• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly Islands Pelagic trip UK last weekend Aug 2023 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

We undertook our first ever experience with pelagic boat trips out from St Mary over one weekend. The experience was was amazing.
Red-footed Booby* (resting on Bishop Lighthouse every day)
Great Shearwater *(lots including one onf the ferry to Penzance
Cory's Shearwater* (many including some on the ferry to and from Penzance)
Manx Shearwater* (lots on the ferry and some on the pelagic trips)
Scopoli's Shearwater* (possible - awaiting further scrutiny of the many photographs taken including one being a distinct possibility-this species was confirmed as seen by other birders too)
Sooty Shearwater *( one bird was seen and photographed)
South Polar Skua *(A sighting on one pelagic which some photographed but we only got a distant view of the bird as it flew far and high)
Arctic Skua|* ( dark morph)
Arctic Skua ( pale morph)
European Storm Petrels * ( seen two of the days)

In addition: Common Tern, Northern Fulmar, Eurasian Shag, 3 species of gull, Eurasian Oystercatcher

Other than birds:
Blue shark came to nibble at the chum bag
Common Dolphin (everyday including the ferry trips).

Astericked species are those we counted as what would be lifers - up to nine!

Last edited:
Was this last weekend (19th-20th) or meaning the last weekend in August (26th-27th).

Not that it really matters.

It wasn’t 21st anyway, which corresponded with my day trip.

I hope it’s as good next year. I’m gonna book a week in August to do daily trips from Penzance or even stay in Scilly if any accommodation is available, and hopefully join Bob Floods Pelagics.

We undertook our first ever experience with pelagic boat trips over one weekend. The pelagic boat Sapphire departed each day from the quay at the island of St Mary. The experience was simply amazing! Also the weather was lovely and sunny every day.
Species seen included
Red-footed Booby* (resting on Bishop Lighthouse every day)
Great Shearwater *(lots including one on the return ferry on board the Scillonian III to Penzance
Cory's Shearwater* (many including some on the ferry to and from Penzance)
Manx Shearwater* (lots on the ferry journeys and some on the pelagic trips)
Scopoli's Shearwater* (possible - awaiting further scrutiny of the many photographs taken including one being a distinct possibility-this species was confirmed as seen by other birders too)
Sooty Shearwater *( one bird was seen and photographed on day 2 of the three)
South Polar Skua *(A sighting on one day which some photographed but not us. We did get a distant view of the bird as it flew far and high but once the bird had been called out, we were too slow. We didnt get the camera up in time or manage to observe any features of the bird).
Arctic Skua|* ( dark morph - one bird)
Arctic Skua* ( pale morph - one bird)
European Storm Petrels * ( a few seen two of the three days. Record shots obtained).
Common Murre (Guillemot - seen only on the ferry)

In addition: Common Tern, Northern Fulmar, Northern Gannet, Eurasian Shag, 3 species of gull, Eurasian Oystercatcher

Other than birds:
Blue shark came to nibble at the chum bag
Common Dolphin (everyday including the ferry trips).

Astericked species are those we counted as what would be lifers - up to nine distinct species!
Link to the pictures doesn't work?

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0228.jpg
    DSC_0228.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0617.jpg
    DSC_0617.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0675.jpg
    DSC_0675.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
  • fp0051.jpg
    fp0051.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 24
  • sat 0755.jpg
    sat 0755.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 25
  • sat 0406.jpg
    sat 0406.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 26
  • sat 0202.jpg
    sat 0202.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 28
  • sat 1354.jpg
    sat 1354.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • sat 1460.jpg
    sat 1460.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 26
  • sat 1760.jpg
    sat 1760.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I hope it’s as good next year. I’m gonna book a week in August to do daily trips from Penzance or even stay in Scilly if any accommodation is available, and hopefully join Bob Floods Pelagics.
The accommodation over there is dear. One might want to try the camping experience. On the other hand to do a cheap £35 day trip over there and join a pelagic trip upon arrival. One would need to check ferry outward times and return times on a day that fits in with the itinerary of the pelagic trip (Mr Flood). This does occur and might be a good way to do it.

We booked a weeks accommodation in january for august in 2020, it wasnt especially extortionate for a family holiday in fairly basic but enjoyable accommodation but I know the big issue is availability nearer the summer and booking for smaller lengths of time.

We booked a weeks accommodation in january for august in 2020, it wasnt especially extortionate for a family holiday in fairly basic but enjoyable accommodation but I know the big issue is availability nearer the summer and booking for smaller lengths of time.
Yes, I imagine booking well in advance would be essential.

Sorry for the belated reply. I was there on Scilly 24, 25, and 26 August 2023 (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) and went out with Bob Flood all three days (short trips Thur and Fri, with a longer one on the Saturday)
If you plan to go it in August 2024 by means of day trip or trips, it may be helpful to know that depending on the choice of day, you would get a shorter or longer period of time on Scilly. Knowing this perhaps can be helpful in choosing a day that fits in with boh the Pelagic trip and the Scillonian crossings . (Please see attached) itinerary for 2024

Attachments

• longer on scilly day trip.jpg
    longer on scilly day trip.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back