• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynford Arboretum 31st December 2005 (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Decided it was time that I finally saw a hawfinch after 25 years' birding, so called in at Lynford Arboretum (including going down to the gravel pits nearby). I saw:

Goosander (7 or 8)
Pochard
Wigeon
Pintail
Tufted Duck
Mallard
Gadwall
Teal
Great-crested Grebe
Cormorant
Egyptian Goose (2)
Mute Swan
Moorhen
Coot
Kingfisher
Black-headed Gull
Lesser-black Backed Gull
Kestrel
Treecreeper (3)
Nuthatch
Goldcrest (lots)
Redwing
Blackbird
Mistle Thrush
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Great-spotted Woodpecker (heard only)
Siskin (lots)
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Robin
Wren
Pheasant
Something unfamiliar, brown, biggish, that flew up in front of me from the ground in the middle of the forest making a lot of noise (female Golden Pheasant?)
Jay
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Hedge Sparrow
Kestrel
Barn Owl (by road outside)
Tawny Owl (ditto)
Woodpigeon

Muntjac
Rabbit

But NO Hawfinch. :C

So I thought I'd make a new list. Places I've been to especially to look for hawfinch and failed:

Lynford Arboretum
Clumber Park
Wolves Wood, Suffolk
Danbury Wood, Essex
Virginia Water

I give up on the damn things. Maybe it's all a conspiracy and they don't really exist?

Last edited:
I give up on the damn things. Maybe it's all a conspiracy and they don't really exist?

you could try Benington in Herts, up to 12 here since Thursday last week :t:

good views from the churchyard, early morning is best.

Arbu said:
Decided it was time that I finally saw a hawfinch after 25 years' birding, so called in at Lynford Arboretum (including going down to the gravel pits nearby). I saw:

But NO Hawfinch. :C

I usually get to the Arboretum a few times a year. The Hawfinches are a bit hit and miss. They're often in the trees in and around the big field just past the bridge.

I was told by a local birder that Feb is the best month to see them. The birds at Bennington are a good bet.

Last edited:
Thanks, I might try Bennington if the birds stay around a few more days. Whatever happens I get to add to one list!

I can sympathise

Boy can I sympathise. It is not an unusual "blocker" to have. I try every year in different places and have missed out for close on a decade. Once you see it you will then see it every year - I was like this with short eared owls.

I almost want not to go after this one deliberately to see whether I can get one "by accident" - some chance.

pduxon said:
I was told by a local birder that Feb is the best month to see them. The birds at Bennington are a good bet.

It's certainly good advice - although it's possible to see them at any time of year they seem to be recorded daily in Feb. Best place is in the paddock, set yourself up on one side and give yourself a couple of hours - although they are ID'able with bins you really need to have a scope with you for good views.

Thanks, I might try Bennington if the birds stay around a few more days.

5 or 6 still around the churchyard all morning today, possibly a larger group of 10+ around midday but distant.

Try Draycote Water visitor centre - I dropped in when passing near by on New Years Eve - excellent views. There were 3 around the car park.

Also some in Ferry Meadows near Peterborough.

I have never seen them well at Lynwood Arboretum despite a few visits.

Kimipti said:
Try Draycote Water visitor centre - I dropped in when passing near by on New Years Eve - excellent views. There were 3 around the car park.

Also some in Ferry Meadows near Peterborough.

I have never seen them well at Lynwood Arboretum despite a few visits.

Certainly if you're prepared to drive a bit, the Draycote birds seem pretty reliable and quite popular. We've found them easily within a few minutes of arrrival on both our recent visits. GNDive and Smew on the reservoir and a field full of what might have been Alpacas might make the 80-100 mile drive worth the effort.

I think I'll give Benington a try tomorrow. Draycote Water is a bit far...

been around the churchyard all today (5 first thing this morning) but very active, they've been flying into the trees North of the churchyard at approx 08:15 and feeding in a tall Yew on top of Lordship Garden moat. That's probably the best time to be sure to see them but light is bad. Although they can often disappear for a while they return to the area around the church regularly.

