• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi help request (1 Viewer)

heakl

I look with interest at the fungi posts on this forum (thanks to all concerned) and have started to take more interest in the ones I see in my area, could someone please recommend a suitable guide for the absolute beginner.

Found a lovely little group this morning growing inside the bottom of a hollow ash tree, photos attached, the largest one is about three inches across. ID of these would also be appreciated.

Many thanks
Alan

Attachments

• Hollow ash 1_1.jpg
    Hollow ash 1_1.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Hollow ash 2_1.jpg
    Hollow ash 2_1.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 35
Hi Alan,

I like the Collin's Gem book as a field guide (it's by Sterry & Hughes). It's small enough to fit in your pocket and has nice, clear photos.

For something a little more substantial, I don't think you can beat Roger Phillips' book.

Your fungus is a Pholiota. It looks like P.aurivella, but I'm not familiar with this species. I don't suppose you noticed if it had a sticky cap, did you?

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Alan,

I like the Collin's Gem book as a field guide (it's by Sterry & Hughes). It's small enough to fit in your pocket and has nice, clear photos.

For something a little more substantial, I don't think you can beat Roger Phillips' book.

Your fungus is a Pholiota. It looks like P.aurivella, but I'm not familiar with this species. I don't suppose you noticed if it had a sticky cap, did you?

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks Nick,
Did I notice if it had a sticky cap? Certainly not, nothing was further from my mind, first lesson learnt. I've attached another photo that seems to show it likely was but flash photography can be deceptive.

I'll certainly be getting a copy of the Collin's Gem book, thanks again for your help.

Alan

Attachments

• Hollow ash 3.jpg
    Hollow ash 3.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 27
Hi Alan,

It's also useful if you turn one over (so you can photograph the gills). Don't be afraid to give them a sniff too:eek!:

P.aurivella has a viscid cap surface, so I think it's looking good after that last photo.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Alan,

It's also useful if you turn one over (so you can photograph the gills). Don't be afraid to give them a sniff too:eek!:

P.aurivella has a viscid cap surface, so I think it's looking good after that last photo.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks again Nick, Collins Gem ordered and I'll certainly be touching, turning and sniffing.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back