• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (7 Viewers)

A kingfisher this morning outside Inverdee house.

Also, on tuesday evening there was a great-spotted woodpecker at the sewage works.

Other than that though it's been dead...

A delightful late autumn day here in Torry, with light breezes and clear skies. It was fairly quiet for birds but with a few interesting bits and pieces. The best was my second apparent Siberian Chiffchaff of the autumn, moving rapidly about Tullos Burn calling regularly. It didn't stay in one place long enough for good views but looked about the right colours. Other migrants included a normal Chiffchaff, four Goldcrests and a Redwing. I caught a brief view of a Water Rail disappearing off along the burn. At least one was heard calling too, as was a Moorhen. Also in the Nigg Bay area were six Common Snipe, a Jack Snipe, a Teal, a Siskin and two Redpolls. A large group of at least 14 Long-tailed Tits was circulating around throughout the morning.

Otherwise there wasn't too much, aside from three Stonechats. We also had some significant action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

* punches air in delight *

Attachments

• Curlew_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 53
  • LT Tit_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    LT Tit_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Turnstones_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    Turnstones_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 60
Here's another in our ongoing series of 'forlorn looking single geese at Girdle Ness'. This Pink-foot was looking tired and emotional just east of Greyhope Bay.

Attachments

• PF Goose_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    PF Goose_Girdle Ness_291016a.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 73
Had a pleasant wander around in 'interesting' weather conditions that I thought might do something. It was very calm with a bit of rain and cloud early on, but became brighter later. A few birds seemed to be moving through, including seven Fieldfares heading west in ones and twos. There didn't seem to be much hanging around on the deck though.

I'm not sure what's happening with Long-tailed Tits at the moment but a group of at least four were along Abbey Road. I've almost never seen this species on the north side of Torry. More were still around Nigg Bay. Other stuff in that area included one Chiffchaff, a Teal, four Rooks and four Common Snipe. At least two Water Rails were calling almost continuously along the burn. I also caught up with the Great Spotted Woodpecker along the railway embankment.

As it turned out the weather did do something, but three miles up the coast.

Last edited:
Definitely winter here today in Torry, with persisent cold northerly winds, chilly showers and low temperatures. Seawatching was the main event and things were interesting without being spectacular. The best were two Little Auks. One flew north just a few hundred metres out and another flew up from the sea and then went further out. Also moving were seven Long-tailed Duck (with another on Nigg Bay) and three Wigeon.

Nigg Bay wetlands held six Common Snipe and a Jack Snipe. A Moorhen was seen in flight, dropping into the marsh, and a Water Rail was again calling.

More cool, wintery weathery today with the north wind whipping up the waves and brisk showers interrupting the winter sun. A Greylag Goose was wandering along the north shore by Inverdee House, adding itself to the list of forlorn, lone geese that have put down here over recent weeks. Apparently it's been there since Friday.

The sea was the main event again, although it seems I missed the best of the passage. Most of the birds moving were ducks: four Tufted Ducks, four Common Scoter, seven Goldeneye, 16 Long-tailed Duck, five Wigeon, 13 Teal and an impressive 36 Mallard.

Otherwise things were subdued, aside from 16 Long-tailed Tits in the Nigg Bay area and two Stonechats on the south bank.

Attachments

• Greylag_Girdle Ness_061116a.jpg
    Greylag_Girdle Ness_061116a.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Greylag_Girdle Ness_061116b.jpg
    Greylag_Girdle Ness_061116b.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 38
  • LT Duck_Girdle Ness_06116a.jpg
    LT Duck_Girdle Ness_06116a.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Goldeneye_Girdle Ness_051116a.jpg
    Goldeneye_Girdle Ness_051116a.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Turnstone_Girdle Ness_051116a.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_051116a.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 42
A cold, crisp winter's day with an overnight frost meaning there was plenty of ice around. A Goldcrest was along Victoria Road and plenty of Snipe (at least 8 but probably more) were around the marsh and burn. I also saw two Water Rails, both briefly and in flight. They were calling almost continuously and I suspect there are more than two around. Also seven Teal on the reedy pool. A Woodcock was flushed a couple of times.

