• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide for whole indonesia (1 Viewer)

It's been in the pipeline for some time: http://burung-nusantara.org/news/burung-burung-kepulauan-indonesia-coming-soon/

Uniquely, this will involve it being translated by keen, enthusiastic bi-lingual Indonesians to reduce costs and create enthusiasm and awareness. It has been an amazing success, and it will be out sometime around the turn of the year, all being well.

Awareness is all well and good, and hopefully make a difference to the younger generation, but it's a daunting task with a lot of complex, cultural and financial issues and layers involved.

James

What will be the marketing /distribution strategy James?

It's a noble project but not many locals will buy a book like this in the first instance and they certainly won't spend £30-40, Giving the odd copy to schools, I suppose you'll be doing that?

A

What will be the marketing /distribution strategy James?

It's a noble project but not many locals will buy a book like this in the first instance and they certainly won't spend £30-40, Giving the odd copy to schools, I suppose you'll be doing that?

A

It wouldn't be anywhere near the cost as we would plan to have sponsorship so expect around half of that cost (or less, if a donor was generous enough). We would plan to giveaway a very large number to schools, villages, local governors etc - as many as sponsorship allow. If individuals wanted to sponsor any Indonesians they have come across and want to donate a book to, then that would also be feasible.
Basically, just make it as accessible as possible, to as many Indonesians as possible.

James

It wouldn't be anywhere near the cost as we would plan to have sponsorship so expect around half of that cost (or less, if a donor was generous enough). We would plan to giveaway a very large number to schools, villages, local governors etc - as many as sponsorship allow. If individuals wanted to sponsor any Indonesians they have come across and want to donate a book to, then that would also be feasible.
Basically, just make it as accessible as possible, to as many Indonesians as possible.

James

That sounds good James. Will you also be considering developing an app for the field guide? That would also be a good way of distributing the guide widely and relatively cheaply.

I am considering purchasing this book... Is there a review on BF?

No real reviews, but some impressions. Mine are in post #55. And several others posted from there on. There is a link to a review in post #87. (Edit: That's the one you already found.) I also suggest reading the reviews/sample pages found at NHBS, and customer reviews at Amazon.com and Amazon.uk

I'm sure there will be only one conclusion after having gone through all the above: "I MUST GET THIS BOOK IMMEDIATELY" :)

Last edited:
I am considering purchasing this book... Is there a review on BF?

There is now: ;)

Review of 'Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago'.
A book ruined by its layout

This book will be likely popular, because it fills a hole on the market – there is currently no field guide to birds of Sulawesi and Wallacean region. The only other book is out of print, with used copies fetching extremely high prices on Amazon. This is also in general rather solid book. The text is adequate if short. Illustrations are accurate, mostly lifted from 'Handbook of the Birds of The World'. Unfortunately, the layout of the book makes it a nightmare to use. It fells like a 16 volume mammoth HBW had non-Indonesian birds removed, was reprinted in too small size and pretends to be a field guide.

Unnecessarily, the book has hard cover. This adds to its weight as a field guide. At the same time, it is obviously much too short to fill the role of a serious bird monograph, and illustrations are too small for a coffee-table book. Maybe the book tried to fill three niches at once but failed all three.

The illustrations are technically high quality, but are printed too small. Images useful for identification, like birds in flight or immature birds are usually missing. Print size is small and typeface is difficult to read. Maps are unnecessarily printed next to bird pictures and clutter plates. The maps also lack clarity, being too small. Distribution on small islands is usually invisible. It is also doubtful if maps are really necessary, see below.

The biggest chaos is caused by authors' decision to rigidly use the DNA-based phylogenetic system. One might accept its scientific validity, even if placement of many species is obviously provisional. One might even accept their arbitrary decision to lift multiple subspecies to new species, which ballooned the number of bird species by several hundreds. Unfortunately, even then, the system is yet unknown among birders and throws lookalike birds far away from each other. Worse, the authors use lots of new taxonomic names, but generally omit the previous ones. This might be an attempt to increase prominence of the new classification, but makes field use a nightmare. One must constantly go to the species index and back, when faced with a flighty bird in the forest. Some very interesting birds disappeared from the names index, too. For example, a birder visiting Sulawesi would not find Great Shortwing anywhere. Instead, in some place in the book popped up a bird with previously unknown name Heinrichia. The only indication it is the species known as Great Shortwing in most books and trip reports is a remark in the text. The user has, however, no way of finding The Great Shortwing = Heinrichia other than checking all pages one after another.

The book lists masses of related birds with distinct distribution together. So an user is faced with 6 hawk-eagles, 17 myzomelas or 26 white-eyes. They are not confusable in the field at all, because only one or two forms occur on any single island. The rational approach would be to group e.g. hawk-eagles with other raptors living on the same islands.

In sum, the book should have simply adopted the layout of modern field guides to islands, like 'The birds of Melanesia' or 'The birds of Madagascar and Indian Ocean Islands'. These books first list birds widespread in the whole area, e.g. seabirds and waterbirds, together with maps. Afterwards, landbirds and songbirds are grouped by groups of islands. This would allow much more efficent field use. The images should be 30-50% larger, and maps should be near species texts or at the bottom of the page. For many species, maps are superfluous overall. There is no detailed knowledge of distribution for many birds of Indonesia, and maps simply color whole islands, or altitudional range of an island.

What is painful is that this book has such a solid text and very good illustrations, but the wrong layout ruined it. One might dream it will be republished with a better layout. Even better would be a smartphone app, which would allow efficient shrinking the number of confusion species to one island or part of the island. Additionally, such app might reach far more Indonesians for conservation/education purposes than the expensive hardcover book.

