• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto carbon fibre (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

Hi all,
I am looking to re-deploy my 055 to light camera work with a kirk ball head.
I therefore am considering a nice light carbon tripod purely for my Swaro ATS 80HD. I was thinking of a 190 mag fibre, but will this be steady enough? I already have a 128RC head from the 055 to go on it.

Oh & happy new year!B :)

Hi Rob, sorry I can't comment on the 190 mag fibre, though I did write my thoughts on the 055 MFV mag fibre in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=103005

The 055 is tall enough for me (6ft) that I don't need to use the centre column at all, which is the ideal way to go for scoping, especially at high powers. This might be a limitation with the smaller 190 model where you might need the extra height of the column, depending on your height. This would obviously affect stability, though if like mine your scope is angled, you wouldn't need to use too much column extension.

I'm really happy with the tripod which I've had for over 2 1/2 years now, and no significant problems. I used to hate the fact that the legs were 'floppy', but since tightening the 3 allen bolts in the top section it's been much better.

The only mod I've made is to add a short centre column which as an advantage for sitting or when working low. The original column is really too long unless you're 7ft tall!

One thing to consider is that it isn't significantly lighter than the Manfrotto 055 aluminium model (though still not really a heavyweight IMHO). If you want something much lighter in CF look at the Velbon 635 models or the new Swarovski carbon model, or perhaps a Gitzo 6x model if you feel like splashing out.

Last edited:
If you really want to treat yourself have a look at the new Swarovski CF tripod legs, they are very light and very stable... yours for just £235.

One thing to consider is that it isn't significantly lighter than the Manfrotto 055 aluminium model (though still not really a heavyweight IMHO). If you want something much lighter in CF look at the Velbon 635 models or the new Swarovski carbon model, or perhaps a Gitzo 6x model if you feel like splashing out.

I have been researching tripods of late and just wanted to offer some miscellaneous comments. The Velbon 630 series (which I purchased recently) is about the same weight (3.4 pounds versus 3.5) as the 190 the original poster suggested, but offers more height. (And the 190 carbon fiber is about one half pound lighter than the 190 aluminum). I noticed Velbon also offers a 530 series, which is only 2.8 pounds but also offers more height than the 190. I do not know anything about the stability though.

One issue that was mentioned in another thread was the question of balance on one's shoulder when carrying the tripod/scope combination. There are other ways to carry a scope, but if you plan to carry your big Swarovski this way, balance may be an issue with a light tripod. If you find a balance is an issue, you may want to try a lighter head (700RC2?) to improve the balance.

My two cents,
Jim

I noticed Velbon also offers a 530 series, which is only 2.8 pounds but also offers more height than the 190. I do not know anything about the stability though.

Jim

I use the Velbon Sherpa Pro carbon fibre 530; indeed very lightweight, and quite stable with my angled Diascope 65 with 23x eyepiece. With a big Swaro ATS 80 HD it is NOT a good choice, unless you don't have to extend the center column. The extended column will cause too much instability even in fair breezes with a big scope on top.
The legs reach a height of 121 cm, without center column extended, so with a 128 RC head the max height is around 134 cm without the center column.
I'm 6'4" so I have to use the center column almost entirely, but I chose the tripod for its portability.
A Velbon 630 will be better for a Swaro 80 IMO

Greetings, Ronald.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back