lot of L.I. water but never saw a cormorant. But I've seen plenty down here. Two years ago I went to NYC and saw one swimming between the boats at a Manhattan pier.
This is probably a silly question, but have you seen an Osprey yet? I saw my first one up there just before I moved to Maryland.
marcus
My dear Marcus,

I do not recall if I have seen an Osprey. Twenty years, ago, I joined a friend on two excursions to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife refuge. I saw some birds, but was hardly interested. At that time, I did not own binoculars, and I have no memory of what I did see. I do recall that it was summer. Now I am more aware of such things.
I have been told that kestrels frequent Manhattan.

I have also been told that cormorants prefer the East River over the Hudson, and are often sighted on the former.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

At last, at Jamaica Bay

marcus said:
Was it an Osprey? I saw my first one up there. It wasn't in New York City actually, but in Long Island.
marcus
Marcus,

Today, I saw a pair of Ospreys on the shore of Jamaica Bay, west of JFK Airport, which is within the borders of New York City, is also geographically part of Long Island and is definitely not in Manhattan. Some people think New York City is only Manhattan, but it does include rather more than that Island.

The trip, by train and by automobile, actually took longer than the "tube," but I had my friend's company when we were delayed by traffic. I also suffered from mosquitoes, maybe ticks and an excess of sun. I had a twelve power binocular, on a monopod, which served me well. My friend used a little 10x25 glass.

In addtiton to the ospreys, I spotted a great egret, cormorants, a black crested night heron, mallards, a song sparrow, mute swans and Canada geese. The Canada geese were rather wary as they would not cross the path, while I was near. New to me were a tree swallow and its young, a northern mockingbird, a glossy ibis and gulls, terns and sandpipers which I have yet to clearly identify.

So it was a good day.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
If you busing to birds you should look into 2 interesting places in Brooklyn, NY
1/ Marine Park Salt Marsh Nature Center when the tide is out/low the mud flats attract various interesting things.
2/ Greenwood Cemetary, very big landscaped cemetary, nonsecterian with many celeberty residents and good place for birding (you know why cemetaries have fences around them? People are dieing to get in)

Another good place is Ptrospect Park, visit the Audubon Nature Center there. Former venitian boat house turned into nature center. They have led walks and a electric boat (looks like the African Queen) that has a short nature cruise.

BiLL
i
g

A
p
p
l
e

Bill2468 said:
If you busing to birds you should look into 2 interesting places in Brooklyn, NY
1/ Marine Park Salt Marsh Nature Center when the tide is out/low the mud flats attract various interesting things.
2/ Greenwood Cemetery, very big landscaped cemetery, nonsecterian with many celebrity residents and good place for birding (you know why cemeteries have fences around them? People are dieing to get in)

Another good place is Prospect Park, visit the Audubon Nature Center there. Former Venitian boat house turned into nature center. They have led walks and a electric boat (looks like the African Queen) that has a short nature cruise.

BiLL
Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood

Heh, the other day i wrote an article about Gerritsen Creek.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo6dtv/id5.html

What would you think of an idea of new yorkers here to get togther one day and go birdwatching at Jamaica Bay?
I've always gone birdwatching by my self and wonder what it would be like to go with other people...don't know.

Bill, Pinewood, who else, what do you think?

Last edited:
pdog_109 said:
Heh, the other day i wrote an article about Gerritsen Creek.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo6dtv/id5.html

What would you think of an idea of new yorkers here to get togther one day and go birdwatching at Jamaica Bay?
I've always gone birdwatching by my self and wonder what it would be like to go with other people...don't know.

Bill, Pinewood, who else, what do you think?
Dear Pdog_109,

I am afraid that I am a loner, but thanks for informing me of your site.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood

pdog_109 said:
Well ok, i hope my guide to Gerritsen Creek will help you if you decide to go there one day.
Dear pdog_109,

I am sure that it will be of value to any visitor to Gerritsen Creek. I believe that the forum provides some sort of venue for information on birding locales.
Perhaps, you can post it there as well.

