• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

Hi John
It is probably easier to walk along the beach from Son Baulo ( end of Can Picaford) to the necropolis( ruins) and then enter Son Real through the gate.
The distance is not far and you have chance of turnstones, audoiuins gulls, thekla larks, as well as balearic warblers on the way

Quite a lot going on today.
Mabel logged the first Common Swift at Porto Colom, a Lesser Spotted Eagle is doing the rounds with a sighting on Menorca and one in Mallorca, maybe two birds but unlikely.
Philip saw the Southern Grey Shrike at Villafranca this afternoon but another one was seen at Salobrar de Campos by Pep. He has a good photo so I hope he shares it here.
A few Yellow wagtails have appeared here and there and some Common cranes have been seen in flight.
I managed to see the Tree Sparrows at Petra thanks to Mike, lovely birds chirping away right by a bar very conveniently.
Wild flowers everywhere including the first few poppies.
It’s good to be alive.
Mike

Hello,
The migration is here! the bests 2 months begin tomorrow, and during 60 days everything will be possible in Majorca.
I love migration.

Today I have had the good luck to find a lovely southern shrike and got some good pictures from the car, just in front of Telephons antens at sa Barrala.
And before, at cap Salines I had a very nice migration scene, when 12 Oyster catchers flew to the north, just going along the east coast.

In addition to these 2 great moments, in the salt pans of Salobrar, I almost got the third, when I saw a Golden Plover alone, when I paid attention i saw the bill was kind of longer and the bird was more delicate, more slim, and had a very remarcable supercilliar, I started to think in a Pacific Golden plover, when suddenly the bird dissapeared...

If you go to the salt pans, road to the beach, pay attention.

Attachments

• 131 BotxiMeridional.jpg
    131 BotxiMeridional.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 136 GarsaMar.jpg
    136 GarsaMar.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 62
A couple of hours spent at a cold and windy Salobrar de Campos this morning.
No luck with either the Shrike or the Plover species but I will have another go Tuesday.
It was, however, so good to see an abundance of bird life there, Marsh harriers everywhere, Red Kite, Booted eagles and a female Merlín hunting over the fields at the back.
100+ Avocets and many small waders, mostly Kentish plovers.
Nice.
Mike

A short visit to Son Real on a Sunny afternoon. The pleasant festival atmosphere with so many Families and Children added to a great day out.
Birds seen at the Hide included: Crossbills, Hawfinch, Blackcaps, Song Thrush, Serins, Greenfinch, Goldfinches, Robins, Firecrest, Black Redstart.
No sign of Siskins reported earlier

Attachments

• F9E52A79-B88E-48D9-8EC2-0BFEEAD9522D.jpeg
    F9E52A79-B88E-48D9-8EC2-0BFEEAD9522D.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 41
  • D1358F99-EF58-4BD2-A9C1-092BAFB45BDA.jpeg
    D1358F99-EF58-4BD2-A9C1-092BAFB45BDA.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 45BAF373-8C91-4223-B761-8DFEF904E0E7.jpeg
    45BAF373-8C91-4223-B761-8DFEF904E0E7.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 43
4. Red eared Sliders seen at the Depuradora. Should they be removed as an invasive species?

I believe they are removed from s'Albufera (you may see cage traps around), where I once found a female laying eggs in a 'nest'. It was destroyed and my view would be to remove them all - but they are difficult to catch [there are two different sub-species at my patch here in London and they've been there for years].

Very strong north-westerly winds tonight but I thought a seawatch may still be worthwhile.
I was wrong there, 5 Scopoli’s and just 2 Balearic shearwaters over a couple of hours at the lighthouse, Porto Petro.
Mike

Some interesting observations for comments:
1. Water level at Cibollar Hides was very low. Good for waders but maybe need for irrigation?
2. Horses were allowed into the area in front of Son Roca hides. Designed to keep the grass low I would imagine, but does this disturb the birds and could impact on nesting?
3. Very few Night herons seen at the previous Roosting spot near the main path. Have they moved on?
4. Red eared Sliders seen at the Depuradora. Should they be removed as an invasive species?

Hi. I try to answer to all this questions:
1. The level of the Cibollar is related to the level of the sea. The sea level has been very low in recent days, but it will surely rise in the following days. At the moment we do not consider irrigating the area.
2. Indeed, we need to graze the area to remove all the vegetation and make it suitable for waders. At the end of March the cattle are removed so that they do not trample on the nests.
3. Not all, but many have already moved to their breeding grounds.
4. Martin has already responded. We capture exotic turtles with traps, but their capture is not easy, there are many and they breed successfully throughout the Reserve.