Last edited:
There is now: ;)

but makes field use a nightmare. One must constantly go to the species index and back, when faced with a flighty bird in the forest..

I disagree with almost your whole review but don't have time for a full reply. but I'll pick you up on this one:

If you are trying to identify a bird in the forest, what are you doing looking at the INDEX?! Why not have a look at the bird, then look at the plates, see which one it looked like, quickly check that it occurs on your island, then re-check text and plate as required. How does the index come into it?

Your whole review seems to be based on the premise of no working knowledge of birds, no knowledge of bird families or the birds likely to occur in a given location. :smoke:

cheers, alan

Like Alan, I disagree with almost all of Jurek's criticisms.

1. Size and weight - it's not a pocket guide, for sure, but it isn't easy to cover >1,400 species in something you can shove in a coat pocket. Personally speaking, I rarely bring a field guide into the field anyway, and it is certainly sufficiently portable to go into a day pack.

2. I have no issues with the novel taxonomy, and I think it's unfair to suggest that it is based mostly on genetics. My experience is that most of the Wallacean splits I have seen in the field are pretty solid, especially vocally.

3. I'm not a fan of new names for the sake of it either, and can't see myself using e.g. Heinrichia in conversation, but I accept there are cogent reasons for new names. The next generation of birders will probably look upon "Great Shortwing" with the same disdain as we do "Hedge Sparrow".

I can't, however, agree that the previous names are omitted - the text pretty much invariably refers to the taxonomy and previous names / super-species. I do, however, agree that the index might have included previous names, but I guess that would be no trivial task.

4. Using appearance to order illustrations a field guide rather than taxonomy isn't a terrible idea, but the problem is who decides what looks most similar? Would you put pigeons next to Accipiters, apart from Nicobar Pigeon and the Gallicolumbas which would go next to Crested Partridge...? My preference is to stop the clock with Voous and keep the sequence I grew up with ;)

I think it's also a bit disingenuous to imply that you might have to wade through 26 White-eyes to work out which you are looking at, since the maps are right next to the illustrations. You would have to be pretty dim to think you might be looking at a Javan White-eye if you were on Seram! As Alan rightly points implies, few birders will visit the region without having any clue about the avifauna, and those who do will probably have a tour leader to tell them what to tick!

5. The maps are small for such a vast and complex archipelago, but there isn't really any way round this, is there? And where species are restricted to single small dots, an arrow is used to highlight the distribution.

6. I don't think it's feasible to expect a field guide to this region to have illustrations of every plumage and pose. First, there isn't enough space, and second I doubt there are many professional artists who have sufficient field experience of many of these species to produce an Indonesian "Collins".

Short review from me: no sane birder would visit Indonesia without this book.

It's not the only book with birds from Sulawesi currently on the market. Norman Arlott has just published the Collins Field Guide Birds of the Philippines and Sumatra, Java, Bali, Borneo, Sulawesi, the Lesser Sundas and the Moluccas.

If you are trying to identify a bird in the forest, what are you doing looking at the INDEX?! Why not have a look at the bird, then look at the plates, see which one it looked like, quickly check that it occurs on your island, then re-check text and plate as required. How does the index come into it?

Lets say that almost every Western birder will be faced with lots of endemics in Indonesia (especially Sulawesi and Sundas) which ne never saw in his life before. Not everybody is a specialized bird leader of Asian bird tours.

Your procedure might be possible if the book would not rigidly use the phylogenetic order, and did not have over 200 plates. So one bush warbler lands far away from another bush warbler, and you have no idea whether there is a third bush warbler somewhere else. Not to mention other warblers.

And maps are printed so small that if the bird range covers a small island, it is poorly visible to almost not visible.

I mentioned two other books which also dealt with endemic-rich island chains, and the problem did not exist there.

L

I mentioned two other books which also dealt with endemic-rich island chains, and the problem did not exist there.

ie "'The birds of Melanesia' or 'The birds of Madagascar and Indian Ocean Islands"

Have you compared the species numbers involved and thus the need for taxonomic order to take precedent over other approaches? The Indonesia guide has vastly more species than those two regions. Island-by-island plates would be a dog's breakfast in this guide, but could (do) work for smaller regions, eg Pratt's book.

cheers, alan

L So one bush warbler lands far away from another bush warbler, and you have no idea whether there is a third bush warbler somewhere else. Not to mention other warblers.

Are they really that far apart? - I'll check later, but I don't think there are any bush-warblers hiding in with the ducks. What other warblers?

I was assuming people going birdwatching in Indonesia have some vague idea of the type of birds they might see in a given location. I'm clearly mistaken, at least in a small number of cases...

cheers, alan

Are they really that far apart? - I'll check later

That's the problem - it should not be necessary to check...

I was assuming people going birdwatching in Indonesia have some vague idea of the type of birds they might see in a given location. I'm clearly mistaken, at least in a small number of cases...

I humbly accept there are lots of birders better than me. Every time I can meet one, I am looking forward to it.

Are they really that far apart? - I'll check later, but I don't think there are any bush-warblers hiding in with the ducks. What other warblers?

So the reworking of 'bush-warblers' leads to a spread across 5 plates, from p373, with some other species, eg Malia, Leaftoiler, tesias etc interspersed, but there are essentially 5 pages of small brown warblers. You hardly have to thumb through the whole book...

cheers, alan

So the reworking of 'bush-warblers' leads to a spread across 5 plates, from p373, with some other species, eg Malia, Leaftoiler, tesias etc interspersed, but there are essentially 5 pages of small brown warblers. You hardly have to thumb through the whole book...

cheers, alan

And by comparison is the same number of pages for small brown warblers in matk brazils birds of east asia..

Cheers, a

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back