• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone Tried Manfrotto's Binocular Clamp? (1 Viewer)

CMB

United States
Manfrotto makes a "Binocular Super Clamp" (part: 035BN) that mounts to a tripod and clamps onto one tube of a binocular.

Has anyone used this, and if so what are your impressions?

Thank you.

Yes, I have one. It’s bulky but much preferable to the contraptions that wrap around the binoculars with rubber bands.

It is sometimes marketed by Manfrotto for binoculars, but it is a standard stage super clamp (the same design is made by other manufacturers) for use on stage or photography sets to hold lights and to anchor scenery etc, and which receives various accessories. If you use it to hold a binocular, be very careful. This sort of clamp is designed to hold very heavy objects very securely, so the jaws have tremendous clamping strength. They can easily crush the housing of a binocular body or objective lens cell if tightened too much.

--AP

It's got a special rubber pad one one jaw, and a smaller tightening knob, thus lower leverage. I don't think crushing the tubes is really a risk, unless the binoculars are extra flimsy and the user extra-heedless.

It is sometimes marketed by Manfrotto for binoculars, but it is a standard stage super clamp (the same design is made by other manufacturers) for use on stage or photography sets to hold lights and to anchor scenery etc, and which receives various accessories. If you use it to hold a binocular, be very careful. This sort of clamp is designed to hold very heavy objects very securely, so the jaws have tremendous clamping strength. They can easily crush the housing of a binocular body or objective lens cell if tightened too much.

--AP
I agree with Alexis!
I use this clamp to hold a monopod on a tripod and it does have the potential to crush or seriously damage a binocular. Beware.

Attachments

• DSC01171.JPG
    DSC01171.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 45
Thank you all for your comments.

Looking at the device, I was thinking that it has the potential to damage/crush a tube if not careful. The description under the rigging listings say it's rated to hold 33 lbs (15 kgs). It's a substantial piece of kit for clamping.

Pileatus, I remember seeing that photo of the monopod on the tripod earlier, and wondered what clamp you were using.

...The description under the rigging listings say it's rated to hold 33 lbs (15 kgs). It's a substantial piece of kit for clamping...

Yes, quite substantial, as I think that is a very conservative rating. The clamp itself can probably hold hundreds of pounds. I assume the conservative rating is based on limits of possibly tearing loose if it is attached to something using the 1/4" threaded socket. If attached to rigging using the quick-release bolt receptacle, it can bear much heavier loads.

--AP

My concern is that the Manfrotto picture in the jaws do not appear to extend far enough around the tube in the porro prism binoculars shown. Like palming a basketball, it appears to depend upon friction, though in a smaller binocular the jaws may extend far enough to grasp mechanically.

Here are some pictures. The first one shows the convex rubber pad that is specific to this variant of the superclamp. Note also the lower-profile knob (as opposed to the ratcheting lever used in normal superclamps). The other two show it in action on a pair of Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 for scale.

Fully opened, the jaws are about 5cm apart.

I tested it on one of my wife's hair spray bottles roughly the same cross-section as binocular tubes, and yes, I could dent it, but just barely. Binocular tubes are probably made to a higher standard, though.

I wish alpha binocular makers would put a convenient tripod mounting point the way lower-priced models like the Nikon Monarch HG do on the hinge.

Attachments

• R0001636.jpg
    R0001636.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 16
  • R0001637.jpg
    R0001637.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 22
  • R0001638.jpg
    R0001638.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back