• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sale - Good birding sites? (1 Viewer)

Jpidgeon

I live in Sale and as I am now retired I have time to spend birdwatching. I am a virtual novice and could do with advice on good sites locally.

Any advice would be gratefully received

(I've also posted this on the Cheshire thread as I'm in Cheshire and Greater Manchester)

As a young teenager back in the 70's I used to go to Chorlton Meadows a lot - I understand that the site is not so good now and that Chorlton Water Park nearby (to the east) is full of water sport enthusiasts. In the meadows there used to be breeding Grasshopper Warblers and Corn Buntings but I suspect that they no longer do. The water park sometimes held winter duck and the occasional diver or grebe. Anyway, the area is probably still worth visiting for some very local birding as its on the northern edge of Sale. Much better birding can be had in further from the city of Manchester - my favourite and regular sites were Tatton and Rothserne Meres and Sandbach Flashes - though these would mean much more travelling. I'm sure others could inform much better and up to date.

Sale Water Park used to be good however it has gone downhill in recent years, although the feeders at the south end can be good (had Willow Tit, Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpecker here in the past). Then from there a walk along the river towards Chorlton Water Park will usually produce a good few species such as Grey Wagtail, Little Grebe and possibly Kingfisher. Chorlton Water Park itself usually holds quite a lot of ducks especially in winter.

Further afield near to Leigh in west Manchester there is Pennington Flash which is a brilliant place to birdwatch and has a variety of species and hides.

This website is a great one for keeping up to date with sightings around Manchester. http://manchesterbirding.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=96752&subForumID=303986&p=2

Another recommendation for the Manchester Website - excellent site maps, latest reports and a good network of local (and friendly!) birders.

Welcome to BF!

Thanks for the advice. I do go to Sale and Chorlton pretty regularly, I'll have to look more carefully. Thanks also for the link to the website

Jude

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back