• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (12 Viewers)

Just a quick post before family commitments mean we have to leave for a while again – I had a quick trip to the Salobrar before breakfast again, all very pleasant but very quiet. The only bird of any interest to me was the wood sandpiper, a year tick for me to nicely round off this visit. And I will also add a few shots from my back yard birding endeavours, I finally saw some birds in the drinking pool I erected back in January. Nor a raging success then but maybe it will do better when it gets hotter and the birds are thirstier! Back in June, best wishes till then, David

IMG_4618.jpgIMG_4620.jpgIMG_4624.jpgIMG_4627.jpgIMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4616.jpg

I have just been sent this photo by a friend of a friend.
The finder likes birds but wasn’t sure about its identity.
He thought it could be a collared flycatcher. I informed him that it certainly is!!
It’s still there now but having seen lots of photos in the British press with hundreds of twitchers invading someone’s garden, they declined to give their address.
I guess I respect their decision but as a keen birder, I would love to go and see this mega rarity.
He has taken over 20 photos, all quite good as it doesn’t seem shy.
He was emptying his septic tank which attracted many flies and mosquitoes, which in turn attracted the flycatcher.
A lovely bird and what a shame we can’t all go and enjoy it.
The biggest twitch here is usually around 6 people so we wouldn’t cause any disturbance.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpeg
    IMG_1658.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 16
I have just been sent this photo by a friend of a friend.
The finder likes birds but wasn’t sure about its identity.
He thought it could be a collared flycatcher. I informed him that it certainly is!!
It’s still there now but having seen lots of photos in the British press with hundreds of twitchers invading someone’s garden, they declined to give their address.
I guess I respect their decision but as a keen birder, I would love to go and see this mega rarity.
He has taken over 20 photos, all quite good as it doesn’t seem shy.
He was emptying his septic tank which attracted many flies and mosquitoes, which in turn attracted the flycatcher.
A lovely bird and what a shame we can’t all go and enjoy it.
The biggest twitch here is usually around 6 people so we wouldn’t cause any disturbance.
Mike
Very nice bird indeed. It's sad that the few spoil it for everyone. I certainly don't 'twitch' as much as I used to and if I do, I'll walk away if the bird is being put under pressure from people. Such a shame as it tars everyone with the same brush.

Jane and I had a walk organised for today at Maria de la Salut and I was delighted when Biel reported at least 5 Montagu’s harriers there last night and Toni reported at least 3 early this morning.
I went hot-foot there but could only find several frisky Marsh harriers putting on a wonderful show. Two Short-toed larks put in an appearance as did a Black kite but best of all, a car stopped nearby containing one Geordie David with Peter in tow.
We shared a short time together enjoying hundreds of Barn swallows flying so low over the cereal crops, but after a while, I could no longer feel my fingers due to the biting wind. David assured me that the climate was positively balmy by Geordie standards but it was cold enough to send me packing.
Two Black terns have just been reported by Max seen at the depuradora, Son Bosc.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN9723.jpeg
    DSCN9723.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN9696.jpeg
    DSCN9696.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Been here since Friday afternoon and the weather hasn't been as we'd hoped for, especially today. We are here for birds and relaxation so we aren't venturing far from Puerto Pollensa.

We had a couple of walks around La Gola which seems extremely quiet. One Nightingale singing at the back near the bridge has been the highlight.

One walk to the Boquer gave us a few more ticks, including a stunning male Redstart and 2 flighty Hoopoe in the park on the approach to the roundabout from the pine walk. Once in the Boquer, we had 1 Blue Rock Thrush across the valley, a couple of Black Vulture (I think?? I'm a bit rusty) and a Common Kestrel. A few smaller birds including Med Flycatcher, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Willow Warbler and Sardinian Warbler. It seems quieter than usual for smaller birds. We normally have Sardinian Warbler in virtually every bush but only had about 3 or 4 on our whole walk!! We also had one Griffon Vulture high over the Harbour on our way back to the Hotel.