Best wishes

Good morning!
I attach the bird list of la Gola (please add Goldfinches too ;) )

Some more birds: yesterday still one Red-rumped Swallow seen in Can Guidet (irrigation pond near St Jordi, Palma)by Toni Pons. Also increasing the number of White Storks in Casablanca (also near St Jordi), today Juanjo Bazán have seen 6.

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 100_3666.JPG
    100_3666.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi. I try to answer to all this questions:
1. The level of the Cibollar is related to the level of the sea. The sea level has been very low in recent days, but it will surely rise in the following days. At the moment we do not consider irrigating the area.
2. Indeed, we need to graze the area to remove all the vegetation and make it suitable for waders. At the end of March the cattle are removed so that they do not trample on the nests.
3. Not all, but many have already moved to their breeding grounds.
4. Martin has already responded. We capture exotic turtles with traps, but their capture is not easy, there are many and they breed successfully throughout the Reserve.

Best wishes

Many thanks Maties
All makes sense.
You have a wonderful site there
Regards
Mike

Seawatching is nearly always good after a storm.
Following very high winds yesterday, I headed for my local lighthouse. I had to visit a friend’s apartment on the way but sadly it had sprung a leak. By the time I got that sorted, I had missed the show. Maties, just up the road at Porto Colom logged multiple Great skuas and two Gull-billed terns. Who needs friends eh?
There were higher numbers of Scopoli’s shearwaters which nearly cheered me up and the last stragglers of Balearics heading south.
Other news today is of a Woodchat Shrike photographed in Pollença and the Jack snipe is still at Sant Jordi, near the airport.
Mike

EFF886AD-FEF1-4B34-89C8-670719B3F189.jpeg

72285527-A128-48EF-907F-0E591613974B.jpegArrived back on Sunday for 2 weeks for latest visit. Busy with house business on and off for first couple of days with little time out. This has coincided with windy weather which has worked out fine. Did make a short visit to Albufera to pick up the English translation of Birds if Mallorca book which I highly recommend to you. All the usual birds at main reserve and depuradora and good to see white, grey and yellow wagtails. Went to Son Real yesterday, plenty of action at the drinking pond with serin, blackcap, linnet, crossbill and hawfinch. Had brief views of single Dartford warbler near the beach. Sea quite lively and no signs of any waders on the shoreline

A couple of interesting species at Prat de Sant Jordi last night and this lunchtime. Yesterday evening a Jack Snipe flushed from roadside marshy areas a couple of times, while 3 Yellow Wagtails and 3 Swallows represented the spring migrants, along with a new Little Stint. The Balearic Green Toads were also vocal.

This lunchtime, a Spotted Crake gave a frustratingly brief account of itself in flight, jumping up from a small well vegetated pool and plopping into deep rushy cover. At least 5 iberiae yellow wagtails were present, along with a single Wood Sandpiper keeping the Green Sandpipers company.

View attachment 720246

View attachment 720247Arrived back on Sunday for 2 weeks for latest visit. Busy with house business on and off for first couple of days with little time out. This has coincided with windy weather which has worked out fine. Did make a short visit to Albufera to pick up the English translation of Birds if Mallorca book which I highly recommend to you. All the usual birds at main reserve and depuradora and good to see white, grey and yellow wagtails. Went to Son Real yesterday, plenty of action at the drinking pond with serin, blackcap, linnet, crossbill and hawfinch. Had brief views of single Dartford warbler near the beach. Sea quite lively and no signs of any waders on the shoreline

Hi Dave,
How much is the book please?

Stew

A full day’s birding today starting at Salobrar de Campos. Over 200 Avocets, lots of Red kites squabbling with each other and a few Booted eagles.
Three fine male Marsh harriers, what gorgeous birds they are.
A black-tailed Godwit, 120 Greater Flamingoes, a couple of Curlew and some Little stints.
Later on I did my now daily seawatch.
Clearly, there are now many more Scopoli’s shearwaters around. They were very close in whilst the Balearic shearwaters whizzed past in the background. I spent so much time trying to photograph the Scopoli’s that I lost count but certainly over 100 and several hundred Balearic.
Two Gannet put in an appearance but it’s still quite windy.
Mike

Stew B the book is €25, available at Albufera. I think that Son Real is also going to stock it, it has the original Spanish version so that seems likely
David

Stew B the book is €25, available at Albufera. I think that Son Real is also going to stock it, it has the original Spanish version so that seems likely
David

Thanks Dave,

Maybe it will be available in the UK before we come out for our next visit in June, but if not I’ll have my cash ready!

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back