• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Origins of the Scottish Capercaillie (1 Viewer)

s0198815

Hi there,

I'm am hounours zoology student at edinburgh university. I am wrighting a project proposal for an investigation into the genetic diversity of the capercaillie populations in scotland.

My background reseach so far has come up with the history of their extinction in the 18th century and then their reintroduction. What I really want to find out is from which european population the new populations were established from.

If anyone can help me with this info or might be able to suggest where I can get it I would be very greatful.

Also it would be nice to here from anyone with a similar interest

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian and Welcome to Birdforum from all the Staff here!

Google may be a good place to start but make sure your spelling is correct ;)

Someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Andy.

The original birds were brought over from Sweden and released in the area of Taymouth Castle in Perthshire. There were further releases later.

David

I've spoken to people (fairly un-reliable though) who maintain that the species never became extinct and that remanant indigenous Capper populations remained. These were augumented by the re-introduced birds.
Is there any evidence for this, is that what dj sideboard is hinting at above?

ground-roller said:
I've spoken to people (fairly un-reliable though) who maintain that the species never became extinct and that remanant indigenous Capper populations remained. These were augumented by the re-introduced birds.

I've never come across this theory but it's an interesting one nevertheless which I'd like to find out more. So we have to ask, exactly who was it that proclaimed them as extinct in 1785, ornithologists, gamekeepers.......was every inch of dense pinewood searched, I'm sure that in 1785 there was no BTO census....so how many people were actually looking? (most modern day experienced birders find it hard enough, even in an area full of birds!!!?)

Maybe they disappeared from known leks and sporting estates but Scotland is a very big place. I certainly think that the idea of a few remaining birds hidden away somewhere is possible. I know very small areas of dense Pinewood which actually hold quite a few Capers....they are pretty good at hiding away!!!
Would be interested if anyone has any references to any literature which describes their "extinction".

JP

Last edited:
ground-roller said:

No, I was pointing out that birds were introduced from more then one country (and not just Scandinavia at that), as stated in my first post.

It is of course possible that the odd bird survived in Scotland, but I think its unlikely, as it was deforestation that drove them to (presumed) extinction, and the reintroduction followed the replanting of large areas. I think that our predecessors were probably rather better at finding Capers then us too, with dogs and guns!

A useful review of Caper literature can be found at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library3/environment/crrn-02.asp

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back