• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Osprey Project (1 Viewer)

The live stream doesn't seem to be working at present. I understand there have been a few technical problems over the past day or so, lets hope it's sorted out and we can tune into the Elin/Nora business (I bl***y hate soap opera's |:p|).

I believe that Nora could still turn up and sincerely hope she will...then you had better watch out Monty old boy :flyaway:

Been reading this thread for a week or so now and im really hoping that Nora will turn up soon!

Im watching the cam right now and cant help but feel sad for Monty being alone and waiting for his better half. What dedication he's showing to not just hook up with Elin.

Really hope that Noras just been sidetracked by lotsa yummy fish elsewhere, or a dozen males begging her to be thiers and she's too polite to say no, so stays for a fish! haha

Come on Nora, yours mans waiting!

Ospreys are reknown for being both mate and site faithful, and it is sad to see Monty alone for such a long spell especially after the rigours of migration that takes almost a month to complete...lets just keep hoping for Nora's return!

Ospreys are reknown for being both mate and site faithful, and it is sad to see Monty alone for such a long spell especially after the rigours of migration that takes almost a month to complete...lets just keep hoping for Nora's return!

Im yet to see an Osprey with my own eyes, not just webcams....im in Devon so do have Powderham castle where they nest and use the river there for hunting....but i always miss them.

Last year i was up and down to london on the train once a month and using my local wildlife in devon thing, i'd seen there were Ospreys spotted almost daily...but whenever i went past, not one was seen that day by me or anyone else.

Its one bird i really want to see....i have missed them so easily before, but in south devon im a good place for the migration, but they always seemed to be a day ahead of me, when i had a day off work, they had already passed through where i could look and where off to thier wintering grounds.

This year i will see one, i hope!

I am afraid not. There are lots of examples where females have mated with other males. Just ask Odin at Loch Garten.

Males have also moved like Orange VS to Loch Garten in 2008

Monty has stayed faithful to Cors Dyfi but he must have come from somewhere. Some people think he is the chick that fledged from Welshpool in 2004.

As of a few weeks ago we know that Yellow 37 from Glaslyn went up to Northumberland as did his brother White YA

Their brother Black 80 hatched at Glaslyn in 2006 is up at Threave Castle in Scotland.

Im yet to see an Osprey with my own eyes, not just webcams....im in Devon so do have Powderham castle where they nest and use the river there for hunting....but i always miss them.

Last year i was up and down to london on the train once a month and using my local wildlife in devon thing, i'd seen there were Ospreys spotted almost daily...but whenever i went past, not one was seen that day by me or anyone else.

Its one bird i really want to see....i have missed them so easily before, but in south devon im a good place for the migration, but they always seemed to be a day ahead of me, when i had a day off work, they had already passed through where i could look and where off to thier wintering grounds.

This year i will see one, i hope!

That's a real shame you haven't seen an Osprey yet, but I'm sure you will soon! You're right, I'm sure there's plenty of sites in Devon where Ospreys would pass through on migration - I've seen one at Exminster Marshes before now. It's interesting you mentioned them nesting at Powderham castle. I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is a breeding pair in Devon, and all Devon sightings are birds flying over on migration or possibly stopping for a few days to rest/feed up. You're best bet to see an Osprey for sure is at a project, like the Dyfi Osprey Project, or Rutland Water. These would be the two projects closest to where you're from, both with excellent facilities. Both have webcams too (links below). If you're unable to get to these projects, just keep an eye on Birdguides, or a bird sighting blog for Devon, and look out for any Ospreys hanging around/migrating through.

http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/stream
http://www.ospreys.org.uk/webcam

Quote Justin "That's a real shame you haven't seen an Osprey yet, but I'm sure you will soon! You're right, I'm sure there's plenty of sites in Devon where Ospreys would pass through on migration - I've seen one at Exminster Marshes before now. It's interesting you mentioned them nesting at Powderham castle. I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is a breeding pair in Devon, and all Devon sightings are birds flying over on migration or possibly stopping for a few days to rest/feed up. You're best bet to see an Osprey for sure is at a project, like the Dyfi Osprey Project, or Rutland Water. These would be the two projects closest to where you're from, both with excellent facilities. Both have webcams too (links below). If you're unable to get to these projects, just keep an eye on Birdguides, or a bird sighting blog for Devon, and look out for any Ospreys hanging around/migrating through".

Staysee sent me a PM on these very points Justin, I gave him almost the same information back as you produce here. We can only wait and hope that Devon's nearest breeding birds (Dyfi) are successful this year and then Staysee can perhaps get up to see them. Monty has been very site faithful (like most Osprey) and will most probably still be 'on view' regardless.

Don't forget that Dyfi's new 360 degree Observatory will be up and running in May, that will make anyone's visit extra special and a great way for anyone to see their first Osprey :t:

There is a female on the nest! Monty has been display flying above the nest and there has been a few mating attempts on the nest! They believe it is Elin, the female that has been around a couple of times already this season, but personally, I think it is a different female. Anyway, at the end of the day, all that matters is that she's female!

