• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (113 Viewers)

From Sunday pm, Flashes:

1. Egyptian Goose - keeping company with the domestic geese on SP. The other bird was on the sewage meadow.
2 & 3. Brief glimpses of the Med Gulls - mostly hidden by tall foliage all pm.
4. Mallard jumping for grass seeds.

Attachments

• IMG_5814a.jpg
    IMG_5814a.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5840a.jpg
    IMG_5840a.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5841b.jpg
    IMG_5841b.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5970a.jpg
    IMG_5970a.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 80
Birding Flashes

From 4pm -9pm. Heavy showers water level still at 0.48.
Breeding birds
Redshank all 3 chicks doing well. Lapwing 9 juvs. Avocet 20. chicks (10 broods ). Oystercatcher juv. LRP sitting. BHG at least 600 chicks /juvs. Shoveler 13 chicks. Shelduck 7 chicks. mallard 20. broods (2 new ones today ). Coot 5 broods. canadas 2 broods. water rail 1 brood.

Vis Mig
Sand martin 60. Swallow 5. Swift c20. Common tern 5.

Species count
Little grebe on 1st flash none breeding plumage adult.
Teal 6. Gadwall 2. tufted. Avocet 35. LRP 4. lapwing 108. Curlew 10. Med Gull 3. Herring gull. Hobby. peregrine. Green woodpecker. kingfisher. song thrush 4.

Last edited:
KIDS!
Sunday contd.

1 & 2. Redshanks taking cover from annoying gulls
3. Avocets in the rain
4. BHG's new toy

Attachments

• IMG_5868a.jpg
    IMG_5868a.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5877a.jpg
    IMG_5877a.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5985a.jpg
    IMG_5985a.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6000a.jpg
    IMG_6000a.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 120
From 4pm -9pm. Heavy showers water level still at 0.48.
Breeding birds
Redshank all 3 chicks doing well. Lapwing 9 juvs. Avocet 20. chicks (10 broods ). Oystercatcher juv. LRP sitting. BHG at least 600 chicks /juvs. Shoveler 13 chicks. Shelduck 7 chicks. mallard 20. broods (2 new ones today ). Coot 5 broods. canadas 2 broods. water rail 1 brood.

Vis Mig
Sand martin 60. Swallow 5. Swift c20. Common tern 5.

Species count
Teal 6. Gadwall 2. tufted. Avocet 35. LRP 4. lapwing 108. Curlew 10. Med Gull 3. Herring gull. Hobby. peregrine. Green woodpecker. kingfisher. song thrush 4.

Whereabouts was the Water Rail brood and how many chicks John?

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Med Gull (ad)+ 2x2s+ Med Gull/B H Gull hybrid.
LRP (4) inc sitting bird------------Redshank (1) + 3 chicks. An adult often used the hide roof as a vantage point.
Curlew (5)-------------------------Lapwing (68)
Oystercatcher (3) inc juv---------Teal (5)
Avocet (40) + 20 young-----------Gadwall (3)
Shoveler (f) +13 young------------Shelduck (3) +7 young
Hobby------------------------------Raven

MOORS:
Common Sand----------------------Common Tern (4) + 6 young
Oystercatcher (2)------------------ Little Grebe (3)
G C Grebe (2)-----------------------Mute Swan (2) + 5 young
Herring Gull (ad)--------------------Greylag Goose (1)
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL*/HEN POOL#
Egyptian Goose (2)*--------------Cetti's Warbler#

Des.

All usual birds + chicks present and correct, family of four oystercatchers flying around sailing pool,flashes water level 1 inch below the 5

Last edited:
A late visit to the flashes today 1430-1900

Sailing Pool

Common Tern (2)
Egyptian Goose (2)
Great Crested Grebe (2)

More or less usual stuff at flashes...
Oystercatcher (5)
Avocet (35)
Lapwing (60)
Raven(4)
Redshank (1 Adult, 3 chicks)
...These are becoming a bit more difficult to track down now. Apparently they had been over to the transmitter field again today. Took me more than an hour to see all 3, but they are developing well

Hobby (1)...new for PWC

...on a more serious note...there were several persons who were blatently disregarding the welfare of the birds by poking long lenses right out of the hide and at one point leaning camera, head and shoulders out the hide to get photos of the redshank chicks. When I pointed this out and asked them not to do it it fell on deaf ears...one guy even told me basically to mind my own business!!!...:C...i didn't push it!

