• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Osprey Project (2 Viewers)

That's a shame, many anglers are delighted to share a stretch of water with such superb birds, perhaps if they were better informed in the angling club you refer to they might change their minds...and yes Cog the Mawdach Estuary is certainly a very beautiful place and would be even better with some Osprey setting up home there.

Many Thanks lads, I've looked at the blog and now fully understand what went wrong. I can get live-streaming with Firefox but it's not my default browser, my default is Internet Explorer 8, and this is not compatible with DOP live-streaming, it's the latest browser for WindowsXP (which is my operating system)...so if your using WindowsXP you should consider using Firefox to access live-streaming. No problems if you use Internet Explorer 9 or 10 both can get live-streaming, IE9 is the latest browser for Windows7 and IE10 is the latest browser for Windows8.

Hope this clears up any future problems for those wanting to see all the exciting things going on at the Dyfi Osprey Project and have WindowsXP.

My WindowsXP PC has almost used up all it's hard disc space :'D and is generally off the pace now and so I'm about to invest in a new PC and must decide which operating system to use Windows 7 or 8. Whichever, I'm now informed that either will provide a super live-stream from DOP. In the meantime I'll use Firefox to catch up...:t:

That's excellent Bill, I'm glad the blog today helped you to be able to watch the live stream. I've kept this updated the best I can and if you've been following on Facebook, you'll be aware what's going on, but it's not the same without the live stream.

Such a shame that the local Dolgellau angling club kicked up a fuss about a proposed project on the Mawdach estuary (The most beautiful estuary in Britain ?) and voted against it fearing the Ospreys would take to many fish..lol

http://www.snowdonia.info/index.php...tions/birds/the-mawddach-osprey-site-possible

I completely agree with you and it is such frustrating news. What these stupid people don't understand is that Grey Mullet account for 50% of an Osprey's diet (when nesting at an estuary site). They also catch a fair few Flounder. This has been found out from first hand research at the Dyfi Osprey Project. The distance from the mouth of the River Dyfi to the mouth of the River Mawddach is 12.5 miles, so the fish statistics will be similar.

Yes, the Osprey will take Sea Trout, but not that many in perspective of an Osprey's diet. The bulk of its diet is made up of Grey Mullet and Flounder, which are of no worth to fisherman. So what is their problem? It's stupid.

Well blow me down! There has been 3 females at the Dyfi this morning!!! It all started nice and calmly with Monty bringing in an early fish for Blue FS - the 3 year old that has been quite comfortably settling in since Saturday. Then all of a sudden, another bird flew in, bearing a darvic ring on its left leg - White UR. She is another 3 year old, Scottish female, who was seen in the Gambia on Tangi beach by Tim and John from the Rutland team in 2011. Not long after White UR appeared, Seren appeared again!! She came flying in and seemed like the most dominant bird. After Blue FS chased away White UR, Seren chased off Blue FS! Monty has been staying out the way but it is now Seren on the nest now on the live stream!

https://www.facebook.com/dyfiospreyproject?hc_location=stream

http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/stream

I completely agree with you and it is such frustrating news. What these stupid people don't understand is that Grey Mullet account for 50% of an Osprey's diet (when nesting at an estuary site). They also catch a fair few Flounder. This has been found out from first hand research at the Dyfi Osprey Project. The distance from the mouth of the River Dyfi to the mouth of the River Mawddach is 12.5 miles, so the fish statistics will be similar.

Yes, the Osprey will take Sea Trout, but not that many in perspective of an Osprey's diet. The bulk of its diet is made up of Grey Mullet and Flounder, which are of no worth to fisherman. So what is their problem? It's stupid.

The trouble for the fishermen is that with the numbers of Ospreys about there's a fair chance they might set up in the Mawddach anyway regardless of whether they want them there or not;)

Quite possibly, but as soon as the fisherman find out, they'll be up in arms, and might take matters into their own hands, which is the last thing anyone wants to happen. Not to mention it being illegal..

Quite possibly, but as soon as the fisherman find out, they'll be up in arms, and might take matters into their own hands, which is the last thing anyone wants to happen. Not to mention it being illegal..

Fishermen in general are a pain in the arse, whether its cormorants, Gooseander, otters kayaks or any other thing they can moan about

Not all are like that gents. I used to regularly go fishing when I was younger and used to enjoy watching the wildlife at the same time.

Looking forward to bringing the clan up to the project at some stage this spring. Just need a decent weather forecast.

Rich

Do you know if the pair( other than the glaslynpair) that bred last year have returned this year. Quite a few artificial nests about the area now

Not all are like that gents. I used to regularly go fishing when I was younger and used to enjoy watching the wildlife at the same time.

Looking forward to bringing the clan up to the project at some stage this spring. Just need a decent weather forecast.

Rich

I'm sure they aren't Rich, just need a few to give the rest a bad name, exactly the same with pigeon fanciers and peregrines

Putting the potential Mawdach Estuary Osprey 'Project' into some perspective, I believe someone should inform the angling club members about Ospreys, these decisions are often based on subject ignorance or selfish vested interests. If someone with the necessary experience of Ospreys (perhaps from DOP?) were to give an informal talk to the club members it's often pleasantly surprising how many minds can be changed. I know this from personal experience with pigeon fanciers and Peregrines in the South Wales valleys.

Get the angling club members involved and proud to be associated with these magnificent birds. With the right attitude and a positive approach a Mawdach Estuary Osprey Project could become reality, and thats where the real hard work and project commitment begins...but lets not put the cart before the horse...first you need Ospreys and that brings us back to attracting them to the estuary (unless they decide to set up home there themselves!!!).

Who's idea was it to propose a Mawdach Estuary Osprey Project?

Last edited:
Do you know if the pair( other than the glaslynpair) that bred last year have returned this year. Quite a few artificial nests about the area now

If you mean the Dyfi project then the answer is no. Monty has returned for a fifth year but Nora has not.

There have been a succession of females who are mostly treating Monty as a supplier of fish.

As for arguments as to bringing to the area there are many. One of the main positives is to bring tourists to the area. I will be in Wales later this year purely to see the ospreys.

In Scotland they charge large sums of money just to see ospreys fishing.

Well the proposed 'Mawddach Osprey Project' has been planned by the Snowdonia National Park. A warden from the national park spoke to Emyr Evans (DOP manager) a couple of times last season, gaining advice about setting up an Osprey project. Emyr gave him all the information he needed, and I believe Emyr gave a talk to the angling club up there, as he has with other angling clubs, but it's just so difficult to get them on your side (the bird's side).

Back to what Rich said, you are right, not all fisherman are like that. There is a regular visitor to the DOP who is a local fisherman and keeps the project up to date with how the river is doing (river level, fish numbers etc.) There are always a few though who think the Osprey will take all the fish in the river and that they are a 'pest'. What they need to realise is that the majority of an Osprey's diet at an estuary site is made up of Grey Mullet and Flounder, which are of no worth to the fisherman. Getting this message out to the fisherman and making them realise that the Osprey is not a bad bird is an ever-lasting nightmare for the conservationist.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back