• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow "gurgling" (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I've a few Carrion Crows that visit my garden each day, and one of them sometimes makes a strange sound; I'd describe it as a low gurgling or gargling sound. It's not loud, almost like a Cat purring. I've searched around and the only reference I can find is to Crows showing affection to one another. Now that could be true, but the only Crow in the garden at the time, is the one making the noise.

Apart from the Crow telling me that it loves me, I can't explain why it's making the noise|=)| So, any of you have any experience of this? Maybe you've hand-reared Corvids and have a better idea why they make this noise.

Thanks.

The Ravens in my area (and sometimes Crows too but less frequently) make this sound frequently. I have recorded it actually, but I don't think you can post audio clips on here.

The Ravens also make a lot of "knocking" calls too. Before I moved here I had never heard such a thing from any corvid.

I only hear it when its hot outside, if that helps. Now its starting to cool down they don't make it so often.

EDIT: Actually in Australia the Little Ravens made growling/gargling sounds all the time.

Hi Silverwolf

You certainly can upload audio clips - if you reply in advanced mode and scroll down you'll see a box for Manage Attachments, click on that and search for the file on your hard drive .mp3 file format is best I think. The clip will be added to your post.

We're always looking for sound files to add to the relevant Opus article too, currently there isn't one for the Common Raven.

D

Ah, maybe I was mixing it up with another forum that didn't allow music/audio. Anyway, I'll see if I can find them....

Gee Ravens are interesting.... Okay, I've managed to find all but the gurgling. That is I have the following:
-Knocking calls (with American crows in background)
-Call that sounds like a table being pushed over a wooden floor: this one is most interesting....
-Regular calls VS an American Crow which are somewhat amusing as the Crow is always being interrupted.
-Call variant

Also note that these were all filmed via a basic camera, and there is a fair share of annoying droning, sensitivity to wind etc. I've used noise reduction, so most of it is gone.
Also also, Delia, feel free to use these for Opus. All of the above are from the Common Raven (C. corax).

I should have the gurgling clips by tonight.

Attachments

• knockknockraven.mp3
    579.6 KB · Views: 731
  • raventable2.mp3
    442.9 KB · Views: 639
  • ravenvscrow.mp3
    977.6 KB · Views: 561
  • ravencallvariant.mp3
    59.6 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Thanks very much Silverwolf. I've added one of your recordings to the article and also provided a link to this thread.

D

The Ravens in my area (and sometimes Crows too but less frequently) make this sound frequently. I have recorded it actually, but I don't think you can post audio clips on here.

The Ravens also make a lot of "knocking" calls too. Before I moved here I had never heard such a thing from any corvid.

I only hear it when its hot outside, if that helps. Now its starting to cool down they don't make it so often.

EDIT: Actually in Australia the Little Ravens made growling/gargling sounds all the time.

Thanks for replying.

I've not found any correlation between the the Weather or temperature and the "gurgling"; they seem to do it all year round. It's possible that another Crow is nearby, and that they're just communicating.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back