• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 Ultravid checks all the boxes (best binoculars) (2 Viewers)

Andreas, all around good well done, OK, I get that. Not perfect, not best, see below.

Paul I get enough grief for too long posts, not going through all that again. Think if I were you I might go back and reread what I wrote, then you, and think about it. Meanwhile you did write in #1:
Why not , I read through yours.
" In summation these 7x42 UVHD+ seem to cover just about all the bases and checks the most boxes to being the best (perfect?) all around binoculars, it does everything well, IMHO 🙏🏼. "

A whole bunch of "goods" does not yield perfect, best all around. I dig your enthusiasm. Now if you'd just go birding. Hope to head east after labor day, though prolly not NJ. Thanks tho.
I was using perfect to elicit responses, Advertising exaggeration, you remember advertising, right?

Im not sure why your negative. Was out birding today for hours

Perfect , adjective. Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities and/or characteristics as good as it is possible to be.

I wouldn’t want to go to NJ either, who lives there?

Paul
They were millionaires but they sold it all to get the bino collection and now live in a cardboard box :D you never know
But a nice cardboard box, possibly a duplex with a small skylight.

Just checked the price of a new ultravid+ and am actually shocked.
UK Leica, RRP £2150, in dealers from £1935.
🤔
I know, they went up soon after swaro increased their prices. They were around the £1700 mark earlier in the year.

For me they are a very good workaday binocular- I've used them quite a few times and always liked the resolution and stability as well as the fact c.a isn't as prominent as in some other leica's - I can see the appeal.

The fact I don't own one is mainly due to the lack of sparkle when compared to higher transmission models - and I'm not sure they represent value for money when compared to something like a kahles helia s (slc 42) which is similar in many ways to look through although not necessarily to look at - if that's important to you...

Will
Knowing what I know now, if I wanted a UVHD+ 7X42 I'd be sorta open minded. I'd certainly be open to a Retrovid 7X35. I know several of us hound it over and over but it's a jewel and a bargain, especially the ones BF members are selling on the classified. I like mine just as much If not more than the UVHD+. ALSO....if I had my mind made up for a full sized 7X42, a Meopta B.1 is truly just about as good. FL is just as good. Same for a SLC B. When you see one of those available in good shape at a price you can live with, JUMP ON IT.

BTW...The UVHD+ 7X42 has gone up to around $2399 here but you can find them on ebay for around $2000 if you look.

Last edited:
Knowing what I know now, if I wanted a UVHD+ 7X42 I'd be sorta open minded. I'd certainly be open to a Retrovid 7X42. I know several of us hound it over and over but it's a jewel and a bargain, especially the ones BF members are selling on the classified. I like mine just as much If not more than the UVHD+. ALSO....if I had my mind made up for a full sized 7X42, a Meopta B.1 is truly just about as good. FL is just as good. Same for a SLC B. When you see one of those available in good shape at a price you can live with, JUMP ON IT.

BTW...The UVHD+ 7X42 has gone up to around $2399 here but you can find them on ebay for around $2000 if you look.
Retro 7x35 right? Think Im heading there, its a 1970 unrequited thing....

Leica 7x35 classic (aka retro) does not check all the boxes 😜😉✌🏼.

Attachments

• 1861C268-8548-40F7-BCE2-2DDC781DCD5A.png
    1861C268-8548-40F7-BCE2-2DDC781DCD5A.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • A544A7EC-F9AF-4D8E-807C-18CF90B951EA.png
    A544A7EC-F9AF-4D8E-807C-18CF90B951EA.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • A050B6B8-F6A8-4127-9FF6-6735E48ED202.png
    A050B6B8-F6A8-4127-9FF6-6735E48ED202.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 7197406D-26C6-4139-83AA-569609C5E68C.png
    7197406D-26C6-4139-83AA-569609C5E68C.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 11
  • C9AC89F5-64FA-4FA5-8382-60713DD21D77.png
    C9AC89F5-64FA-4FA5-8382-60713DD21D77.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 5ECF758F-7CFE-4CC0-AF94-CD7C224DD3A2.png
    5ECF758F-7CFE-4CC0-AF94-CD7C224DD3A2.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 11
I wouldn’t want to go to NJ either, who lives there?
I do.

Owned the 7x42 Uvid HD+ for about 4 years. It’s wonderful and probably still my favorite the of binos I’ve owned.

Now I use Trinovid HD 8x32 as my main bino and I really enjoy using it.
Saw some nice birds through it this morning. Leica zee best (for me).

I do.

Owned the 7x42 Uvid HD+ for about 4 years. It’s wonderful and probably still my favorite the of binos I’ve owned.

😃. That Trinovid in 32 is a sweet little package. Leica magic👌

I do.

If not too personal - why did you get rid of the 7x (after 4 years?)?

All great replies and opinions, great stuff and Thank you all.