Morning is best, dont see them much after about 2pm.

good luck tomorrow.

Richard W said:
been around the churchyard all today (5 first thing this morning) but very active, they've been flying into the trees North of the churchyard at approx 08:15 and feeding in a tall Yew on top of Lordship Garden moat. That's probably the best time to be sure to see them but light is bad. Although they can often disappear for a while they return to the area around the church regularly.

Morning is best, dont see them much after about 2pm.

good luck tomorrow.

Wahey! Saw them! They really do exist. Got there at 8:20 and walked around the churchyard in the sleet looking for them. Then someone who I think was connected with the Lordship Garden showed up and pointed them out in the yew tree, just outside the churchyard. Even when we knew what tree they were in, and standing only 20 yards from the tree, it was very hard to see them. There's no way I would have found them by myself. They didn't move much, stayed in the thickest parts of the tree, and didn't make a sound. But then they flew up (it seemed there were eight of them) and into the top of a very tall, distant, tree, from which they were much more visible, at least with a telescope. Even then you could look at the tree and miss most of them. Incredible that a bird can be so unobtrusive. Even a treecreeper that showed up while we were there was much more obvious, and they are pretty unobtrusive birds.

Anyway what a relief. I've finally seen some. Thanks very much for your advice.

Did anyone hear about a prominent local birder, one-eyed fellow from what I understand, breaking down a fence and tramping around the Lordship Estate with a couple of mates in pursuit of said Hawfinches?
Well, the landowner wasn't too pleased to say the least, this particular landowner owns virtually half of Herts for goodness sake. It just so happens that the area they elected to invade was his back garden.
Some people just don't know how to behave and can give the rest of the birding community a bad name.......
3:)

Then someone who I think was connected with the Lordship Garden showed up and pointed them out in the yew tree

that was me :)

shame about the horrible weather, glad you got a better view of them, I wasn't brave enough to stand in the snow!

8 is the most since last weekend.

Did anyone hear about a prominent local birder, one-eyed fellow from what I understand, breaking down a fence and tramping around the Lordship Estate with a couple of mates in pursuit of said Hawfinches?

in fairness to said prominent local birder I was in contact with him before he arrived and had warned the landowner (my boss) that there may be some birders around which he was fine with, unfortunately it was the landowners Son who wasn't warned that threw them out.

anyway no harm done.

Last edited:
Richard W said:
that was me :)

shame about the horrible weather, glad you got a better view of them, I wasn't brave enough to stand in the snow!

8 is the most since last weekend.

in fairness to said prominent local birder I was in contact with him before he arrived and had warned the landowner (my boss) that there may be some birders around which he was fine with, unfortunately it was the landowners Son who wasn't warned that threw them out.

anyway no harm done.

But what was the point? I couldn't have had better views from the churchyard if one had landed on my 'scope!
Having had dealings with the landowner myself, (including full access to all of his land for ringing and observation purposes) I know that he's a very benevolent fellow and holds a keen interest in wildlife. I doubt, however, that he tolerates vandalism (as I heard it was) and over-zealous birders.
There are limits to one's enthusiasm and it pays to discover them earlier in life while it's excusable..................
:-O

But what was the point? I couldn't have had better views from the churchyard if one had landed on my 'scope!

true but during the previous day I was getting better views of the birds from the gardens & passed on that info, I did put a message on Herts birds offering access for anyone who wanted it and as I said the owner was ok with that, & several people took up the offer, if they were there it was because I had given the ok.

just so happened his son (who doesn't live there) was in the garden with his family that day and didn't know.

Not seen any over-zealous birders & I've met a lot over the last 10 days or so & have seen no signs of any vandalism ? although anyone breathing too close to the fence between the church and gardens could have done some damage ;)

if any of the family were annoyed by birders over the last 10 days or so I've not heard about it and I'm sure I would.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back