Anyway here is a very, very long distance shot of the hobby...

Attachments

• tmp_441-0Z6A0348-01-1447436916.jpeg
    tmp_441-0Z6A0348-01-1447436916.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 149
A late visit to the flashes today 1430-1900

Sailing Pool

Common Tern (2)
Egyptian Goose (2)
Great Crested Grebe (2)

More or less usual stuff at flashes...
Oystercatcher (5)
Avocet (35)
Lapwing (60)
Raven(4)
Redshank (1 Adult, 3 chicks)
...These are becoming a bit more difficult to track down now. Apparently they had been over to the transmitter field again today. Took me more than an hour to see all 3, but they are developing well

Hobby (1)...new for PWC

...on a more serious note...there were several persons who were blatently disregarding the welfare of the birds by poking long lenses right out of the hide and at one point leaning camera, head and shoulders out the hide to get photos of the redshank chicks. When I pointed this out and asked them not to do it it fell on deaf ears...one guy even told me basically to mind my own business!!!...:C...i didn't push it!

Anyway here is a very, very long distance shot of the hobby...
It's a bit worrying that the Redshank find the need to squeeze through the fence. I was hoping they were too big to do so now. It could be lack of enough food or attacks from not only avocet but also moorhens. The adult moorhen from the 'archipelago' area to left of the hide is particularly aggressive to the adult and chicks.
The Hobby was in that same tree on Tuesday eating a sand martin.
Regarding people sticking head and shoulders out of hide. nothing surprises me . I think this more than justifies why downstairs is locked up. Until people realise that they could be affecting the birds it will remain closed.

1. A Med Gull at the Flashes today.
2. Broken bird's leg found on handrail of bridge to Hen Brook hide - small amount of black down-like material on woodwork also. About 2" overall. Very slender digits and dainty claws.

Attachments

• IMG_6385a.jpg
    IMG_6385a.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6398a.jpg
    IMG_6398a.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 113
1. A Med Gull at the Flashes today.
2. Broken bird's leg found on handrail of bridge to Hen Brook hide - small amount of black down-like material on woodwork also. About 2" overall. Very slender digits and dainty claws.

Looking at it I would say Moorhen but presumably size wise it's too small?

just some pics from tonight. nothing to add on birding front,Avocet protecting its territory from just about anything not just the Redshank ,even pick on 4 very young ducklings, mother mallard had a limp.Large buzzard in oak tree.
If a bird nest close to the hide again maybe the windows could be cleaned and then screwed shut I know this may upset some people but it the birds welfare that should come first.
6 curlew flew in (10 reported in book)
4th photo can you spot the redshank flying up to the top of the hide?
last photo Pied wag(tail?)

Attachments

• IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    576.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3488 (2).JPG
    IMG_3488 (2).JPG
    408 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3490 (2).JPG
    IMG_3490 (2).JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 95
A pleasant DRY day visit (10.30 - 2.45)
Much as above, however the Redshank chicks were in front of the Hide whilst we were there,but the parent flew over the Hide to the transmitter field on a couple of occasions.

During the LRP change over of incubating you could see at least 3 eggs.

7 species of butterflies seen, Scarlet Tigers (4), A Brown Hawker & many Black Tailed Skimmers

A few photos:-
1. A very vocal Chiffchaff
2. Scarlet Tiger
3. Black Tailed Skimmer (M)
4. B T S (female)
5. Baby Tufted ducks following the wrong mum, who didn`t seem to mind!

P.S. Somebody has left their `Life List` (RSPB booklet) in the West Hide

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF3696.JPG
    New_1_DSCF3696.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 64
  • New_1_DSCF3690.JPG
    New_1_DSCF3690.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF3684.jpg
    DSCF3684.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3693.JPG
    DSCF3693.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF3697.JPG
    DSCF3697.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 74
It's a bit worrying that the Redshank find the need to squeeze through the fence. I was hoping they were too big to do so now. It could be lack of enough food or attacks from not only avocet but also moorhens. The adult moorhen from the 'archipelago' area to left of the hide is particularly aggressive to the adult and chicks.
The Hobby was in that same tree on Tuesday eating a sand martin.
Regarding people sticking head and shoulders out of hide. nothing surprises me . I think this more than justifies why downstairs is locked up. Until people realise that they could be affecting the birds it will remain closed.

