• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2024 edition) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
You are invited to join in the eleventh annual Birdforum joint list for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested. Plus a global total which will hopefully beat 500 again.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan, local time.

Each year we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk or even just watching from your window. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy - contributions from different countries are especially helpful.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, don't change where you're intending to go. Unless you're intending to sit at home, in which case get out there and watch some birds.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can see how it works. Each year's thread has a link to the previous year in its first post.

Last year we had a global total of 517 (IOC taxonomy), following 558 the year before. To be clear, you do NOT need to know IOC species names in order to contribute - there will be plenty of people involved who can help me work out which IOC species your sighting refers to, if it isn't clear.

Last year's regional totals: USA 145, Europe 190 (UK 153, rest of Europe 134), East Asia 80, Australia 0, Africa 51, South America 60, Israel 40, Turkey (non-European) 72.

2022 figures: USA 150, Europe 205 (UK 153, rest of Europe 150), East Asia 103, Australia 66, Africa 82, South America 18
2021 figures: USA 174, Europe 191 (UK 143, rest of Europe 138), Africa 166, East Asia 74, Falklands 39, New Zealand 35
2020 figures: USA 116, Europe 196 (UK 170, rest of Europe 129), North America 130 (Canada 14, Barbados 8)
2019 figures: USA 227, Europe 205 (UK 176, Rest of Europe 126), Australia 85, East Asia 84
2018 figures: USA 120, Europe 194 (UK 163, Rest of Europe 115)
2017 figures: USA 172, Europe 197 (UK 156, Rest of Europe 127), East Asia 87, Canada 16 (North America 180)
2016 figures: USA 205, Europe 167 (UK 150, rest of Europe 94), Australia 43.
2015 figures: USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.
2014 figures: USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list in this thread either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online. We'll keep taking contributions for a few days until it dries up, but ONLY if the birds were seen or heard on the 1st.

Thanks MJ.

You are invited to join in the eleventh annual Birdforum joint list for 1st January.

I've also linked it to my last Gallery picture upload, which currently are going into the Asia / Australia Category. One or two have responded positively, one in Norway (not sure we've had any from there before have we?)

I presume you don't mind me doing this SA?

Like last year I've made a blank spreadsheet which once it gets caught up with what's posted here can help work out if things you've seen have already been reported.

Reminder please post your sightings on this thread rather than direct to the spreadsheet - it helps to have everything in one place. If you then want to add those of your sightings that were new to the spreadsheet, please do, but that may not be totally straightforward if the spreadsheet isn't up to date with what's in the thread, so don't feel you have to.

For any given sighting there are two tabs that matter, the "World" one which has the combined list and the one for wherever you are. We can add new tabs easily if we get contributions from somewhere else in the world.

Link: BirdForum Joint 1 Jan list 2024

Despite having fallen out of love with my local birding (for the reasons set out in the next paragraph below), I am planning to be on my patch all day tomorrow and will contribute here. Some good birds in the last week or so suggest some quality is there to be found before we totally lose our weather window late morning/early afternoon.

(We will not have access to two Wildlife Trust reserves where the charity has failed to secure current access for its members as a result of issues with local landowners. That charity has appointed as Chairperson someone who is the head of office for the commercial solicitors for our local airport. That was not disclosed to members on the appointment. I am fully aware of the obligations on an extant Partner in such a firm on decision-making. We will however have access to the local nature reserve where the politician that brought to the end its longer term funding by terminating a levy on local householders received an OBE in the New Year's Honours List. The deterioration of the habitat on my patch has been marked with extinctions on both the local reserves and surrounding countryside. There is a continuing removal of habitat including a hedgerow by our local council - a coalition involving the Green Party - which had a Schedule One breeding species. :oops:)

Happy New Year All. I have decided to be positive in 2024 including by getting some invertebrate recording going for that Wildlife Trust so a bit of a catharsis post.

Paul

Ok, so failed to follow basic instructions 😬
These sightings are entered directly into spreadsheet 😳

Australian Magpie
rainbow lorikeet
musk lorikeet
Magpie-Lark
Common Starling
House Sparrow
Pacific Black Duck
Australian White Ibis
Common Myna