• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro DCA with sony NEX7 (1 Viewer)

privatedoc

Hi folks

My Mrs has treated me to a Swarovski ATM 80HD with 20-60 zoom for my birthday !!!!!

well pleased but would like to use my NEX-7 for some digiscoping

I have the 16mm, 50mm and 18-200 lenses so was thinking the 50mm would be best...Has anyone any experience of this setup with the DCA adapter??

I like the neatness of the DCA, the bigger universal adapter seems a wee bit clumsy for use in the field

any advice greatly accepted

ps, WOW, what a scope! I'm loving it.

Hi,
I've just got a micro 4/3 camera, a Lumix G3. It's small and light enough to use on the DCB-A adapter when it's got a prime lens on it.
Even though it looks a bit bulky, it's proving simple to set up and has that great advantage of being able to swing up and out the way.
The only negative point I've found is that the rig's centre of gravity moves forward a bit when it's swung out the way.
The 20mm f/1.7 lens give just a smidgen of vignetting. I've noticed that pulling the camera away a few extra mm from the minimum position is giving better contrast but at the expense of extra vignetting.
I've only used my DCB-A with fixed eyepieces but it should be ok with a zoom.
A 50mm lens might be a better match for the zoom's smaller afov at lower magnifications.
If you're interested in the DCB-A then measure the distance from your camera's tripod mount to the front on the lenses you're going to use. I'll see if you'd have enough depth on the bracket to mount it with the 20-60 zoom.

Attachments

• Scope 2 1600px.jpg
    Scope 2 1600px.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Scope 3 1600px.jpg
    Scope 3 1600px.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 171
Thanks for that, I experimented with a few solutions and have found a DCA and step-up ring 49-52mm works a treat, esp with the nex 50mm prime lens...having fun and with the big 24 megapix camera, vignetting doesn't matter as I just crop it down a wee bit.

nice clean solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back