Attachments

• female.jpg
    female.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 52
  • monty mating.jpg
    monty mating.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 56
After all the excitement calmed and they had a good look at this female, the DOP have revealed that it is indeed a different female - one that has never visited before (not to their knowledge). This female is also un-ringed, like Elin, but has a much broader, darker chest pattern and the head patterns are slightly different. Monty, the male, has caught a fish and landed on the nest with it, teasing this new female, and has now taken it to a perch to feed.

Here's a photo of when Monty brought the fish back to the nest for the female - they are both stunning birds, just got to hope she stays! They have mated 11 times this morning but she's been too busy tucking in this afternoon to mate again. The signs are good so far.

Attachments

• monty and female with fish.jpg
    monty and female with fish.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 52
Just a footnote to all of this - running this project isn't easy and requires a hell of a lot of dedication from staff and volunteers, and the generous donations from you, the general public. I don't know about everyone else, but I find following the Dyfi Ospreys just like a soap opera, except on a much more entertaining level! If you really do enjoy watching the live streaming, then please could you donate as much as you can - every little helps! If all the people who watch the live stream donated £2, the project would be much better off, and would be able to provide you with a much better experience, live from the nest. Thank you.

Now we all know what this mean's...bigamy :-O The new lady in Monty's life has been called Seren which mean's star in English, very apt I think, she came literally out of the blue. It's a shame about Nora perhaps we may never get to know what actually happened to her.

Lets all hope that this new relationship is a great success and that soon Seren will be on eggs, Monty is certainly not hanging around :kiss:

I've not been able to get live streaming for almost a week now, I understand there have been some power problems, I've had to keep up to date by visiting the DOP facebook page (and checking with Justin's updates here :t:).

It's all starting to happen now...just brilliant :t: :D

It's a brilliant project isn't it Bill? So many twists and turns, it really is better than a soap opera on TV!

Are you still having problems with the live streaming? There has been a power cut this morning but the live streaming is back up. What are you using to view the live stream and what are the problems? I'll try and get them sorted for you.

The new female at the Dyfi, Seren hasn't been seen since 15:50, when she flew off heading east. Looking like this, lets hope she's just gone off to find some shelter - one of those grim Welsh days; misty and drizzly.

Attachments

• seren.jpg
    seren.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 48
It's a brilliant project isn't it Bill? So many twists and turns, it really is better than a soap opera on TV!

Are you still having problems with the live streaming? There has been a power cut this morning but the live streaming is back up. What are you using to view the live stream and what are the problems? I'll try and get them sorted for you.

It certainly is Justin, and I can only repeat your footnote about helping the project by giving a small donation...every little helps!!!

Still can't get the live stream, tried most ways now - no luck I'm afraid. I think Adobe Flash is used (I've Windows XP) I've installed the latest Adobe update too. Can't quite understand what's gone wrong, all was running okay until about a week back, I can access the DOP page but all I see is the Aberystwyth University and Network Rail sponsorship logo's where the video stream should be/was?

Lets all hope Seren is just doing a woman thing :-O surely they can't have had a tiff already :eek!: :flowers:

It certainly is Justin, and I can only repeat your footnote about helping the project by giving a small donation...every little helps!!!

Still can't get the live stream, tried most ways now - no luck I'm afraid. I think Adobe Flash is used (I've Windows XP) I've installed the latest Adobe update too. Can't quite understand what's gone wrong, all was running okay until about a week back, I can access the DOP page but all I see is the Aberystwyth University and Network Rail sponsorship logo's where the video stream should be/was?

Lets all hope Seren is just doing a woman thing :-O surely they can't have had a tiff already :eek!: :flowers:

Yes indeed Bill, the Dyfi Osprey Project is only a small charity and relies on kind donations from the general public, and every little helps! Thank you to those who have donated.

There have been major changes to the live streaming over the last week or so, with changes in resolution and the audio being put on. Thanks for your patience so far, but everyone involved are trying extremely hard to sort out all the problems. The server has crashed a couple of times this week which hasn't helped things but it's getting sorted.

I've asked the project manager what the latest is with the live streaming and will get back to you tomorrow afternoon/evening with hopefully some good news for you to be able to view the live stream again.

Everyone watch the live stream tomorrow! Seren hasn't been seen since 15:50 to the best of my knowledge, so it's an important day tomorrow for Monty and the project as to whether she is still around or has, in fact, moved on, which is a sad thought.

Again, thank you to all that view and donate to the project, and please, those who haven't so far, give what you can, it all goes towards a fantastic cause - thank you very much.

Bill - I've got a response from Emyr Evans, project manager. He said try and restart the computer and try loading the live streaming again and it should fix it. Also, if you're using Internet Explorer, you need the version 'Internet Explorer 9' or above (it's currently 10). Otherwise, if you're using a different browser (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc.), make sure it is an updated version and try again.

All the best and let me know how you get on.

The new female at the Dyfi, Seren hasn't been seen since 15:50, when she flew off heading east. Looking like this, lets hope she's just gone off to find some shelter - one of those grim Welsh days; misty and drizzly.

this weather is typical for bloody Wales, looks like we are headed for another cold wet summer, if this carries on the bird breeding season is going to be another poor one

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back