• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

That's 101 for the Garden life list

Richard - sorry to say I somehow missed #100. I remember you musing it might turn out to be Whinchat but I know it wasn't. What was it that brought up your century? Or do I need to read back through the thread to find out?

Steve

Richard - sorry to say I somehow missed #100. I remember you musing it might turn out to be Whinchat but I know it wasn't. What was it that brought up your century? Or do I need to read back through the thread to find out?

Steve

Ha, it was all a bit embarrassing really, I was checking a previous year’s Garden List and realised that Grey Wagtail was missing from the Garden Life List! So the Short toed Treecreeper was actually no. 100!

I also included a photo of the backyard, at least most of it. Lots of sky, but not many tall trees! There are two tall ones just out of frame, but that's it.

Oh, you have your own birding tower there. 8-P

Richard! :brains: :-O

Weekend was quite good for garden ticks.

Saturday:
#61. Common Tern
#62. Whimbrel
- Garden lifer. 2 birds flew over and if they had been silent, I may not have noticed them at all.
#63. Northern Pintail - Garden lifer. 7 birds flew over. Luckily I manage to take photo. Otherwise I wouldn't dear to ID them...

Sunday evening at 10 pm I went on yard to listen to any Black Scoters flying over. No BS's, but:
#64. Bittern - Distant booming from local bay. I think this was my third record ever.
#65. Green-winged Teal - An other Garden lifer. Heard only, but several birds flew over.
#66. Goldeneye - Not annual and I only heard the whistle of wings.

PS. Also not annual at resent years so very nice suprise were two Hedgehogs.

Attachments

• ddaaP1360252.jpg
    ddaaP1360252.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ddaaP1370714.jpg
    ddaaP1370714.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 37
  • ddaaP1370732.jpg
    ddaaP1370732.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 30
  • ddaaP1370778.jpg
    ddaaP1370778.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 54
  • ddaaP1370852.jpg
    ddaaP1370852.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Richard! :brains: :-O

Weekend was quite good for garden ticks.

Saturday:
#61. Common Tern
#62. Whimbrel
- Garden lifer. 2 birds flew over and if they had been silent, I may not have noticed them at all.
#63. Northern Pintail - Garden lifer. 7 birds flew over. Luckily I manage to take photo. Otherwise I wouldn't dear to ID them...

Sunday evening at 10 pm I went on yard to listen to any Black Scoters flying over. No BS's, but:
#64. Bittern - Distant booming from local bay. I think this was my third record ever.
#65. Green-winged Teal - An other Garden lifer. Heard only, but several birds flew over.
#66. Goldeneye - Not annual and I only heard the whistle of wings.

PS. Also not annual at resent years so very nice suprise were two Hedgehogs.

Well done on the “Grdn.Lifers” Wari! How many lifers have you had this year...surely not as many as birdmeister. :eek!: :t:

The past two weeks have been a bit of a struggle for passerine migrants, fortunately there has been a decent number of waders moving, the undoubted highlight were the 6 Black-tailed Godwits, only my 5th record in 9 years here. The parakeet was a rather unwanted new bird for the garden, joining the Alexandrine on my patch now and tonights adult Pom Skua was an unusual spring record for here.

Lockdown has obviously helped my garden yearlist so far as I'd normally be away for most of the spring so I thought I'd check my numbers for previous years up to the 5th May: 2019 - 91 species, 2018 - 82 species, 2017 - 93 species.

126 Bar-tailed Godwit 23-Apr-20
127 Avocet 23-Apr-20
128 Common Sandpiper 23-Apr-20
129 Common Cuckoo 27-Apr-20
130 Ring-necked Pheasant 02-May-20
131 Willow Warbler 02-May-20
132 Rose-ringed Parakeet 02-May-20
133 Black-tailed Godwit 04-May-20
134 Pomarine Skua 05-May-20

I only wish! This is from one of the bedroom windows, only an emergency observatory. If sun glare is bad or there are light showers, I head into the little playset "hut". Otherwise, I stand on the left side of the yard in the grass, or in a patio chair for afternoon raptor watches.

Last edited:
The past two weeks have been a bit of a struggle for passerine migrants, fortunately there has been a decent number of waders moving, the undoubted highlight were the 6 Black-tailed Godwits, only my 5th record in 9 years here. The parakeet was a rather unwanted new bird for the garden, joining the Alexandrine on my patch now and tonights adult Pom Skua was an unusual spring record for here.

Lockdown has obviously helped my garden yearlist so far as I'd normally be away for most of the spring so I thought I'd check my numbers for previous years up to the 5th May: 2019 - 91 species, 2018 - 82 species, 2017 - 93 species.

126 Bar-tailed Godwit 23-Apr-20
127 Avocet 23-Apr-20
128 Common Sandpiper 23-Apr-20
129 Common Cuckoo 27-Apr-20
130 Ring-necked Pheasant 02-May-20
131 Willow Warbler 02-May-20
132 Rose-ringed Parakeet 02-May-20
133 Black-tailed Godwit 04-May-20
134 Pomarine Skua 05-May-20

Wow Ryan, you’re way up on your usual even allowing for lockdown ( I’m five up on my end of April tally for last year, but as I’m retired I’m not spending huge amounts of extra time garden birding compared to a typical spring), Black- tailed Godwit is a good one, in my 16 years at Selsey Bill I only recorded the species once!

I may be mis-understanding, but the photo of ducks flying that you have posted shows Eurasian Wigeon, not Northern Pintail

I wonder long time between those two species and even asked for one friend. He's thought was that they are Pintails. But maybe I have to ask few opinions still.

Edit: Now I got opinion also from real Guru and Pintails they are.

PS. Wigeon would been G-lifer too.

Last edited:
I only wish! This is from one of the bedroom windows, only an emergency observatory. If sun glare is bad or there are light showers, I head into the little playset "hut". Otherwise, I stand on the left side of the yard in the grass, or in a patio chair for afternoon raptor watches.

I just meant that playset hut is "birding tower" of yours. :king:

I wonder long time between those two species and even asked for one friend. He's thought was that they are Pintails. But maybe I have to ask few opinions still.

Edit: Now I got opinion also from real Guru and Pintails they are.

PS. Wigeon would been G-lifer too.

Surely they are Wigeon? Anybody else able to confirm?

I wasn't expecting that...(though it isn't a garden tick, just a lot less than annual)

62. Ring-necked Parakeet One in bushes across the brook, chased off by Magpie.

Every little helps I suppose!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back