• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Bins Online.... (1 Viewer)

Big Phil

I'm thinking of buying a a pair of Leica Ultravids via the web ('cause I live in the optics shop desert of Scotland)......can anyone recommend an online vendor?. Any to avoid?. Any tales of triumph or woe when buying online?.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Ffordes Photographic have a good reputation, they have a load of ex-demo Ultravids in at the mo (see used equipment>binoculars>leica) & they're based in Scotland.....

www.ffordes.com

Also, The Classic Camera (Leica dealer) have a used pair of Ultravid 8x32BR...

www.theclassiccamera.com

I've used both stores in the past, no problems......

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mook.

I've always found Warehouse Express very reliable - although I've only used them for 'minor' purchases and not life-enhancing bins.

N

Big Phil said:
I'm thinking of buying a a pair of Leica Ultravids via the web ('cause I live in the optics shop desert of Scotland)......can anyone recommend an online vendor?. Any to avoid?. Any tales of triumph or woe when buying online?.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I have dealt with Cleyspy in person and they have always been great. I would expect them to be just as good online.

:t:

number6 said:
I have dealt with Cleyspy in person and they have always been great. I would expect them to be just as good online.

:t:

I'd go with these guy's aswell

Most of the staff are birders themselves and will personally check any purchase over before they are dipatched to you.

Matt

Just bought a pair of 10 x 42 BR Ultravids from South West Optics and they matched WE's pre Jan 07 price increase BUT did free next day delivery. BTW WE do not have the 10x42's in stock at present.

Linz

Big Phil said:

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I bought my 8x42 Ulravids from Jessops who were selling via Ebay. Only £650, and they were great to deal with.

NoSpringChicken said:
I have used Sherwoods for purchases other than binoculars and found them professional with good prices.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/leica_binoculars/Leica_binoculars_fs.htm

They answered my emails and I was able to speak to a knowledgeable individual on the phone about my queries.

I bought my bins from Sherwoods Photos - they were very helpful over the phone and the bins came quickly. They were also offering the best price of all the stores I looked at.

Personally, I had a negative experience with Cleyspy and found them very unhelpful but it may have been an off day.

paulwfromtheden said:
I bought my 8x42 Ulravids from Jessops who were selling via Ebay. Only £650, and they were great to deal with.

Jee:sus when was that ! ? Best price is £939 now and new RRP is £1290 ( acc. Cley Spy, though they don't charge it) for 10 x 42's anyway. However, Jessops on any High Street will price match Gen. Internet prices so you can try before you buy.

Linz

Personally, I'd be more worried about those morons from royal mail losing my purchase in the post.I'm currently awaiting delivery of a pair of leica trinovids
that should have arrived days ago by next day/recorded delivery.

Been reading up on this a bit on the net and apparently royal mail do not have a great track record when it comes to dealing with lost mail/parcels etc
Have to wait until monday before I make a claim :storm:

Matt

matt green said:
Personally, I'd be more worried about those morons from royal mail losing my purchase in the post.I'm currently awaiting delivery of a pair of leica trinovids
that should have arrived days ago by next day/recorded delivery.

Been reading up on this a bit on the net and apparently royal mail do not have a great track record when it comes to dealing with lost mail/parcels etc
Have to wait until monday before I make a claim :storm:

Matt

Don't forget that the place you got them from should have a tracking number for them, and you do occasionally get a postie who tries to deliver and doesn't leave a card...

I eventually bought my 8x32 Utravids from Warehouse Express, coz they had them at the 'old' price, the new price is too frightening to contemplate.

Delivered with no problems - but you never really know a vendors worth until you have an issue....

Bloody brilliant bins they are too.....can't wait to get out in the Cairngorms with them tomorrow......

Big Phil said:
I eventually bought my 8x32 Utravids from Warehouse Express, coz they had them at the 'old' price, the new price is too frightening to contemplate.

Delivered with no problems - but you never really know a vendors worth until you have an issue....

Bloody brilliant bins they are too.....can't wait to get out in the Cairngorms with them tomorrow......

Hope you enjoy the binnies this w'end - am happy with mine and my "other" bins are Swarovski's ! :D I did consider the 8 x 32's, probably for the same reasons you bought them, but several ringing chums have the 10 x 42's, which I have tried many times and really liked the image. They are also quite compact compared to the EL's though the focus ring is smoother on the Swaros and they are also better balanced, though heavier, IMHO.

Did you ever get round to acquiring a recording setup Phil - should I brace myself for all these sonograms of xbills being submitted for NESBR 2006 ? !

Linz

griffin said:
I did consider the 8 x 32's, probably for the same reasons you bought them, but several ringing chums have the 10 x 42's, which I have tried many times and really liked the image.

Aye the 10x42s are awesome. I wanted a smaller and lighter pair tho cause I largely use them on the hill.

griffin said:
Did you ever get round to acquiring a recording setup Phil - should I brace myself for all these sonograms of xbills being submitted for NESBR 2006 ? !

Linz

Funnily enough I am just in the process of acquiring a 2nd hand minidisc recorder and mic...hope to get out in the field with it in the next few weeks. Be prepared for some inanely stupid questions on the sound recording forum shortly!.

griffin said:
Jee:sus when was that ! ? Best price is £939 now and new RRP is £1290 ( acc. Cley Spy, though they don't charge it) for 10 x 42's anyway. However, Jessops on any High Street will price match Gen. Internet prices so you can try before you buy.

Linz

About three months ago, I never really convinced myself that someone at Jessops wasn't on the make, but I think it was all cosher as he used a Jessops email address!! Any criminal with half a brain would not be so stupid!!
Anyway, all was fine and they are great binos.

Helenelizabeth2 said:
I bought my bins from Sherwoods Photos - they were very helpful over the phone and the bins came quickly. They were also offering the best price of all the stores I looked at.

I would echo this. I bought a scope from Sherwoods and the service and price were excellent.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back