Again, thank you for the invitation and for the information.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Pinewood said:
My dear Bill,

A good idea about the local Audubon Society, but I still insist that I can be laid back, avoiding excursions and group activities.
In fact, I have encountered groups in Central Park and I was not impressed by their behaviour. At one such encouner, no one said hello to me and they seemed to be looking down at my fifty year old binoculars. Another time, someone did say hello, but I was using a current Zeiss glass, which interested him.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood
I have been birding in Central Park for more than two years many times going with groups and I do not find it unusual nor do I think it unfriendly that no one from a group has said hello to you or approached you in any way. Many birders are private people, especially in Central Park, and I respect this. I would rarely go over to another birder in the Park whom I did not know just to be friendly, unless I was alone or with one other person and then definitely if our paths crossed I probably would say hello or good morning or whatever. On the other hand, if anyone asks me for directions, information about birds I have seen, my binoculars, etc. I will not hesitate to strike up a conversation. And sometimes I will ask strangers about the same. At the feeders in the Ramble you will find many friendly birders. But I do think in general birders respect the privacy of others. And I would say this is especially true when one is with a group of five or ten or twenty that has met specifically for birding. Finally, one way to strike up a friendly conversation is to comment on one's binoculars.

I hope no one here thinks this is unusual or impolite behavior. I would guess it is true in most places. The birding group is like a class in some ways. We have a leader and there are subgroups of individuals within the group. Some converse with others in the group. Some are private individuals within the group. If you want to learn more about the Central Park birding groups, nothing prevents you from latching on to one or more. You can get information about one birding walk group in birdingbob.com. Cost of a walk is $5. The Linnaean Society sponsors free walks as does the NYC Audubon Society. Birders such as Star Saphir and Sarah Elliott also lead walks for a nominal fee. You may find that most of those on these walks are friendly. And few if any have 50 year old binoculars.

Last edited:
My dear Alan,

You were good to write and rather kind to inform me of the many opportunities available for group birding in Central Park. Should I be inclined to join a group, it is good to know about the Linnaean Society, and the others.

Perhaps I am rather used to country walking, where one always says hello to passersby. I thought that the courtesy would apply to people of like interest even in Central Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Hi Pinewood!
I'm up in the Catskills. I too wondered how a Turkey got to the 25th floor. I own a wild bird feeding/watching shop. I tell people all the time to go to CP to see birds. I've seen shows on the discovery channel about the red tails and peregrines in the park. My customers from NYC think I'm nuts to send them to CP to see birds! LOL!

thewrensnest said:
Hi Pinewood!
I'm up in the Catskills. I too wondered how a Turkey got to the 25th floor. My customers from NYC think I'm nuts to send them to CP to see birds! LOL!
Dear thewrensnest,

Central Park, with its varied habitat, and reduced automobile traffic, is a marvelous place for bird watching. It also has several species of frogs, and of turtles. Raccoons have been spotted there, as well.

I consider myself fortunate to be within walking distance of Central Park, of Riverside Park and of the Hudson.

Sometimes, New York provides a surprise. In the summer, I was on a train that passed near the marshes of Great Neck Bay, in the Douglaston neighborhood. Out the window were several great egrets wading in the shallows.

I am sure the Catskills offer many fine bird watching opportunities. I was last there, at Hunter Mountain, twenty five years, ago.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Jamiaca Bay in the autumn

I managed to visit the Jamaica Bay Wildlife refuge, today. The brants were there in huge numbers. As I was with a knowledgeable friend, with a 'scope, I spotted for the first time the brants and gadwalls, (greater) yellow legs, pintails, piebilled grebes, wigeons, pine siskins, buffleheads, coots, scaups, green winged teal, ruddy ducks, snow geese and a great blue heron. Also seen were Canada geese, great egrets , greater black backed gulls, immature cormorants and American black ducks. I did not see a cinammon teal, reported by another bird watcher. It was a rather fruitful and enjoyable day.

My friend, who resides on the west coast added two to his list: the greater black backed gull and the American black duck. He was delighted.

Getting off Manhattan Island does have its benefits.

Happ bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back