I’d like to ad a few things after reading some posts. (with pictures).

As per some of the boxes that I opined would be checked (imo , ok Tom) is the 7x. Of course there are people who prefer 8x, 10x and 12x, I actually prefer 8x myself. But the reason I checked that box is because to most people from 8 to 80 can hold a 7X fairly stable, and the added DOF is a nice benefit, especially more so if what you are doing is more nature or landscape observing, imo, ymmv.

On the merits of the focuser , although there are smoother more fluid focusers like the SF and EDG to name two, the I reason I checked the box on the ultravid focuser , is that it performs the exact same way in temperatures from 10° to 100°, that can’t be said for most of the others.

Chuck , I’m using some of the ones in your reply today and I see you rated the build quality of the EDG last. I was curious as to your thoughts on why? To me these things are beasts , there’s no plastic anywhere, the rubber armor looks like it’ll last a lifetime , it looks a heck of a lot thicker and more robust than the Swarovski‘s or the Zeiss.

I used the word immersive, it has been used here dozens, if not hundreds of times, and probably not a good word to describe what I tried to convey.

“Immersive: is a term used to describe experiences that fully engage the senses and draw the audience into the scene or activity” Not a great description of what some see in certain binoculars. I’ll try to better describe what I see when I look through the Ultravid relating to the box I checked.
I think quite a few binoculars use some kind of field flattener or try to design away the curvature of the lens. To some people it seems to be a two dimensional or a flat image quality. Not really that noticeable until you put it side-by-side with something like an ultravid. Does that make any sense?

I’d also like to add a little disclosure , or a hold harmless affidavit if I may. I made a negative remark possibly touched a few nerves , when I compared a certain Binocular that it looked like the barrels got run over by a motorcycle. This was a flippant, tongue-in-cheek statement derived by multiple people on this forum that don’t like the squeezed barrels on an the NL‘s , I have them, and I actually like them a lot. My comment was that the people who don’t like them can’t complain about the more traditional barrels on Ultravids, nor can they complain about the size, weight and length.

It seems that there are a lot of Leica fans here, and it sure seems possible that they are a bit more passionate about that opinion than some of the Zeiss or Swarovski guys/gals. But I could be wrong there.

🙏🏼✌🏼

Paul

Attachments

• A188AFA3-22B5-48CB-90BA-3BD8CEABC96C.jpeg
    A188AFA3-22B5-48CB-90BA-3BD8CEABC96C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 174498EC-A2AF-48D9-92A9-11786B1BEF15.jpeg
    174498EC-A2AF-48D9-92A9-11786B1BEF15.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 8DB3B878-D84A-4F16-8AE2-81D4E901604D.jpeg
    8DB3B878-D84A-4F16-8AE2-81D4E901604D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 4A5C1EEC-0BC1-40BA-BC5F-1F3B33ABD9E5.jpeg
    4A5C1EEC-0BC1-40BA-BC5F-1F3B33ABD9E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 80C3B557-4A67-4202-BAE0-0BCBDFCAD9ED.jpeg
    80C3B557-4A67-4202-BAE0-0BCBDFCAD9ED.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
If not too personal - why did you get rid of the 7x (after 4 years?)?
I was curious myself. I’ll bet it was weight. My wife liked the UV42 and EDG’s, until I handed her the 32UV. Now UV’s and the Habicht’s are her favorites.
Yes, it was the weight and bulk.

After the Ultravid 7x42 I used a couple of 8x30.
After a while I missed Leica and decided to give the Trinovid HD 8x32 a try. I dismissed the Trinovid for years based on what I considered ‘poor’ specs for 8x32. But in use it’s great and the numbers become irrelevant. I wouldn’t complain if some things were to be improved like a bit wider fov and less weight but it works just fine for me as it is.

On the merits of the focuser , although there are smoother more fluid focusers like the SF and EDG to name two, the I reason I checked the box on the ultravid focuser , is that it performs the exact same way in temperatures from 10° to 100°, that can’t be said for most of the others.
I had no complaints about the focuser on my 7x42 HD+. It was nice and smooth and worked perfect in all temps.

The Trinovid HD focus is even smoother. It’s probably the best focuser I’ve used.
I haven’t used it in very cold temps yet. This winter I’ll see how it works.

As per some of the boxes that I opined would be checked (imo , ok Tom) is the 7x. Of course there are people who prefer 8x, 10x and 12x, I actually prefer 8x myself. But the reason I checked that box is because to most people from 8 to 80 can hold a 7X fairly stable, and the added DOF is a nice benefit, especially more so if what you are doing is more nature or landscape observing, imo, ymmv.
Basically you don't see anything with 8x that you don't see with 7x, a matter of taste...
...is that it performs the exact same way in temperatures from 10° to 100°, that can’t be said for most of the others.
Good news, global warming may come.😁😜

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back