• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide for whole indonesia (2 Viewers)

Firstly, thanks for the kind comments, everyone, for the constructive comments. As there are a few unanswered questions, I will try to answer them in this post:

English names: As Alan points out, we have changed some of these (most notably in Muscicapidae) to reflect new taxonomic arrangements. Fortunately, in the last ~5 years we have been blessed with numerous studies using the latest genetic insights to a number of genera relationships. In many cases it’s not the scientific name that requires a change, but the English name to reflect this. For example, ‘Eye-browed Jungle-flycatcher’ is not even closely related to Cyornis (blue/jungle-flycatcher), Rhinomyias (no longer valid, previously jungle-flycatchers) or Eumyias (‘Verditer’s’, renamed Warbling-flycatcher to reflect their song with connects them all). Carrying on calling birds that a re more closely related to robins than flycatchers is just wrong, so might seem difficult for those of us familiar with them over a number of years, but is more confusing to newbie birders, especially local, non-native English speakers.
Same goes for Shrike-vireo/babbler. They have absolutely no relation to babblers, and are nestled right within Vireonidae (and we know flycatcher-shrike is not a shrike!).
Many names have changed to aid native and non-native English speakers, which might receive criticism in the short-term, but hopefully will be accepted by everyone, eventually!
The introduction goes more in-depth regarding this.

Text: I hadn’t realised this, fortunately my eyes are still young! Design/layout etc is usually down to the publisher, as they have their professional design team working on these aspects of books, so the authors can largely concentrate on the text (and maps).

Illustrations: I think there are over 350 new illustrations, along with a lot of minor adjustments. Every field guide (except Collin’s European guide?) always has a few dodgy ones for us to talk about!

Map with illustrations: Two points: Next to illustrations allows for quick reference and for more in-depth text. Also, notice the shape of the region - it’s a horizontal rectangle, from a designers perspective, try fitting that on the page with the text, it’s really messy and difficult - we did, and it’s not really feasible unless you limit the book to less species per page, and as the Field Guide is just that, we thought this was the best solution - as with all these things, it works for some, but not for all, keeping everyone happy with the layout is definitely an impossible task!

Map boxes: This is to ‘tick’ the species, whether it be as a lifer, or individual trips to the region.

Borneo: Excluding it would of made no sense, biographically, and we felt that there is a lot still to discuss about the endemics of the island (there is a revision of several endemic taxa from the island, including undescribed species that we recently discovered that are not covered in other field guides). Likewise, including Papua would have added hundreds of extra species already well covered in other field guides.

Garrulax rufifrons: well spotted Melanie, unfortunately it is an error that we noticed too late for change.

Sahul Pitta: They’ll have to evolve pretty quick for a split in v2, Alan!

Splitting the Field Guide into smaller regions: You never know what the future brings!

James

Splitting the Field Guide into smaller regions: You never know what the future brings!

James

Good response James,
I'm sure the Sulawesi region at least, would sell well as a stand alone volume?

Perhaps even a Bali guide for the many less intrepid birders who have a family tagging along?

What's this about your young eyes! Laser only lasts 10 years, you must be due again soon........:-O

A

Thanks to James for quick response to all our 'first thoughts'. I hope you got the very positive impression about the book from everyone who has had a say - I don't think anyone's wishing it didn't exist, that's for sure!!

Having had a bit more time yesterday and today to enjoy the book more: there are still maybe a few plates I'd wish had slightly bigger illustrations but, once adjusted to the luxury of having the species properly separated and not too crowded together, I think the majority support ease of use. Agree with Alan regards the (still bluish) seabirds and wish I could magic away the grebes feet though!

Maps: take the point regards shape and design. More generally I wish Lynx would update all the HBW range maps or at least have it high up the to do list.

Still thoroughly pleased it's arrived and can't recommend it enough to folk looking for suitable stocking fillers in the coming weeks.

Cheers, Mark

More generally I wish Lynx would update all the HBW range maps or at least have it high up the to do list.

Two folks at Lynx are more or less permanently engaged with mapping and distribution issues, but all of their updates to passerines will not go live until the appearance of the relevant volume of the Checklist. So you do not have long to wait.

However, if you have amendments to suggest with respect to non-passerines then all you need to do is leave a comment on the relevant species pages.

Two folks at Lynx are more or less permanently engaged with mapping and distribution issues, but all of their updates to passerines will not go live until the appearance of the relevant volume of the Checklist. So you do not have long to wait.

However, if you have amendments to suggest with respect to non-passerines then all you need to do is leave a comment on the relevant species pages.

Guy - if Josep has got some annual budget spare, can you plead with him to get those smaller tubenoses repainted? I'll have a go my self for a fee - if you pay extra, I'll hold the paintbrush in my hand as well.

cheers, alan
HBWAlive subscriber

Jaçanã?

Wonder why the Jacanas got a probably Spanish name in this English language book: Jaçanã! Or is it Portuguese/Brazilian?

I think it might be of advantage to publish an Indonesian translation (similar to MacKinnon's field guide in the 1990s.) Many Indonesians seems to be not aware on their bird richness (see also the horrible bird markets on Java and Sumatra or James Eaton's studies entitled In the Market for Extinction) and maybe this book might help to create a better awareness on nature conservation.

I think it might be of advantage to publish an Indonesian translation (similar to MacKinnon's field guide in the 1990s.) Many Indonesians seems to be not aware on their bird richness (see also the horrible bird markets on Java and Sumatra or James Eaton's studies entitled In the Market for Extinction) and maybe this book might help to create a better awareness on nature conservation.

I just don't think it would be economically viable, there are so few Indonesian birders and it's not cheap relative to the standard of living of many Indonesians.

A

Last edited:
I just don't think it would be ecomomically viable, there are so few Indonesian birders and it's not cheap relative to the standard of living of many Indonesians.

A

That could be a thing that a foreign aid organization might be talked into doing?

Niels

People who sell and buy cage birds must be made aware that they drove the birds to extinction when they don't stop this practise.

It's not so simple in Indonesia, there are massive land clearances too for Palm oil plantations and agriculture, pressure on birds from every direction.

A

It's been in the pipeline for some time: http://burung-nusantara.org/news/burung-burung-kepulauan-indonesia-coming-soon/

Uniquely, this will involve it being translated by keen, enthusiastic bi-lingual Indonesians to reduce costs and create enthusiasm and awareness. It has been an amazing success, and it will be out sometime around the turn of the year, all being well.

Awareness is all well and good, and hopefully make a difference to the younger generation, but it's a daunting task with a lot of complex, cultural and financial issues and layers involved.

James

It's been in the pipeline for some time: http://burung-nusantara.org/news/burung-burung-kepulauan-indonesia-coming-soon/

Uniquely, this will involve it being translated by keen, enthusiastic bi-lingual Indonesians to reduce costs and create enthusiasm and awareness. It has been an amazing success, and it will be out sometime around the turn of the year, all being well.

Awareness is all well and good, and hopefully make a difference to the younger generation, but it's a daunting task with a lot of complex, cultural and financial issues and layers involved.

James

James

Brilliant news - well done to the team.

Cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back