• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Birds at my backyard in North Central Texas??? (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

Due to having three or four inches of ice/snow covering the ground all over this part of the country this week, I currently have around 200 birds coming to my backyard feeders each day including several varieties I don't normally see. Today, I observed two birds that I don't think I've seen before. The first looks somewhat like an Orange-crowned Warbler, but lacks any yellow underneath that I would expect to see. The second bird is small, but it's coloring doesn't look like any of the Sparrows or Finches that I normally see.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 118
My first impression of image 2 was HF!...but on closer inspection the upper mandible appears downcurved and somewhat isolated from the lower!

Unsure of what appears to be going on in that area?..but one might be forgiven..If Crossbill was a contender?

cheers

Thanks for the comments. I have at least five other Pine Warblers that have been coming to feeders this week, but they have much brighter yellow color than this one (see photos). I considered it might be a female and the others males. On the other bird, I knew it's steaking and bill looked right for a House Finch, but it just seemed to be much smaller with a browner hue to its color than the others I see here every day this time of year.

Attachments

• Pine Warbler (6).jpg
    Pine Warbler (6).jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 48
The more I look at this....I'm thinking Crossbill?

Based on my guide, a Crossbill would be at least a 1,000 miles south of its Winter range. I think Jim is probably right on it being a female House Finch. It just looked smaller and browner than the others I see every day.

Second bird is definitely a House Finch, though a bit dark. I think you are looking into the lower mandible (rather than profile) or it's partially obscured by a something in its mouth. Curved culmen is fine for House Finch. EBird has no reports of Crossbill for the entire state this year or last except a couple in the western panhandle.

Thanks for the comments. I have at least five other Pine Warblers that have been coming to feeders this week, but they have much brighter yellow color than this one (see photos). I considered it might be a female and the others males. On the other bird, I knew it's steaking and bill looked right for a House Finch, but it just seemed to be much smaller with a browner hue to its color than the others I see here every day this time of year.

Pine Warblers are quite variable in the amount of yellow. Depends on age/sex, and there is also some individual variation.

Best,
Jim

The Pine looks to be a 1st basic female, thought by some to be the drabest bird in north america......certainly the word colourless applies...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back