• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

A garden tick yesterday (takes us to 93 species since we moved in 2 years ago), another warbler that breeds not far away, but higher up than our 1,000m., rattling away in the blossoming fruit trees:

67 Lesser Whitethroat

Not a garden tick for me, but Lesser Whitethroat here also.

79. Lesser Whitethroat

If that unusual Squacco subspecies doesn't turn up Dan, you should encourage the local restaurateurs to come and err, 'harvest' the frogs, very tasty with that garlic stuffing:eek!:

[/B]

Kind of like amphibians too much to eat them myself. Did get forced to try snails at the village 'marche' once - hmmm ... over-salted rubbery burnt cardboard ... not my favourite dining experience tbh. One was enough.

Only managed one Bonelli's ever from the garden as an autumn passage bird in someone else's conifer, fairly distantly with other warblers.

Last edited:
51) Nightingale - 1 heard distantly

Since heard in the evenings too. A flight of 11 Cattle Egret over too were nice one evening. And a chunky large falcon with a pale tail.

Today, 25th -

52) Wren 1 loudly singing in the garden briefly.
53) Booted Eagle 1 over N.

Off back to Blighty tomorrow. Hopefully. If the National Railway Strike (about 3 weeks into it's 3 month duration) doesn't stop the trains running.

Hoped to find one of these in the last days, but zilch. Had breeding birds a couple of years, but otherwise a scarce spring passage bird - next few days or will be a blank for the year.

Here you are Jos, in case you start pining for the pipit, instead of singing and display flying from the distant trees it paid us a visit this morning, investigating the numerous flies which are frequenting the neighbours' garden which is very well covered with manure - nice!
(Of course I'll forgive the neighbours for having added that 'essence de merde' perfume to the vicinity if a Red-throated Pipit is attracted down ;))

Attachments

• Pipit d a 26.4.18.jpg
    Pipit d a 26.4.18.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 34
After a couple of days with songbird migrants around there's been nothing since but today I looked up after hearing a familiar call and expected to see the culprit. Not one but 100-110 birds wheeling around not higher than 50 metres, then many of them calling excitedly. They seemed to be thinking of coming down on the rather busy beach nearby but then started circling higher and higher and after a few minutes, when I got momentarily distracted, were out of sight. I wonder if they were following the coast or had come off the sea from the south. Its always been a potential, as a couple of birds always winter near to me on the rocky shore beyond the beach. Anyway, a new one for home.

55. Whimbrel

I'm dreaming of a Lesser Whitethroat here, its genuinely a mega rarity in Portugal.
Just had a quick look at last year's thread and I'm 5 species behind at this time - must get the scope on the sea a bit more!

Last edited:
Back in the UK now.

France garden list - 53 species from 12 days.

In the garden (on the ground/house/vegetation/trees) = 23
In the garden (above, in the air space vertically) = 5
From the garden (visually, any distance) = 19
From the garden (heard only) = 6

So, in the garden (in and directly above) = 53%
From the garden (both visually and heard) = 47%
Heard only = 11%

Might be interesting (or not!) to know what others' comparitive figures are ...

Back in the UK now.

France garden list - 53 species from 12 days.

In the garden (on the ground/house/vegetation/trees) = 23
In the garden (above, in the air space vertically) = 5
From the garden (visually, any distance) = 19
From the garden (heard only) = 6

So, in the garden (in and directly above) = 53%
From the garden (both visually and heard) = 47%
Heard only = 11%

Might be interesting (or not!) to know what others' comparitive figures are ...

31 species utilising the "furniture" and 32 over and out...almost 50/50....

Two to add here, both from 23/4. Skylark and Blackcap makes my total 54 so far.

5 over garden
4 from garden
45 in the garden. All that were heard only have since been upgraded to in.

Flood pools in the meadow are doing absolutely amazing this spring - still extensive, they got a first for my land ten days ago with Black-tailed Godwit and today struck it gold with another new species for my land, a totally unexpected Little Grebe. Not particularly rare in Lithuania, but I would not say common either, so a very nice addition. Species number 175 for my land. Whooper Swans still present too, though though flew off mid-afternoon ...maybe finally departing?

Also rather pleasing, and I'd like to think due to Richard's 'here you are Jos' a couple of days back, a pair of Tree Pipits - in an area they bred a few years back, maybe they'll linger. On a neighbouring barn, also finally nailed the Black Redstart that breeds there.

80. Little Grebe
81. Tree Pipit
82. Black Redstart

Last edited:
Two to add here, both from 23/4. Skylark and Blackcap makes my total 54 so far.

5 over garden
4 from garden
45 in the garden. All that were heard only have since been upgraded to in.

51 in the 'garden' (we have a field and a bit of woodland extending from the house so an extended 'garden' nowadays:t:).
5 over (Woodpigeon, Swallow, Black Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Raven).
11 from.

I can now add sparrowhawk to the birds in my garden this year. It didn't hang around for long though - especially with the local crows and magpies harassing it.

The warblers are here! The warblers are here! Well, one anyway. Very dapper yellow-rumped outside the kitchen window this morning.

37 Osprey 26 Apr 2018
38 Ring-billed Gull 26 Apr 2018
39 Golden-crowned Kinglet 26 Apr 2018
40 Ruffed Grouse 26 Apr 2018
41 Broad-winged Hawk 26 Apr 2018
42 Hermit Thrush 26 Apr 2018
43 Yellow-rumped Warbler 29 April 2018

And as to the in/flyover/heard split....lets see...
30 Seen in the garden (including Wood duck pair that landed in a tree during the rain on Monday, upgrading their status.)
11 Flyovers. With the exception of Common Raven, I'd be surprised (thrilled!) if any of these get upgraded. Mostly hawks and visitors to the lake.
2 Heard only - Barred Owl and Common Loon. Touch wood we've seen the BAOW in the garden every year so far, and generally see the Loons flying over at some point.

Over the almost five years we've been at this address, I believe only one of my 100 remain a heard only - Eastern Whipoorwill. Which was on the roof and heard very very clearly!

Dad, does that mean you've upgraded Tawny Owl to seen, or just heard in?

And as to the in/flyover/heard split....lets see...
30 Seen in the garden (including Wood duck pair that landed in a tree during the rain on Monday, upgrading their status.)
11 Flyovers. With the exception of Common Raven, I'd be surprised (thrilled!) if any of these get upgraded. Mostly hawks and visitors to the lake.
2 Heard only - Barred Owl and Common Loon. Touch wood we've seen the BAOW in the garden every year so far, and generally see the Loons flying over at some point.

Over the almost five years we've been at this address, I believe only one of my 100 remain a heard only - Eastern Whipoorwill. Which was on the roof and heard very very clearly!

I had forgotten that was a heard only, it was definitely in, I just couldn't find it. Far too much ivy on all our trees now.

We are currently in SW London, you know where, will be home Tuesday afternoon.

....got me thinking!...35 years at the same address on a 130+, Pheasant, Greenshank, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Little Owl and Quail are my "heard only" although I may have missed one? :eek!:

....got me thinking!...35 years at the same address on a 130+, Pheasant, Greenshank, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Little Owl and Quail are my "heard only" although I may have missed one? :eek!:

Tawny owl for you too?!?! I didn't mean to come off as the owl police, just got excited that Dad might have finally seen it and forgotten to mention it!

Just looked at my all time garden list, and black billed cuckoo is also a heard only. I tracked it down and saw it, but not in or from the garden. Maybe this year!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back