• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In and around South Staffordshire. (1 Viewer)

:eek!:That's why I texted you John, I thought you might still be on site. The birds flew probably over your house, that's the direction they were going in. Although if it makes you feel better regarding your garden tick, I think they may have just missed yours and done your neighbour's. o:)

I also saw another bird later over Whites Wood. What's going on, a lapwing explosion?

An early morning start today and I headed for the Spring Pool in particular. With all the others frozen solid it's the only one that has had any open water on it for a week or so. My thoughts are with birds in flight seeing open water, with everywhere else(not just Baggeridge) being iced over they will drop down.

So with 3 teal (1 male and 2 females) and a female wigeon on there at 9.40am, isn't it good when your plans come together?

Little grebe on the Spring Pool, very active and diving.

Two tawny owls roosting in Whites wood - the usual bird and one stillin the holly. So they are two birds not the same as I previously thought.

Flock of fieldfare c6 and a treecreeper together with the teal and wigeon take my Baggeridge total to 47 so I am well pleased with the start so far. My overall total is just 48 though, the difference is a lesser spotted woodpecker seen along the Staffs/Worcs canal.

nash nash ... I didn't know about the duckies till I was leaving today...So you know where I shall be after the school drop tomorrow but did ok anyway. 16 types including Coal Tits, Bullfinch and a Kestral. Lovely flock of Red Wings, right hand side of the drive near to the Cafe, must have 20/25. I couldn't see anything else with them.

Brings me to 28 at Baggeridge.

Managed to catch up on a few water birds today after receiving 2 texts from Sedgley telling me what was about (greatly appreciated) my only regret was that I could not spend much time there today .The Wigeon and Teal were good birds for Baggeridge and things have really started well for him.Hopefully by the end of the year he will have seen his 100th Baggeridge bird. 31 for Baggeridge.

Last edited:
My 2009 list is at 55 at the moment, but I did start the year in Pembrokeshire so I have got a few local specialities in there.

But my list for Baggeridge / Himley combined is a pathetic 17!

This morning I saw Lesser Redpoll, Siskin and GSW in the Baggeridge woods. Wish I'd made it to the Spring Pool!

Nipped out on bike this afternoon and added Grey Heron flying over near the Barley Mow pub.

*Pied Wagtail while taliking to Sally

Whoohooo
Well John helped out with the *Widgeon today and now I can tell her from the MallardsThanks John. Other high lights were, a Jay also spotted by John, Little Grebe, 3 Nuthatches in a group, some of the most handsome Great Tits I have ever seen, Coal Tit,*Tree Creeper Kestrel several sightings. *Grey Wagtail by the clearing and I nearly forgot three
Bullfinch by Bag Pool bat boxes. So with all the regulars today at Baggers I got 23 four new ones this year*bringing my baggeridge total to 32

But I haven't finished ...I went to Dudley after via Dudley Arms route and a Gold Crest flew in frint of me and into the hedgeing while I was waiting in the traffic.

If you would like more details on my walk, with pics go to my blog... :t:

Had a busy day today and only managed a turn around Himley Pool, it was nice.

I could hear Sedgley's voice from yesterday saying always look through a flock as there could be others birds that what you are seeing so when watching the Black Headed Gulls had a good looksee...and spotted two
Lesser Black Backed Gulls. and in amongst the Canada Geese was that oddity white goose.
Other nice spots were a pair of Common Buzzards circling, Two
Song Thrush same place as last time, Green Woodpecker flying from the hall across the carpark and a Nuthatch by my Bongo. I had 17 sighting all together.

This morning on bike I saw 3 Red-legged Partridge near Seisdon, Lapwing, Grey Heron, also good numbers of Fieldfare & Redwing in fields. Male Sparrowhawk hunting low over fields, 6 Buzzard and a male Kestrel.
Dusk at Himley a Kingfisher flew low over the frozen lake and Song Thrush in woods by house.

A couple of ours at a freezing cold Chasewater this morning. Added 8 new birds to take my yearly total to 62.

Highlight was a female merlin seen in flight at 10.50am. It flew from woodland by the railway station and headed for the south shore. Great view, it flew more or less overhead.

Other birds included wigeon, pochard, goldeneye, goosander and great black-backed gull.

Our Saturday drive to Bridgnorth; Two fresh one for the year bringing me to 45.
They were Grey Lag Geese and Manderine at Bridgnorth. Other little gem at Bridgo was a Grey Wagtail by the bridge. Had 17 sightings today including Red Wings in a tree opposite Holbeach House, and that greatCommon Buzzard was at the roadside on the HighGate Common again. I might get over there tomorrow afternoon see if he is going to be nice and let me take his picture.

Highgate it was and no Buzzard ... who told him I wanted his picture.

It was very quite and I was toying with the idea of wandering of some where else when I spotted a Kestral and then a second, they were really bright... One stayed close by for quite a while, watched him drop for prey a couple of times before he was successful, the he was perched in a tree then flying right overhead wonderful to watch him. I had 15 sightings today and didn't see birds I normally see here. Saw Great, Long Tailed. Blue and Coal TitsSingle Dunnock, Jackdaws, Crows, Magpies, Robins, Black Birds,.

Fieldfares x22 with 2 Red Wing and a single Mistle ThrushWood Pigeons.

Year count 46.

Baggeridge Country Park total up to 48 with a male pheasant in field next to Island Pool. Yearly total - 63 but still lots of fairly common birds to see yet.

Quick walk Baggeridge, Miners Path down to Spring Pool and Island Pool back taking in Lower Wishing Pool before back to the Straits.

18 sightings all the regular wee fellas and very friendly they were to. Two new ones for me this year *Kingfisher on Lower Wishing Pool and a *Herring Gull on Island Pool stood ages making sure it was a herring gull ... not very good at ID of gulls. one sighting of two Treecreepers between Spring and Island .. they were so fast and running round the trunks.

Baggeridge count now 34

Short visit for me today through Whites Wood down to the Island Pool and back again.

A holly tree in Whites Wood had 2 roosting tawny owls. Field beyond Island Pool had 6 feeding stock doves on it. Little grebe on Spring Pool. Female great spotted woodpecker on tree. Several black headed gulls around but no other gull species apart from a distant 2nd or 3rd winter plumage bird so no chance with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back