• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

Rather disappointing 24 moths of 9 species in our traps in a west London reserve this morning. Large Yellow Underwing was most common followed by Willow Beauty & Box Moth.

The only other micro was an Acleris variegana.

Pick were a melanic Green Brindled Crescent & Red-green Carpet.

Red-green Carpet last night was the first addition to the year list for more than a week. Yellow Underwings seem to have disappeared, with Light Brown Apple Moth and Common Marbled Carpet being the commonest catch now (after wasps!).

Commonest thing in my trap this morning was wasps. Just 18 moths of ten species but including my first Black Rustic of the year and my latest ever Setaceous Hebrew Characters.
Yet to get many of the autumn moths, as I was reminded by my mate down the road who showed me Pink-barred Sallow and Beaded Chestnut from his catch.

Figure of Eight joined the year list this morning, Angle Shades the other notable. Other than that a single Garden a couple of Red-green & a dozen or so Common Marbled Carpets.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_072959.jpg
    IMG_20210928_072959.jpg
    994.3 KB · Views: 8
Cold at night here now, combined with wind and rain it's a non starter. My last attempt netted exactly '0' moths so I could be done for the year.

Cold at night here now, combined with wind and rain it's a non starter. My last attempt netted exactly '0' moths so I could be done for the year.
I was feeling the same way but my mate from down the road arrived today with Rosy Rustic, Green-brindled Crescent and Beaded Chestnut, all of which I need for my year list, so I will persist except on the worst nights.

Don't give up now folks! I only trapped till midnight last night, and it was pretty chilly, but of the eight species I got, three were NFY - Blair's Shoulder-knot, Barred Sallow & Beaded Chestnut. It's not over till its over!

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_122912.jpg
    IMG_20210930_122912.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210930_123046.jpg
    IMG_20210930_123046.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210930_123135.jpg
    IMG_20210930_123135.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back