Hoping more birds appear before we head home on Friday and that the weather picks up soon.

Rach

I agree rachk116.
I went to see as many rare birds as my circumstances allowed in the late 1970’s. 80’s and 90’s but I did less after that.
I had loads of fun and loved the chase, but as the years went by, I no longer enjoyed it as much.
The last twitches I did were for a Scops owl in Oxfordshire and a Grey-cheeked thrush somewhere near St Albans.
At the owl, people were all running into fields marked “Private, Keep Out” and the crowd pushed and shoved so much that I got pushed into an old well. I went home immediately having had rubbish views of the seriously harassed bird.
At the Thrush there was an argument about late-comers going to the front on arrival..bad form.
I guess that was enough for me.
Still, lots of wonderful memories.
If I lived in the UK I bet I’d still go though..
Mike

I agree rachk116.
I went to see as many rare birds as my circumstances allowed in the late 1970’s. 80’s and 90’s but I did less after that.
I had loads of fun and loved the chase, but as the years went by, I no longer enjoyed it as much.
The last twitches I did were for a Scops owl in Oxfordshire and a Grey-cheeked thrush somewhere near St Albans.
At the owl, people were all running into fields marked “Private, Keep Out” and the crowd pushed and shoved so much that I got pushed into an old well. I went home immediately having had rubbish views of the seriously harassed bird.
At the Thrush there was an argument about late-comers going to the front on arrival..bad form.
I guess that was enough for me.
Still, lots of wonderful memories.
If I lived in the UK I bet I’d still go though..
Mike
Yes, I've had some good fun birds seen. I was lucky enough to grow up in Norfolk during the 80s and 90s so didn't travel too far for a lot of them. I still get tempted by the nearer birds but my days of trekking across the country are over.

Rach

Hi all, arrived on Sunday and here for a week. So far just visited Albufera main reserve due to the weather but have plans to go to the Boquer Valley and Finca Son Real. We are staying in Platja de Muro and I wondered if anyone could tell me the best way to get to the Depuradora on foot? I've seen a few reports mentioning a bus depot but I'm not sure where that is. Thanks

Hi all, arrived on Sunday and here for a week. So far just visited Albufera main reserve due to the weather but have plans to go to the Boquer Valley and Finca Son Real. We are staying in Platja de Muro and I wondered if anyone could tell me the best way to get to the Depuradora on foot? I've seen a few reports mentioning a bus depot but I'm not sure where that is. Thanks
Take the MA-3431 west from northern end of Can Picafort and the bus depot is on the right after a few hundred yards. follow the long straight lane northwest from here to the end. decent birding along the walk and the viewing platform is (or was...) signposted to the left at the end. i think i have that right but sure Mike or others will correct me if not (its been a couple of years since i have been there lol...)

Very nice bird indeed. It's sad that the few spoil it for everyone. I certainly don't 'twitch' as much as I used to and if I do, I'll walk away if the bird is being put under pressure from people. Such a shame as it tars everyone with the same brush.
It’s difficult isn’t it? Perspective depends on whether you’re inside or outside the bubble. For people not involved in twitching the fear of sheer numbers (in the UK) seems to be the main issue. Well, any of us that go to see a bird that someone else has found are contributing to that problem, whether we like it or not. The popularity of twitching is, to some extent, it’s own worst enemy.

If you’re inside the bubble loads, of issues arise, from poor behaviour, putting birds under pressure, to carbon footprint contribution etc.etc.

Like Mike, and I guess you Rach, my rabid twitching days are pretty much over (although again like you I will rush out for a Norfolk tick). Maybe it’s to do with getting older, but I no longer seem to be on the same wavelength as my erstwhile twitching fellows, and I find crowds and the inevitable gripping difficult to cope with.

I have twitched a few birds for my Mallorca list, and it’s a much more relaxed and friendly experience, so it’s a shame that the flycatcher isn’t available (although I guess if it was the UK there would be endless angry posts complaining about suppression).

