• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2024 edition) (1 Viewer)

thought these records from New Zealand Blumine Island, Motuara Island and Queen Charlotte Sound may add to the total
After a bit of tidying up of my earlier numbers, I think we now have a combined 131 for Australia and New Zealand, of which 107 Australian and 26 NZ, with 2 on both lists. Too early to see what this does for the global total, but I don't think it will surprise anyone that Eurasian Blackbird had already been reported from Europe.
From Jonny721's list I can add Grey Partridge and Bearded Tit to the UK list.
UK up to 168 (or 167 since I guess the plastic goose will have to go), Europe to 181/180.

We have a worldwide total, provisional as I'm sure there are duplicates where someone's used a non-IOC name that I've failed to spot. Also there's still time over the next day or two for anyone to add something they saw on the first.

Total: 696

Of which:
Europe 180 (UK 167, rest of Europe 78)
North America 270 (USA 178, Mexico 119, Barbados 20)
Australasia 131 (Australia 107, New Zealand 26)
Africa 107
East Asia 51
South-west Asia 5

Spreadsheet: BirdForum Joint 1 Jan list 2024

After a bit of tidying up of my earlier numbers, I think we now have a combined 131 for Australia and New Zealand, of which 107 Australian and 26 NZ, with 2 on both lists. Too early to see what this does for the global total, but I don't think it will surprise anyone that Eurasian Blackbird had already been reported from Europe.

UK up to 168 (or 167 since I guess the plastic goose will have to go), Europe to 181/180.
Which plastic goose is that? The first-winter Red-breasted Goose at Cley with Brents should be fine.

John

Yes, the Red-breasted is still in the UK total. I don't have strong views about the Cackling Goose and have no problem putting it back in the UK total if people disagree with the person who queried it. It won't affect the global total because we have it on the list from the US.

Last edited:
We already had Least Flycatcher from the US, but the 4 Aussies are all new.

Total: 700

Of which:
North America 270 (USA 178, Mexico 120, Barbados 20)
Australasia 135 (Australia 111, New Zealand 26)
Africa 107
East Asia 51
South-west Asia 5

Perhaps some surprising United Kingdom omissions?

Barnacle Goose
Bearded Tit
Bewick's Swan
Black Guillemot
Caspian Gull
Common Sandpiper
Corn Bunting
Crossbill
Dartford Warbler
Eider
Glaucous Gull
Golden Plover
Green Sandpiper
Green Woodpecker
Grey Partridge
Greylag Goose
Hawfinch
Iceland Gull
Jack Snipe
Kingfisher
Kittiwake
Little Owl
Mandarin Duck
Mediterranean Gull
Red-necked Grebe
Ring-necked Duck
Shore Lark
Snow Bunting
Tundra Bean Goose
Willow Tit
Woodcock
Yellow-legged Gull

A few that Julian Thomas will have seen in Somerset if he pops along past this thread.

All the best

Paul
Common Sandpiper is on list Paul

6 final additions for Australia, of which all but one were new for the world list. I think it's probably time to close the list at this point.

Total: 705

Of which:
Australasia 141 (Australia 117, New Zealand 26)
Africa 107
East Asia 51
South-west Asia 5

Here's the final version of the spreadsheet, published so it's read-only and will stay online if I ever delete the working version: BirdForum Joint 1 Jan list 2024 - Google Drive

Last edited:
6 final additions for Australia, of which all but one were new for the world list. I think it's probably time to close the list at this point.

Total: 705

Of which:
Australasia 141 (Australia 117, New Zealand 26)
Africa 107
East Asia 51
South-west Asia 5

Here's the final version of the spreadsheet, published so it's read-only and will stay online if I ever delete the working version: BirdForum Joint 1 Jan list 2024 - Google Drive
Thank you for all your work on this once again!

John

If we're ever going to top 1000 we need to get more results from Asia and Africa I think. ;)
I did my best one year with a hefty tally from northern Namibia... don't remember what the global total was that year though.

I think we could achieve the 1000 if Delia had an extra dram or two on New Year's Eve and then had an 'enlightened' day to follow 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back