• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller BGA 8×24 (2 Viewers)

StephenL

Hi all,

I am considering buying a pair of the above binoculars but could not find any reviews online so looking to see if anyone has a pair or have used them. What are your thoughts on them optically and how did they compare other compacts (say Leica Trinovid 8×20) that you have had experience of.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Not sure why, the bigger traveler '32 has a decent reputation.

I've been on the look out for a decent pocket but don't want to spend too much as they don't fit my eyes well at all due to the small eye cups, I've tried the curio, trinovid and cl recently and none fit, I suspect the same may be true of the traveler but would also be interested to hear from any owners.

Will

I've been on the look out for a decent pocket but don't want to spend too much as they don't fit my eyes well at all due to the small eye cups, I've tried the curio, trinovid and cl recently and none fit, I suspect the same may be true of the traveler but would also be interested to hear from any owners.
Will,
You've been spoiled by the 8x56 SLC. ;)
Use of binoculars is a simple acquired skill but paradoxically I now find the use of compacts difficult and tiresome.

John

Will,
You've been spoiled by the 8x56 SLC. ;)
Use of binoculars is a simple acquired skill but paradoxically I now find the use of compacts difficult and tiresome.

John
Agreed, I don't mind the view, I just don't like the tiny eye cups! I thought the cl might be ok but still a bit small.

They mostly have decent eye relief which means for me the eye cups need to be twisted out quite a bit but even then I still get black outs and I can't do my usual trick of tightening up the ipd when I find this happening with larger bins as the eye cups and exit pupils are too small to get a reasonable alignment.

I don't mind smaller eye cups like the ones on my decarems as the eye relief with them is miniscule (7mm?!) so they can sit quite deeply without blacking out.

I think of all of them I liked the trinovid 8x20 the most- feels very solid and robust- I guess all pockets have to have pocket sized eye cups!

That may well be of relevance to the o.p of this thread as it's not a huge amount more than the opticron mentioned...

Will

Thanks Will. The Trinovid is one that I will/have consider/ed however there are plenty of reviews online whereas I can find nothing for the Opticron's and was hoping that someone would have beenable to comment on their optical capabilities. I'll keep my eye on the classified section for some Trinovid's.

By the way I also use the trick of closing the ipd to stop blackout.

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back