• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

It's a bit worrying that the Redshank find the need to squeeze through the fence. I was hoping they were too big to do so now. It could be lack of enough food or attacks from not only avocet but also moorhens. The adult moorhen from the 'archipelago' area to left of the hide is particularly aggressive to the adult and chicks.
The Hobby was in that same tree on Tuesday eating a sand martin.
Regarding people sticking head and shoulders out of hide. nothing surprises me . I think this more than justifies why downstairs is locked up. Until people realise that they could be affecting the birds it will remain closed.

A moorhen made an extremely vicious attack on the adult redshank on Thursday morning, getting far too close to actually injuring it. It was chased all over the first and second flash at very close range for what seemed like an eternity (probably only 1 1/2 - 2 minutes at most. The chicks disappeared (probably in the long grass near the hide). It was 15 - 20 minutes before they were reunited. The avocet family in the area caused no problems all morning. The attack was unprovoked and the moorhen came from very far to the left of the hide and pounced at a rate of knots.

A moorhen made an extremely vicious attack on the adult redshank on Thursday morning, getting far too close to actually injuring it. It was chased all over the first and second flash at very close range for what seemed like an eternity (probably only 1 1/2 - 2 minutes at most. The chicks disappeared (probably in the long grass near the hide). It was 15 - 20 minutes before they were reunited. The avocet family in the area caused no problems all morning. The attack was unprovoked and the moorhen came from very far to the left of the hide and pounced at a rate of knots.

Saw the same this morning Margaret. That particular moorhen simply does not like the redshank. However just as the attack started the Avocet feeding in that zone jumped on the moorhen. A case of wader camaraderie :t: I think this is one of the reasons why the female redshank is perching on top of the hide to keep an eye on the chicks

Hi John just read your blog from yesterday couldnt stop laughing at the fact you need money for some more players just come up the road we've got plenty and there free Dek.

This morning on Flashes

6am start pretty cool 10 degrees and a moderate SW wind. Wind strengthening and temperature reached 16 degrees.
Sedge warblers were particularly vocal. These birds resume singing at this time of year. Mostly in areas that they were occupying in April. So it could be that they are on 2nd broods or as is the case to the south of the hide 'fresh in'. My main aim was to check out the breeding waders and hope for a bit of early passage, I wasn't disappointed .
I had a hunch about redstarts and there it was a juv in the hedgerow along public footpath. Andy asked me if the Blackwit was still around to which I replied not seen for a week or so. When I got into the hide he had one out front, must literally have dropped in. This flew off later to be replaced by 2 more. . There were plenty of swifts feeding all over the place, joined by many house Martins a single swallow and family parties of sand Martins. My first proper flock of juv starling wheeled over the north field where a couple if skylark sang. An early morning hobby was probably looking for unsuspecting Martins.
Linnets, goldfinch and a male pied wag fed it's juv on the saltmarsh in front of the hide. In the meadow amongst the lapwing flock were oystercatchers, bhgs 2 Blackwits and the curlew flock. The chicks were all well and the 12th brood of Avocet appeared today 4 chicks on the ' pipe island'.
Species count:
Teal 6. shoveler fem +13 chicks . Shelduck 4 + 7 chicks. Mallard approx 200. birds including chicks and large broods of juvs. Tufted brood of 2 by sluice. Avocet 38. + 24 chicks. Redshank fem +3 chicks (15 days old ). Lapwing 80 +. Curlew 14. Blackwit 3. Oystercatcher 3. LRP 4. Med gull x2 2nd summer. Hobby. buzzard 2. sparrowhawk. stock dove 30. Swift 80. sand martin 20. Swallow. Redstart 2 ( male and juv). Starling 120. Sedge warblers 5. goldcrest. pied wag 2. Linnet 8.

Craig reported 3 Med Gulls at the Flashes yesterday evening (the two long-staying second summer birds plus a first summer) together with the two Redstart still.

Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

39 Avocet (+ 25 young; 13th brood with 1 young emerged today), 1 Redshank (+ 3 young), 2 Black-tailed Godwit, 4 LR Plover, 4+ Redstart (male female 2+ juvs), 1 Shelduck (+ 7 young), 1 Shoveler (+ 12 young), 1 Curlew, 17 Common Tern briefly then flew south, 3 Teal.

2 Egyptian Geese still on the Sailing Pool

Last edited:
At the Moors Pool this morning Dave J noted:

8 Common Tern (+ 6 young), 1 Gadwall (+ 2 young), 4 Oystercatcher (2 adults + 2 juveniles), 2 Mute Swan (+ 5 young), 7 broods of Tufted Duck, juvenile Coal Tit, 1 Avocet, 1 Common Sandpiper

Last edited:
some from this morning

a few hours in the sun,nice to see tufted with 15 ducklings and female mallard with 2 tufted ducklings chasing off female tufted.