I spent a bit of time with a Chiffchaff around the waterworks, which was frequently giving the disconcerting 'sweeoo' call. It sounds at first like a tristis but is much too downslurred and not flat enough. From what I saw the bird looked fairly normal. See below for a recording and sonogram.

Otherwise things were quiet. A Goldeneye was on Nigg Bay, a Knot in Greyhope Bay and there were three Stonechats.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_Nigg_Bay_191116aMP3.mp3
    384 KB · Views: 34
  • Chiffchaff_Nigg Bay_191116aSpec.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Nigg Bay_191116aSpec.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 43
Warning to purists: today's posts includes a supplementary 'Birds fae Kincorth' section

With temperatures down to -6 overnight, I thought it might be worth a look along the River Dee to see if any interesting waterfowl had come in. My hunch soon paid dividends with two Little Grebes next to the Victoria Bridge - often a tricky species to pick up here.

I continued upstream along the river to Kincorth, where there were four more Little Grebes, six Teal and six Goosander. Nearby Allenvale Cemetery was very busy with birds feeding on rowan berries. There were numerous Redwings, Fieldfares and Mistle Thrushes, as well as various finches. The Mistle Thrush numbers dwindled by one, which was taken out by a passing Sparrowhawk. The Sparrowhawk was watched for quite some time plucking at the thrush amongst the gravestones. The main targets (possibly for the Sparrowhawks as well as me) were Waxwings and I found a couple of small parties totalling 27 birds trilling away in the trees in the centre of the cemetery.

I crossed back over the river to look around Kincorth and soon located more Waxwings. They were quite mobile but the largest group totalled around 70. There may have been more than that and, given that there are still plenty of berries, I expect the numbers to build over the coming week or so.

Attachments

• Little Grebe_Torry_201116a.jpg
    Little Grebe_Torry_201116a.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Goldfinch_Allenvale_201116a.jpg
    Goldfinch_Allenvale_201116a.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Sparrowhawk_Allenvale_201116a.jpg
    Sparrowhawk_Allenvale_201116a.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Sparrowhawk_Allenvale_201116b.jpg
    Sparrowhawk_Allenvale_201116b.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Sparrowhawk_Allenvale_201116c.jpg
    Sparrowhawk_Allenvale_201116c.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 45
The berry in the mouth is very much 'the money shot' with Waxwings, I reckon. I was even more pleased to get the rare shot of a Waxwing turning into a fish though.

Attachments

• Waxwing_Kincorth_201116c.jpg
    Waxwing_Kincorth_201116c.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 63
  • Waxwing_Kincorth_201116d.jpg
    Waxwing_Kincorth_201116d.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 46
  • Waxwing_Kincorth_201116e.jpg
    Waxwing_Kincorth_201116e.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Waxwing_Kincorth_201116a.jpg
    Waxwing_Kincorth_201116a.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Waxwing_Kincorth_201116b.jpg
    Waxwing_Kincorth_201116b.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 70
A relatively pleasant day here. After a cold week the temperatures turned mild during the morning, with occasional sun and light winds. The birding was still wintery though. Water Rails were again vocal along Tullos Burn, with probably four different birds heard, one of which was briefly seen. A Moorhen was also seen, quietly swimming about amongst the reeds. Other stuff in the Nigg Bay area included four Snipe and a Woodcock. I wonder if the Woodcock is hanging around rather than being a migrant, as I've put one up from the same area two weeks in succession. Perhaps the best sighting was of a Weasel peeking out from the grass along the edge of the Burn - I think only the second I've seen in the area.

Otherwise things were quiet, with two Stonechats, four Red-throated Divers, ten Ringed Plover and a Goosander all that was of any note. Quite large numbers of auks were offshore, including far more Razorbills than I've seen for a while.

