• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

svetzool

Hello Friends,
I ppent the weekend in North Bulgaria. The first place I visited is Rousenski Lom Nature Park. Its a complex of canyons in Dobrudzha Plane. Its a magnificent place with rivers running through huge rocky massifs. Starting from Nisovo Village to Svalenik Village. The species list was not very big, but interesting. Just outside the village an adult Egyptian Vulture. Red-rumped Swallows were quite common along the canyon. Black Stork in a nest is unforgettable sight. Two Lesser Spotted Eagles. Eagle Owl in sitting on the rocks. Golden Orioles singing along the river - 10+. The rocks were echoing with the song of Hoopoes. Alpin Swifts also numerous. Other birds:
1. Nightingale
2. Red-backed Shrike
3. Corn Bunting
4. Cirl Bunting
5. Jay
7. Grey-headed Woodpecker
8. Turtle Dove
9. Tree Sparrow
10. White Stork
11. Blackbirds
12. Song Thrush
13. Long-legged Buzzard
14. Great Cormorant
15. Goldfinch
16. Wryneck
17. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
18. Kestrel
19. Roller
The next day I visited one of the best wetlands in Bulgaria - Sreburna Reserve. Its a 910 ha wetland connected with a dike with Danube River. Part of it is open water surfaces and part is huge reed massifs. Over 200 birds are reported here. The most notable breeder here is the Dalmatian Pelican.
The most interesting species for me during my visit:
1. Ferruginous Duck - from 20 meters distance
2. Pochard with young
3. Squacco Heron - 10 +
4. Little Egret - 40+
5. Purple Heron - 10+
6. Grey Heron - 10+
7. Pygmy Cormorant - 50+ - here is the biggest Pygmy Cormorant colony in Bulgaria
8. Great Cormorant - there is a colony in the reserve also
9. White Pelicans - 45
10. Dalmatian Pelicans - about 200, 100 young
11. Little Bittern
12. Crested Grebe - 3
13. Little Grebe - 2
14. Whiskered Tern - 20 + there are a few collonies
15. Hoopoe
16. Roller
17. Lesser Whitethroat and many others.
The place now has an eco-route going around it with very good watchpoints.

Attachments

• WhitePelicans.jpg
    WhitePelicans.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 259
Very nice!

Your Srebarna list reminds me a lot of what I saw by the Dunav in northwest Bulgaria, mostly the same species, one or two different (I didn't get White Pelican or Squacco Heron, but got Night Heron and Spoonbill)

Michael

Excellent Svetzool, I look forward to seeing some of these species when I visit Bulgaria for 2 weeks in September this year.

Hi Chris, when are you coming to Bulgaria exactly. I will be probably ringing birds on Atanasovsko Lake. We could see each other there. I wish you a lot bigger species list.

I've just come back from leading the Sunbird tour to Bulgaria. A fantastic time. Highlights (apart from a simlar experience at Srebarnaas Svetzool), were a colony of 1,500-2,000 airs of Rose-coloured Starlings north of Burgas and Laughing Gull at Shabla Marsh! Wonderful place.

Hi Swetzool

try their website perhaps? They may send also you a report if you ask them
looks a good spot to catch up with good numbers of Fudge Duck, Dalmatian Pelican and Pygmy Cormorant with the added advantage over northern Greece of a few extra goodies like LSEs

I've still got to write it. I'm half way through so should finish in a couple of days. I'll send it to you direct if you like.

This is taken from Lothian Bird News about a Lothian birder who got bitten by viper in Bulgaria. Does anyone have any idea about which species?

I think it may have been a Long-nosed Viper Vipera ammodytes, could there be any other candidates in Bulgaria?

"Thanks for your kind thoughts, after 3 days of hospital treatment my wife and i were told i could have died within the first 4 hours of receiving the bite. ( something for every birdwatcher to take note when abroad). I was sitting on the grass having a break and a drink of water, when it was time to head on i put my hand on the grass to lift myself up and that's when the viper struck. I managed to use my tripod to get the snake onto the footpath, so i could tape the culprit that gave that nasty bite. When i managed to get to hospital the blood-flow was stopped in my arm, i was given 3 bottles through a drip in my other arm, 5 injections in the same arm, 3 injections in the backside, my arm was covered with a yellow iodine and the bite was covered in a black iodine. I was given a cardiograph 3 times and my blood pressure was checked every hour. Thankfully i survived to tell the tale and hopefully do lots more birdwatching. Thanks again,
All The Best "

Here in Bulgaria we have two species of vipers - Nose-horned Viper Vipera ammodytes and Adder - Vipera berus. We have two subspecies of the Nose-horned Viper. Most probably the byte has been from a Nose-horned Viper, which is more poisoneus. Here is a picture of small Nose-horned Viper that I took this spring.

Attachments

• Nose-horned Viper1.jpg
    Nose-horned Viper1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I visited Bulgaria in sept 94 on a very cheap package holiday, really must pay it a visit again maybe in spring,had some great birds at a great price!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back