• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

Now for pictures of flyovers, some migrant and some resident.

They are Black Vulture, Great Blue Heron, Double-crested Cormorant, Common Loon, and Osprey.

Attachments

• BLVU_3:9:20.jpg
    BLVU_3:9:20.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 34
  • GBHE2_4:12:20.jpg
    GBHE2_4:12:20.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DCCO2_4:13:20.jpg
    DCCO2_4:13:20.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 37
  • COLO1_4:5:20.jpg
    COLO1_4:5:20.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 28
  • OSPR_4:23:20.jpg
    OSPR_4:23:20.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 35
Final set of pictures. These are Herring Gull, Broad-winged Hawk, Common Raven, and another Broadwing.

I'm thrilled to have a resident pair of ravens now! Almost every day they're seen or heard, sometimes giving a great show.

Attachments

• HERG_4:21:20.jpg
    HERG_4:21:20.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 34
  • BWHA2_4:21:20.jpg
    BWHA2_4:21:20.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 31
  • CORA_4:25:20.jpg
    CORA_4:25:20.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 33
  • BWHA_4:25:20.jpg
    BWHA_4:25:20.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30
#56. Song Thrush
#57. White Wagtail

Picks from last weeks "garden watch":
1. Lonely Crane
2. -"- Loon (or Bt Diver)
3. House Sparrow male drove the Feral Pigeon out of the yard couple of times. Pretty tough dude.
4. After that the House Sparrow experienced the detachment of the soul... and the soul turned out to be a Tree Sparrow... 3:)

Attachments

• ddacP1350552.jpg
    ddacP1350552.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 23
  • ddacP1350577.jpg
    ddacP1350577.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 34
  • ddacP1350584.jpg
    ddacP1350584.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 38
  • ddacP1350597.jpg
    ddacP1350597.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 32
Two House Martin NW buzzed by the 4-6 Swift that have been present since yesterday no.75....now with the quartet complete!...Where’s that skinny Peregrine. ;)

The garden had another visitor today.
The daughter shouted, 'dad, what's this on the shed'?
It was a Sparrow Hawk, just sat there bold as brass, hopped from the shed to the feeders then onto the back gate. The sparrows didn't even seem to notice he was there.

I can only hope for the Brambling and Redpolls before year end...some great shots Papa! :t:

I'm no photograher Ken, just got an old bridge camera set up by my lad to 'point n shoot'. Managed a shot of a garden rare today (House Sparrra) and, due to the compliment, a shot of my daily visitors (2 mtrs from the kitchen window)
Anyway I'm always busy so am just a casual garden lister and if I manage a photo it's a bonus, do enjoy following this thread though.
Sparra.JPG

GP.JPG

I'm no photograher Ken, just got an old bridge camera set up by my lad to 'point n shoot'. Managed a shot of a garden rare today (House Sparrra) and, due to the compliment, a shot of my daily visitors (2 mtrs from the kitchen window)
Anyway I'm always busy so am just a casual garden lister and if I manage a photo it's a bonus, do enjoy following this thread though.
View attachment 725486

View attachment 725487

Like me Papa, House Sparrow is also a garden rare, normally just one brief visit per annum (if I’m lucky), this year has been the exception with a male and two females perhaps eight visits all in January (none since) and as for Grey Partridge well that’s as likely as Ptarmigan! ;)

Same here with GP. I might change my daily HS to (even annual) Partridge.

This morning some kind of rarity in garden:

#59. Linnet - First male visited briefly in garden and after that couple sit on neighbors birch. I remember that I have seen Linnet in garden several years ago, but for at least four years it has not been seen.

Same here with GP. I might change my daily HS to (even annual) Partridge.

This morning some kind of rarity in garden:

#59. Linnet - First male visited briefly in garden and after that couple sit on neighbors birch. I remember that I have seen Linnet in garden several years ago, but for at least four years it has not been seen.

Only ever had two Wari in 37 years! Both singleton flyovers and calling.

One new species this morning, a flock of six rather late

79. American Pipit (2nd yard record)

Boy, things are heating up here! Next two nights are predicted to be OK for migrants, and we're still waiting for many of our Neotropical friends. Bring them on!

One new species this morning, a flock of six rather late

79. American Pipit (2nd yard record)

Boy, things are heating up here! Next two nights are predicted to be OK for migrants, and we're still waiting for many of our Neotropical friends. Bring them on!

Wow, you're racing along BM, thanks for posting all the photos!

Only ever had two Wari in 37 years! Both singleton flyovers and calling.

Not wishing to gloat Ken but I have breeding Linnet,and Yellowhammer in a 'double hedge' adjacent the garden. This type of hedge was to prevent snow drifting (in the old days) but now it's where my surface water drains, it is some 12 feet thick in total so ideal for nesting birds. I installed a small preformed pond adjacent my lean-to (poor mans conservatory) which the surface water drains in to and many species of birds utilize this, thats why I was able to get the GP shot. Contrary to popular belief Linnets do visit bird feeders, as 'mine' do daily for sunflower hearts.
3934.JPG

What's that I hear? Ken wants all our latest Linnet photos to enjoy? Unusually (they breed lower down the valley but not around us up to now) a pair seems to have set up home here too, they are absent from the area in winter. Today with the rain hammering down on the dandelion heads (making it easier to access the seeds apparently?) the male seemed to have grown a dandelion seed moustache. A very pleasant song today as well Ken8-P

Attachments

• Linotte bf 28.4.20.jpg
    Linotte bf 28.4.20.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 32
What's that I hear? Ken wants all our latest Linnet photos to enjoy? Unusually (they breed lower down the valley but not around us up to now) a pair seems to have set up home here too, they are absent from the area in winter. Today with the rain hammering down on the dandelion heads (making it easier to access the seeds apparently?) the male seemed to have grown a dandelion seed moustache. A very pleasant song today as well Ken8-P

I also have a 'tached' one Richard ;)Linnet.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back