• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth of the Day (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
After a rather lean spell when others have been recording bumper catches, I got two moths in my trap last night! One rather scruffy Common Quaker, and the attached Early Grey - a new one for me. Maybe there still is life in Wandsworth after all...

Attachments

• Early Grey.jpg
    Early Grey.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 156
Nice photo Andrew, these are always one of my favourites at this time of year. I love the way the reniform and orbital stigmatas are joined - it always reminds me of an ornate telephone receiver!

Nice one Andrew,
I wish I saw them more often, I've only seen a dozen or so in forty years. It's very local in Northumberland.

Harry Eales.

I tend to forget that what may be common with me is scarce in other areas. I've had up to 29 Early grey in a single trap. The predominate form with me is the pink form ab. rosea ( some very pink), which was about 90% until a couple weeks back. I'm now seeing more of the 'plain' form with the pink form accounting for about 50% now.

Hi Angus,
You must have a lot of Honeysuckle growing locally.

Every area of Britain has some species which are scarce or rare elsewhere. Despite having trapped moths for over forty years I still get the occasional species I have never met before in my own recording area. Each trip out may bring something new, it all adds to the excitement. Finding something totally new to add the county list is always a possibility, and it does happen, even in the most northerly county in England.

Harry Eales.

CJW said:
Nice photo Andrew, these are always one of my favourites at this time of year. I love the way the reniform and orbital stigmatas are joined - it always reminds me of an ornate telephone receiver!

Thanks CJ - through a process of elimination I now know what reniform and orbital stigmatas are!
James

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back