This is mostly another additon of 'Birds fae Kincorth', as I headed out that way once again today. The weather was mostly fine, but sometimes quite cloudy. It took a while initially to find many Waxwings but eventually a large flock was encountered in the Deevale Road area. The flock seemed very unsettled, rarely stopping in any particular spot for long. More birds seemed to be coming together though and I snapped a few photos of the flock as it swirled around, hoping to get an accurate count later. It took a while to count my 'best shot' of the flock but there were at least 530 birds.

Local ringers had set up some mist nets but they weren't successful while I was there. Hopefully they might have had better luck later in the day.

A sizeable flock of at least 155 Waxwings was in Allenvale Cemetery too. These were a bit more cooperative, perching high in the trees. It's possible these were some of the birds I'd seen in Kincorth earlier, less than a kilometre away, although it's not implausible that they were totally different. There are definitely a lot of Waxwings in that area, one way or another.

Otherwise the birds were similar to last week. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was in Kincorth. Over 100 Redwings were in Allenvale and there were smaller numbers of Mistle Thrushes and Fieldfares. Four Little Grebes were on the River Dee in Kincorth with two more again by the Victoria Bridge in Torry.

Attachments

• Waxwing_Allenvale_271116a.jpg
    Waxwing_Allenvale_271116a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Redwing_Allenvale_271116a.jpg
    Redwing_Allenvale_271116a.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 49
The best birds today were early on, with a flock of around 50 Waxwings flying along Victoria Road and down towards Abbey Road. My first Torry Waxwings for a few years.

It was quiet around Nigg Bay. Even the Water Rails were largely silent, with just one heard briefly. There were also two Teal and eight Snipe.

Offshore a Common Scoter went north. Four Sanderling were on the breakwater and 125 Purple Sandpipers were roosting. It was generally quiet though, to the extent that I ended up looking for that old 'Birds fae Torry' favourite of Eiders with sails.

Still on the quiet side here today, in mild winds and relatively bright conditions. Two Water Rails were calling along the Tullos Burn, and there were also a Teal and three Snipe in the area. Otherwise rather lacking in birds around there at the moment though.

The small Sanderling influx was still on the go, with a flock of seven frequenting the 'Costa del Torry' beach inshore of the breakwater. Nearby there was a (fairly normal looking) Chiffchaff in an isolated bush on the north bank. I wondered if it might be a recent arrival, given the location.

One pleasing feature of the day were large numbers (15-20) of very active Bottlenose Dolphins. They've actually been quite scarce over the past few months but were back with a vengeance. Something I forgot to mention from last Sunday was a high count of Harbour Porpoises, with at least 8-10 present. They seem to become more prominent when the dolphins are away. Today I didn't notice any.

There also seemed to have been an obvious influx of gulls to the harbour in the last week. You might assume that there are always thousands of gulls in a large harbour like Aberdeen, and indeed for about nine months of the year you'd be correct. Numbers drop off quite considerably during the winter however, when I assume they move up to the fishing ports of Peterhead and Fraserburgh. This means that the current influx is quite notable and is worth keeping an eye on. Not that I saw anything good amongst them today mind.

Attachments

• Sanderling_Girdle Ness_101216a.jpg
    Sanderling_Girdle Ness_101216a.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 43
  • Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101216a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101216a.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 39
I suspect today will have been my final trudge around the district for the year. It was quite a pleasant stroll with one or two interesting sightings. The Nigg Bay area held at least eight Common Snipe, a Moorhen, three Rooks, a Redwing, a Goldcrest, nine Long-tailed Tits and two Chiffchaffs. One of the latter was a bit 'interesting' looking but didn't call.

Elsewhere there were three Stonechats, with six Sanderling again frequenting the 'Costa del Torry'. Bottlenose Dolphins were again conspicuous. Perhaps the best bird, and certainly the most surprising, was a Greenshank roosting with the Redshanks on Skate's Nose. That was my first of the year here and certainly my first ever here in winter.

Attachments

• BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_171216a.jpg
    BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_171216a.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_171216a.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_171216a.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Sanderling_Girdle Ness_171216a.jpg
    Sanderling_Girdle Ness_171216a.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Sanderling_Girdle Ness_171216b.jpg
    Sanderling_Girdle Ness_171216b.jpg