The Hobby was in the same tree on Wednesday as well.

Des.

June closed on a rather pathetic 85 species, the same as January!

Potential additions in July include Yellow-legged Gull, Common Scoter, Whinchat, Little Owl, Red-legged Partridge and Spotted Redshank

Bird Welfare

I wholeheartedly agree with Birder Gladys [yesterday 11.15]that bird welfare should override ALL other considerations. However, the suggestion that the windows of the hide should be screwed shut in the event of another bird nesting in close proximity seems somewhat draconian. Not for the first time measures are being proposed that would undoubtedly solve the documented problems, but penalise the vast majority of responsible photographers as a result of the selfish and irresponsible actions of the few. The real solution to this problem lies in the hands of the vast majority of responsible UW regulars [birders and photographers] who perhaps should be more prepared to challenge irresponsible behaviour in real time. Regulars who are prepared to do this should be supported by others present at the time it occurs. A sense of proportion is also necessary. Despite the photographic interest in the Redshank nest and chicks and the undoubted bad behaviour of the few [not to mention the weather and the constant threat of predation] the chicks appear to be thriving - touch wood.
Please do not take this post as being intended to be provocative, rather a plea for a more surgical solution to boorish behaviour.

I wholeheartedly agree with Birder Gladys [yesterday 11.15]that bird welfare should override ALL other considerations. However, the suggestion that the windows of the hide should be screwed shut in the event of another bird nesting in close proximity seems somewhat draconian. Not for the first time measures are being proposed that would undoubtedly solve the documented problems, but penalise the vast majority of responsible photographers as a result of the selfish and irresponsible actions of the few. The real solution to this problem lies in the hands of the vast majority of responsible UW regulars [birders and photographers] who perhaps should be more prepared to challenge irresponsible behaviour in real time. Regulars who are prepared to do this should be supported by others present at the time it occurs. A sense of proportion is also necessary. Despite the photographic interest in the Redshank nest and chicks and the undoubted bad behaviour of the few [not to mention the weather and the constant threat of predation] the chicks appear to be thriving - touch wood.
Please do not take this post as being intended to be provocative, rather a plea for a more surgical solution to boorish behaviour.

Thanks Kim for those comments. I get the impression that people think only wardens have the right to put people straight. But there are so few of us that it would be impossible to have a presence all the time. I know there are several people (You included Kim) who have intervened in some situations that have occurred on the reserve and as members we all have a stake in the reserve and the welfare and protection of its wildlife.
I wouldn't advocate getting involved in anything that you can't handle but to stand by and see harm to wildlife then it doesn't hurt to intervene if you are able to do so.
If the hide was on fire would people walk away and leave it to a warden, no, you would ring the fire brigade.
As I have stated before a lot of poor behaviour is through lack of field craft. It comes with experience but also it is logical that if you stick your head out of the window the birds will be 'offski' .
There are undoubtedly selfish people in all walks of life, but on the whole birders and bird photographers are good people. Let's just share and enjoy the experience that Upton offers all of us. It is a great place and for a small site offers much more than many larger areas do.
I just hope that this isn't going to be a case of the 'golden goose'. If our volunteers get peed off and walk away there won't be the spectacle that we have at present. So all I can say, is just a friendly word to people if they don't quite understand, is all that's needed. Failing that have a whip round and pay me to be there all the time....my Mrs wouldn't mind8-P

Last edited:
If after a quiet word doesn't do the trick with these selfish idiots then why not take a photo of them without them knowing and post it on here then even ban them from the site and make other sites aware of what they have been up to.

just some pics from tonight. nothing to add on birding front,Avocet protecting its territory from just about anything not just the Redshank ,even pick on 4 very young ducklings, mother mallard had a limp.Large buzzard in oak tree.
If a bird nest close to the hide again maybe the windows could be cleaned and then screwed shut I know this may upset some people but it the birds welfare that should come first.
6 curlew flew in (10 reported in book)
4th photo can you spot the redshank flying up to the top of the hide?
last photo Pied wag(tail?)

Not my entry in the book but there were 9+1 curlew (visible on and off) on the sewage meadow most of the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back