Stew

It’s difficult isn’t it? Perspective depends on whether you’re inside or outside the bubble. For people not involved in twitching the fear of sheer numbers (in the UK) seems to be the main issue. Well, any of us that go to see a bird that someone else has found are contributing to that problem, whether we like it or not. The popularity of twitching is, to some extent, it’s own worst enemy.

If you’re inside the bubble loads, of issues arise, from poor behaviour, putting birds under pressure, to carbon footprint contribution etc.etc.

Like Mike, and I guess you Rach, my rabid twitching days are pretty much over (although again like you I will rush out for a Norfolk tick). Maybe it’s to do with getting older, but I no longer seem to be on the same wavelength as my erstwhile twitching fellows, and I find crowds and the inevitable gripping difficult to cope with.

I have twitched a few birds for my Mallorca list, and it’s a much more relaxed and friendly experience, so it’s a shame that the flycatcher isn’t available (although I guess if it was the UK there would be endless angry posts complaining about suppression).

Stew
As a (mostly) 'ex' UK twitcher i think the biggest change has been the increase in popularity, fuelled by the ease of getting information via social media etc. This l has changed the dynamic at big crowds, in the 80s and 90s you generally knew most people at a big twitch, at least on nodding terms, and the 'clan' policed itself, more recently there is less of a collective feel to the crowd and people are less out to just 'get the bird'......maybe im just getting grumpy in my 50s lol!.....and i still drop everything for a Yorkshire tick!

Hi guys, new member here. 2nd time visit to the island birding. We are having a great time shame about the weather! Does someone mind helping us ID the following photos I’ve attached please? All seen today between porta Pollença and Alcúdia. Sorry about the poor quality photos! 😃

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpeg
    IMG_0162.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    9.1 MB · Views: 47
Hi guys, new member here. 2nd time visit to the island birding. We are having a great time shame about the weather! Does someone mind helping us ID the following photos I’ve attached please? All seen today between porta Pollença and Alcúdia. Sorry about the poor quality photos! 😃
Hello and welcome! in order, i think you have...but willing to be corrected lol.....
1. Booted Eagle.
2. Marsh Harrier.
3+4 Booted Eagle.
5. 'Iberian' Yellow Wagtail.

As a (mostly) 'ex' UK twitcher i think the biggest change has been the increase in popularity, fuelled by the ease of getting information via social media etc. This l has changed the dynamic at big crowds, in the 80s and 90s you generally knew most people at a big twitch, at least on nodding terms, and the 'clan' policed itself, more recently there is less of a collective feel to the crowd and people are less out to just 'get the bird'......maybe im just getting grumpy in my 50s lol!.....and i still drop everything for a Yorkshire tick!
And don't even mention 'toggers'!

Hello all,
Today I was the lucky one who was able to enter the living room of the house where the Collared flycatcher is and I understand perfectly well that the family that lives there prefers that people cant know where the bird is, since it is observed exactly from the window of the living room of their own house, by the way a beautiful house.
Thanks to Mike M. for making it easy for me to visit the house.
The bird is beautiful, like all Collared flycatchers are and I have been able to take some picture of it always through the window pane.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 123 PapamosquesCollar.jpg
    123 PapamosquesCollar.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Having spent most of the last 2 days avoiding the cold and the rain it was nice to get out yesterday afternoon for a walk in the sunshine at Can Cuarassa. There was a single red footed falcon on the wires and I sad my first Mediterranean flycatcher of the year. The were several kestrels and corn buntings but little else. I couldn’t find any spotless starlings on the usual roof and only saw them once on my visit in March. The Merlin sound ID app repeatedly picked up a singing golden oriole from the gardens just beyond the staling house. Despite looking for half an hour I couldn’t find it and had to content myself that it was a blackbird instead, a bird I’ve already got for the Big Year!. Wednesday looks to have brought more showers but I’m off to Albufera where, at least, there are some hides to shelter in. From my notes from 2023 this week brought some star birds with roller, golden oriole and a few others. Here’s hoping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back