• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request advice re. Manfrotto tripod (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may I request advice.
I have Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens and a Nikon D7100 combination.
I am thinking of obtaining a tripod, and have seen a couple for sale online. My query is as to whether they are of the sturdy type, as I understand my kit is in need of that strong and robust kind of tripod. The tripods I have seen are Manfrotto 190. There are a few for sale. In addition there is a Manfrotto 290. I would of course need to get a ball head or similar to go with a tripod.
Please does anyone know if this models of tripod are suitable for my camera and lens.

Please may I request advice.
I have Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens and a Nikon D7100 combination.
I am thinking of obtaining a tripod, and have seen a couple for sale online. My query is as to whether they are of the sturdy type, as I understand my kit is in need of that strong and robust kind of tripod. The tripods I have seen are Manfrotto 190. There are a few for sale. In addition there is a Manfrotto 290. I would of course need to get a ball head or similar to go with a tripod.
Please does anyone know if this models of tripod are suitable for my camera and lens.
I would think that you need to give as much if not greater consideration to the load bearing weight of the head and the type of QR system that you intend to adopt than the sturdiness of the legs. A ball-head may not be enough to provide enough support to the camera/lens & the degree of control that you need for photography. Do you want aluminium or carbon fibre? So much to think about ...

RB

I would think that you need to give as much if not greater consideration to the load bearing weight of the head and the type of QR system that you intend to adopt than the sturdiness of the legs. A ball-head may not be enough to provide enough support to the camera/lens & the degree of control that you need for photography. Do you want aluminium or carbon fibre? So much to think about ...

RB
Thank you for sharing your helpful insights and knowledge which I appreciate LOL.

Hi,

I would not consider a ballhead for a long and moderately heavy superzoom lens together with a DSLR... except maybe a fairly sturdy one with a notch, the head tilted to the side and the possibility to rotate the whole head (as opposed to just the ball) around the vertical axis... this could be used together with an L bracket as a poor-mans gimbal.

Getting a head with a long plate helps to keep your kit in balance - this takes less time as you don't have to lock everything super tight for the kit not to move due to gravity.

Stable tripods can be made from all common materials - they tend to differ in dampening time: wood > carbon > aluminum.

Joachim

Hi,

I would not consider a ballhead for a long and moderately heavy superzoom lens together with a DSLR... except maybe a fairly sturdy one with a notch, the head tilted to the side and the possibility to rotate the whole head (as opposed to just the ball) around the vertical axis... this could be used together with an L bracket as a poor-mans gimbal.

Getting a head with a long plate helps to keep your kit in balance - this takes less time as you don't have to lock everything super tight for the kit not to move due to gravity.

Stable tripods can be made from all common materials - they tend to differ in dampening time: wood > carbon > aluminum.

Joachim
Thank you so much for the advice. Following this I have obtained on ebay a MOVO GH700 gimbal head second hand to go with the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod. I have a question about this gimbal, which has arrived today, and have put that question in a different thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back