Attachments

• DSC07915.JPG
    DSC07915.JPG
    495.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC07931.jpg
    DSC07931.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC07953.jpg
    DSC07953.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC08003.JPG
    DSC08003.JPG
    770.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC08105.jpg
    DSC08105.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 82
Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

39 Avocet (+ 25 young; 13th brood with 1 young emerged today), 1 Redshank (+ 3 young), 2 Black-tailed Godwit, 4 LR Plover, 4+ Redstart (male female 2+ juvs), 1 Shelduck (+ 7 young), 1 Shoveler (+ 12 young), 1 Curlew, 17 Common Tern briefly then flew south, 3 Teal.

2 Egyptian Geese still on the Sailing Pool

64 avocets! fantastic and good to see a redshank chick on the list too. As for the redstart, brilliant.

All my best wishes to you all. I am now in Scotland heading for Mull.

BCNU all.

Gary:t:

Carl Ashmore

It was with deep shock and sadness that I learned yesterday of the untimely passing of Carl Ashmore from his wife Jackie. He had recently been admitted to hospital after feeling unwell, and died from heart failure on 21st June.

Carl had been visiting Upton Warren since he was a teenager in the 1970s and, in latter years, was often seen there with wife Jackie on a Sunday afternoon.

Carl was a keen birder/twitcher with a total of 400 plus birds on his British list. He would only count a bird if Jackie had seen it as well. In recent years he became interested in butterflies, and last year he produced a stunning book with pictures he had taken of all the 58 British butterflies he had seen.

His funeral will take place at Rowley Regis crematorium at 10.45 tomorrow morning. All donations will go to the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust.

RIP Carl.

Andy.

It was with deep shock and sadness that I learned yesterday of the untimely passing of Carl Ashmore from his wife Jackie. He had recently been admitted to hospital after feeling unwell, and died from heart failure on 21st June.

Carl had been visiting Upton Warren since he was a teenager in the 1970s and, in latter years, was often seen there with wife Jackie on a Sunday afternoon.

Carl was a keen birder/twitcher with a total of 400 plus birds on his British list. He would only count a bird if Jackie had seen it as well. In recent years he became interested in butterflies, and last year he produced a stunning book with pictures he had taken of all the 58 British butterflies he had seen.

His funeral will take place at Rowley Regis crematorium at 10.45 tomorrow morning. All donations will go to the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust.

RIP Carl.

Andy.

Like to add that I knew Carl early on in my Upton career and always found him a very positive, happy go lucky bloke . It was always a pleasure to see him and I will miss him. I always remember him telling me he would never go digital as he was a professional and ' old school 'photographer . Well a couple of years later he reluctantly went digital. He took advantage of it and produced a great book of all the butterflies of the UK, I am just glad that he managed to achieve his goal before his sad and untimely departure . RIP Carl

Last edited:
One of the joys of this hobby is bumping into familar people at unexpected locations and Carl and Jackie were one such couple. Whether it be photographing Waxwing in Wolverhampton or twitching a rarity at Titchwell, it was always a pleasure to see Carl's beaming moustached face. I spoke to Carl last time I was down at Upton in late May in the Moors car park; with hindsight I wish we had spent longer chatting. RIP Carl.

Terry H just phoned to say the 6 black tailed godwit are still on the Flashes now 1.55pm. there has been 9 species of wader on Flashes this morning. including the 5 Breeding species and green and common sand and 13 curlews

Terry H just phoned to say the 6 black tailed godwit are still on the Flashes now 1.55pm. there has been 9 species of wader on Flashes this morning. including the 5 Breeding species and green and common sand and 13 curlews

5 Black Tailed Godwits dropped in around 9.00am this morning to join 1 already there. Avo's continually harried the 5 newcomers but were relatively tolerant of 1 bird already present.

2 Egyptian Geese on sailing pool are acting more and more like farmyard geese.

2 Marbled White butterflies, 1 near sailing centre and 1 along Salwarpe path.

Firs 2 White Letter Hairstreaks on the normal Alder Buckthorn bushes.

Attachments

• 7D2_014483.jpg
    7D2_014483.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 76
  • 7D2_014484.jpg
    7D2_014484.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 7D2_014487.jpg
    7D2_014487.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 7D2_014474.jpg
    7D2_014474.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 79
Like to add that I knew Carl early on in my Upton career and always found him a very positive, happy go lucky bloke . It was always a pleasure to see him and I will miss him. I always remember him telling me he would never go digital as he was a professional and ' old school 'photographer . Well a couple of years later he reluctantly went digital. He took advantage of it and produced a great book of all the butterflies of the UK, I am just glad that he managed to achieve his goal before his sad and untimely departure . RIP Carl

i met carl a number of times great bloke always a good chap to bump into, will always think of him when i look at the butterfly book he sent me he will be very sadly missed. regards to jackie our thoughts are with you. R.I.P carl.

18.30 to 20.30 tonight Avocets,Lapwings, 4 LRP, 10 Curlew, 5 Blackwits, 5 Oystercasters, Redshank (only 2 chicks seen at one time long grass didn't help)
Common and Green Sand. Kesteral and Buzzard. Mallards, Gadwell, Teal, Shelduck. 2 Med Gulls,LBBGs BHGs

Last edited:
photos from tonight in final photo Buzzard, optical illusion to the right looks like a Barn owl in a hole in tree

Attachments

• IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    612 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3525.JPG
    IMG_3525.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG