• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (7 Viewers)

chris murphy said:
Oh my god, this is now becoming ludicrous. In all seriousness, is this a joke? Is this just one big wind-up, and for some reason I'm not getting the punchline?

Chris, baby, we passed ludicrous about 100 pages ago. :hi: ;)

gws said:
Chris, baby, we passed ludicrous about 100 pages ago. :hi: ;)
Well maybe this thread has become completely pointless then. Why not call a complete halt to all postings until such time as there is some serious new evidence to debate (and by that I don't mean yet another 'I saw one yesterday, honestly' post); i.e. picture, video, audio, detailed field notes, physical evidence. And no more mysterious hints about having evidence but it can't be revealed yet or is being suppressed. Put up or shut up. But at the minute there is absolutely nothing to discuss. Period.

timeshadowed said:
All of you skeptics who keep asking the same questions over and over again {which have been answered up-thread by-the-way}

Please direct me to the answers to post 5576. I don't seem to be able to find them on this thread.

Timeshadowed, I'm not the researcher. I don't have to show ANYTHING about PIWO and IBWO. If you start questioning me on my own research, then it's up to me to show you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am right. How far do you think science would have progressed if it worked the other way around? Have you ever published in a referreed journal?

For all those who continue to find this as ludicrous please opt out. I have already admitted defeat, you are all right, and there is nothing further to discuss.

For those that want physical evidence please feel free to hop on out there and find it.

For those that think it is easy the same.

For those who want to continue whining about the last two sentences please see sentence one.

Jesse Gilsdorf said:
For all those who continue to find this as ludicrous please opt out. I have already admitted defeat, you are all right, and there is nothing further to discuss.

Being that this is supposed to be an "updates" thread you could be right Jesse.

No-one has provided anything that might constitute an update on the status of IBWO ............... except cinclodes and he wont talk about it - what's the point ? 8-P :h?:

timeshadowed said:
If the IBWO had never been classified as 'presumed extinct', thus asumming that it WAS extinct, how much of this 'debate' about the current IBWO sightings would be taking place now?

TimeShadowed

Bearing in mind the quality of the documentation of all the recent sightings - there would undoubtedly be 'debate' about whether it should be declared extinct.

Okay, let me try...

Mike Collins,

1. Do you feel that flap-rate is a good indicator of the presence of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker when viewed and measured in a video?

2. Is body shape definitive when comparing IBWO and PIWO from a distance?

Thank you.

timeshadowed said:
If the IBWO was already considered existant, how much of this current 'debate' would be occurring?
Still a lot I'm afraid (sorry guys!) Each sighting in a "new area" would need the same rigorous scrutiny as the one that proved its continuing existence.
One "real" IBWO wouldn't turn any of the other "reported IBWO's" into real IBWO's, certainly not on the scant evidence provided. Although we could then at least compare those flap rates...

Xenospiza said:
Still a lot I'm afraid (sorry guys!) Each sighting in a "new area" would need the same rigorous scrutiny as the one that proved its continuing existence.
One "real" IBWO wouldn't turn any of the other "reported IBWO's" into real IBWO's, certainly not on the scant evidence provided. Although we could then at least compare those flap rates...

Thanks for all that have answered my two questions - Tim?? OH Tim, where are you??

I think that Xenospiza has probably expressed the skeptics viewpoint best.

So can we thus conclude that, even if that 'perfect photo' is obtained, the debate will still be ongoing? What, if anything, will stop the debate?

Jesse Gilsdorf said:

For those that want physical evidence please feel free to hop on out there and find it.

For those that think it is easy the same.

For those who want to continue whining about the last two sentences please see sentence one.

Amounts pretty much to you saying 'we are god, be a believer in our words'.

So, the brick wall mentality has concluded there is nothing further to discuss, so you'd like all those that find the flimsy arguments and waffle ludicrous to opt out. What is your point of coming on a forum? Preach to your converted flock?

Last edited:
timeshadowed said:
Thanks for all that have answered my two questions - Tim?? OH Tim, where are you??

So can we thus conclude that, even if that 'perfect photo' is obtained, the debate will still be ongoing? What, if anything, will stop the debate?

of course each sighting in a new area needs verifying

it's comon sense. Even your silly questions gets answers; not so those sensible ones put to Mr Collins'....

I thought you were ignoring me, darling?

timeshadowed said:

If a 'Perfect photo' is obtained then I'm sure that will bring to an end the extinct/extant debate, as assuming the photo is clear, identifiable, and it is obvious it has not been doctored in any way, then it will prove that the species still exists. However, there will always be debates going on, even if the species continued existence is satisfactorily proven (what was the bird in the Luneau video?, are there birds elsewhere? etc) and discussions will continue. Maybe they will not be as heated as this one has become but given the subject matter, I suppose maybe it is inevitable.
Chris

chris murphy said:
If a 'Perfect photo' is obtained then I'm sure that will bring to an end the extinct/extant debate, as assuming the photo is clear, identifiable, and it is obvious it has not been doctored in any way, then it will prove that the species still exists. However, there will always be debates going on, even if the species continued existence is satisfactorily proven (what was the bird in the Luneau video?, are there birds elsewhere? etc) and discussions will continue. Maybe they will not be as heated as this one has become but given the subject matter, I suppose maybe it is inevitable.
Chris

It was too hard to resist commenting on this one...

The question "what was the bird in the Luneau video?" has already been answered. It is an Ivorybill. Whether I believe it exists or not is completely irrelevant. I don't know the group from Cornell personally who came to this conclusion but nevertheless, they did come to that conclusion. Therefore, for me personally, the group has spoken and it must be assumed true. Why? Because if a group of experts from a reputable organization such as Cornell come to that conclusion, it (the subject of discussion) has then reached a "high-enough" level of certainty to be accepted; otherwise, nothing can ever be proven true or false and the scientific process fails as we know it. I believe the reason there is so much debate is because there are skeptics out there louder than most who cannot accept such an incredible event occuring and it is they who are actually undoing the scientific process, not the people from Cornell who have made the claim. Again, my belief of the status of the Ivorybill is irrelevant - I don't make statements or conduct studies that will be written in field guides 30 years from now. Cornell does. Cornell has. Done! I would like to hear a reply that can scientifically undo the results...

timeshadowed said:

The only thing that would stop some of these sKeptics would be if a whole sqaudron of ivorybills would cross the pond and do a collective double-tap on their thick skulls.

Face it, some of these guys would argue about the color of the sky.

Also, some of them need to snipe at things American, and they are probably also pissed that the ivorybill threads get incredible action here, as opposed to little interest in the the various threads about the double-billed, triple-tailed, multi-colored whatever from wherever.

Last edited:
Snowy1 said:
It was too hard to resist commenting on this one...

The question "what was the bird in the Luneau video?" has already been answered. It is an Ivorybill. Whether I believe it exists or not is completely irrelevant. I don't know the group from Cornell personally who came to this conclusion but nevertheless, they did come to that conclusion. Therefore, for me personally, the group has spoken and it must be assumed true. Why? Because if a group of experts from a reputable organization such as Cornell come to that conclusion, it (the subject of discussion) has then reached a "high-enough" level of certainty to be accepted; otherwise, nothing can ever be proven true or false and the scientific process fails as we know it. I believe the reason there is so much debate is because there are skeptics out there louder than most who cannot accept such an incredible event occuring and it is they who are actually undoing the scientific process, not the people from Cornell who have made the claim. Again, my belief of the status of the Ivorybill is irrelevant - I don't make statements or conduct studies that will be written in field guides 30 years from now. Cornell does. Cornell has. Done! I would like to hear a reply that can scientifically undo the results...
Who made Cornell infallible? There are plenty of equally prominent ornithologists who do not accept that the video shows an IBWO, or that it does not do so conclusively and further evidence is needed. What is wrong with that? Scientific truth does not come about simply because one group of scientists makes a claim, based on one piece of evidence. It is Cornell's belief that the video shows an IBWO. That does not make it infallible truth.

gws said:
The only thing that would stop some of these sKeptics would be if a whole sqaudron of ivorybills would cross the pond and do a collective double-tap on their thick skulls.

Also, some of them need to snipe at things American, and they are probably also pissed that the ivorybill threads get incredible action here, as opposed to little interest in the the various threads about the double-billed, triple-tailed multi-colored whatever from wherever.
Why do you insist on making this an anti-American thing? That's simply childish. There are plenty of Americans who are equally sceptical based on existing evidence. And if some of you actually bothered to explore other threads you will find plenty of 'action', ie debate, advice, humour, information, etc. from people of all nationalities. Trying widening your horizons a little. It's a big world out there! I sometimes wonder whether any of you are actually interested in birds at all, other than IBWO. A complete ignorance of the wider birding world, including the ability to ID, doesn't do you any favours when trying to present evidence.

Snowy1 said:
The question "what was the bird in the Luneau video?" has already been answered.
Do we really have to go over this again? Even many IBWO 'believers' admit the Luneau video is inconclusive.

Snowy1 said:
if a group of experts from a reputable organization such as Cornell come to that conclusion, it (the subject of discussion) has then reached a "high-enough" level of certainty to be accepted; otherwise, nothing can ever be proven true or false and the scientific process fails as we know it.
So, whatever Cornell says goes. End of story. They can't be wrong. There's no point even looking at their evidence. Fitz and Harrison couldn't possibly be mistaken. Wow - you are trusting! I suppose all the woodpeckers you see fly like fulmars too!

Snowy1 said:
it is they who are actually undoing the scientific process
Amazing - questioning dubious evidence and dubious analysis is undoing the scientific process - what kind of science to you practise? Scientology? If we are going to stop questioning scientific results then perhaps we should stop peer review as well - that would undo the scientific process completely.

Snowy1 said:
I would like to hear a reply that can scientifically undo the results...
Well people have tried to raise sensible criticisms of the Luneau video almost since this thread began. There are bona fide criticisms of the video and the methods used to analyse it, some of which have been published in Science - one of the most highly respected scientific journals in the world. Try reading Sibley's article. Try reading the technical criticisms of the Luneau video here (I advise you to ignore the poetry). ;)

gws said:

It is blue today but it was red the other night, grey the day before and I couldn't see it the day before that. I suppose your mum told you it was blue one day and you never thought to look up ever again ?

gws said:

Funnily enough, at least two woodpeckers have made it across the pond. They weren't IBWOs though. How do we know? Becaue someone checked all the pertinent identification features and documented the sightings properly. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back