• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (4 Viewers)

All these excellent skua pics:t: are just reminding me that i haven't seen enuff of them in recent years.....

ps....oh for a good autumn seawatch or two....[preferably with squadrons of skua species passing by]....

pps...i'd make do with a just few poms n a long tailed tho....;)

Obviously, you have made good use of your "break for freedom"! These sketches are terrific. On my computer screen at least, the last several posts have an intriguing lemon yellow and pale violet tint to them. It may just be the lighting you had when taking the photos, but it is a nice simple color touch.

All these sketches are informative and delicious and delightful.

I can see all these in a "coffee table" edition of "Tim Wootton's Orkney Sketchbooks!" What a sumptuous edition that would be!

wonderful to see what normally distant dots of skuas and divers look like when you get intimate with them.

Not even gonna go there.....:-O
But seriously, fantastic sketches Tim....really top-notch stuff. I've got Keith Brockie's sketchbook and I can't see any difference in quality between you both!

the studio piece of the skuas is flawless beauty, everything, the comp, light masses, touch of the brush, just flawless...and so expressive, what magic an artist brings to real life moments to get that into a piece that stays still in time so others can share it..

sketches over the top

Wow!
More superb work, Tim. The last two sketchbook posts have me thinking: What lies in heaven for people who love to peek through sketchbooks? Drawing of this quality, that's what! Wonderful - nothing, I mean nothing is overdone or out of proportion here.

If chairs and vases will help me draw like this then I'm off to Kenanka - my nearest interior deco store!

Russ

Had to take another look at the dark phase bird - just a couple of issues regarding the face of the bird - I think I've sorted it now, but time may change that opinion.
I've also been working up the field sketch of the intermediate phase bird and this is a result that I'm not unhappy with.
"Keeping An Eye Out; Intermediate Arctic Skua", watercolour - 22"x15"

Attachments

• DSCN4095.JPG
    DSCN4095.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN4093.JPG
    DSCN4093.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 103
More beautiful orchestrations of light and atmosphere Tim, not to mention the birds themselves. Someone suggested a book of this summer's work. I think that's just the ticket! I wish I knew someone at Princeton University Press, who I think was the publisher of Lars' last book. Whoever had the good sense to publish your newest work I think would have a hit on their hands.

If you miss a few days sometimes it is hard to know what to say. I love the field work and notes, and paintings are just great. I've said it before, but I love how you see birds.

Had to take another look at the dark phase bird - just a couple of issues regarding the face of the bird - I think I've sorted it now, but time may change that opinion.

Just been in for another look- its a really fantastic piece: and thickening up the bill on the light phase bird was more than a tinker- it has added to the overall relaxed-but-powerful mood

Last edited:
I obvoiusly had no need to comment further on this latest bunch delightful skuaness, you clearly would have heard my gasps of amazement all the way up where you are.

Mike

Had really close encounters with a short-eared owl last week during youngest sprog's riding lesson down in the old country of South Ronaldsay (it's easy to forget that these birds were sighted daily when we lived down there). I wanted to recreate the warm end of day light which bathed the landscape as the bird drifted over the meadows and paddocks.
watercolour 22"x15"

Attachments

• seosmll.jpg
    seosmll.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 128
I wanted to recreate the warm end of day light which bathed the landscape as the bird drifted over the meadows and paddocks.
watercolour 22"x15"[/QUOTE

And it sure looks like you've been successful. There is quite a sense of overall light bathing the scene. I also think that you've been bold in letting the lower wing go completely into the dark shrub. The bird could be read as something sticking out of that dark mass, more like a road sign than a bird. But it doesn't at all. It still has a great sense of loft, overcoming what I think would normally be something that shouldn't work compositionally. (This is just my gut reaction, and as usual may be completely off the wall). In any case it's a great success I think. Makes me want to be outside rather than in here on the computer. But I'm trying to line up a sale so it's time well spent.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back