• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 Ultravid checks all the boxes (best binoculars) (2 Viewers)

Paultricounty

United States
Of all the binoculars I own and have tried over the years, like others who have said there are no perfect binoculars, I feel the 7x42 Ultravid plus checks all the boxes for the perfect binoculars.

First we have the build quality, they are one of the most compact 42mm binoculars available, they’re solid, have a great balance and feel great in the hands, the focuser is excellent even though a little firm , it’s not stiff and they snap right into focus the way a high end alpha should, no focus hunting anywhere anytime. The material fit and finish is elegant, strong and second to none.

The optics are incredibly sharp, bright, with very good edges, and a very immersive image. CA is very well controlled, almost none under most all observing conditions. It has a very good size FOV, perfect outlined black field stop with beautiful image circle, and the contrast and color saturation is off the charts , as good or better than anything else on the market today.

The eye relief is excellent as well , it has a very comfortable eye box, no fiddling around to find the right eye position. All combined with the 7x DOF becomes all intoxicating and absolutely delicious. All these features come together to make an all around close to perfect pair of binoculars.

It doesn’t try to go over board or touch the boundaries of a huge FOV, which then makes the ocular design prone to blackout or a less comfortable eye box. It doesn’t ry to have a perfect flat field edge to edge, that makes for some peculiar panning characteristics. It doesn’t try to be the brightest with coating trickery that may introduce glare under certain lighting conditions. It doesn’t try to use the most modern biodegradable armor ( which we’ll be discussing for this and the next eternity). It doesn’t to redesign the wheel with open bridge (I call double bridges) where some hands don’t fit between the barrels, and it doesn’t have barrels that feel like a motorcycle drove over the binocular tubes.

We can debate the 7x magnification not being optimum for some , but if you go higher you lose that DOF which is part of the package. In summation these 7x42 UVHD+ seem to cover just about all the bases and checks the most boxes to being the best (perfect?) all around binoculars, it does everything well, IMHO 🙏🏼.

What say you?

Paul

Attachments

• 98FA147D-3B65-4E23-8479-0A6D7FE2B7B6.png
    98FA147D-3B65-4E23-8479-0A6D7FE2B7B6.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
  • E2613B88-227E-4A9C-AB9A-EB447424A193.png
    E2613B88-227E-4A9C-AB9A-EB447424A193.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 54
  • A46A8377-2B56-457F-ADC8-381B4288B09D.png
    A46A8377-2B56-457F-ADC8-381B4288B09D.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
  • A931E141-84CD-491B-9715-BD815D84131B.png
    A931E141-84CD-491B-9715-BD815D84131B.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 6C77DF36-F1B6-45B2-B7AC-0205ED670BB4.png
    6C77DF36-F1B6-45B2-B7AC-0205ED670BB4.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Of all the binoculars I own and have tried over the years, like others who have said there are no perfect binoculars, I feel the 7x42 Ultravid plus checks all the boxes for the perfect binoculars.

First we have the build quality, they are one of the most compact 42mm binoculars available, they’re solid, have a great balance and feel great in the hands, the focuser is excellent even though a little firm , it’s not stiff and they snap right into focus the way a high end alpha should, no focus hunting anywhere anytime. The material fit and finish is elegant, strong and second to none.

The optics are incredibly sharp, bright, with very good edges, and a very immersive image. CA is very well controlled, almost none under most all observing conditions. It has a very good size FOV, perfect outlined black field stop with beautiful image circle, and the contrast and color saturation is off the charts , as good or better than anything else on the market today.

The eye relief is excellent as well , it has a very comfortable eye box, no fiddling around to find the right eye position. All combined with the 7x DOF becomes all intoxicating and absolutely delicious. All these features come together to make an all around close to perfect pair of binoculars.

It doesn’t try to go over board or touch the boundaries of a huge FOV, which then makes the ocular design prone to blackout or a less comfortable eye box. It doesn’t ry to have a perfect flat field edge to edge, that makes for some peculiar panning characteristics. It doesn’t try to be the brightest with coating trickery that may introduce glare under certain lighting conditions. It doesn’t try to use the most modern biodegradable armor ( which we’ll be discussing for this and the next eternity). It doesn’t to redesign the wheel with open bridge (I call double bridges) where some hands don’t fit between the barrels, and it doesn’t have barrels that feel like a motorcycle drove over the binocular tubes.

We can debate the 7x magnification not being optimum for some , but if you go higher you lose that DOF which is part of the package. In summation these 7x42 UVHD+ seem to cover just about all the bases and checks the most boxes to being the best (perfect?) all around binoculars, it does everything well, IMHO 🙏🏼.

What say you?

Paul
I say I need to try one.
Certainly, the 7x works for me in the retro ;-)

I agree it's a great one!

I'm going to have muddy the water and add an SLC 8X42 and an FL 7X42!

I'm also going to give Leica credit....they DO still build 'em the way they used to!

E896C70A-319F-4874-AD03-6EF6483911C1.jpeg

IMG_3005.JPG

What say you?
I say right on!

You mention the focuser being a little firm; mine has really loosened up in the last 6 years and I wonder to what extent these focusers wear in with use. Apparently the HDs use teflon disks with minimal lubricant. (post #111)

I'm keeping an eye on how my 8x32 loosens up and I hope it does, because my 7x42 is very light and smooth. Both focusers work great for me though.

I agree it's a great one!

I'm going to have muddy the water and add an SLC 8X42 and an FL 7X42!

I'm also going to give Leica credit....they DO still build 'em the way they used to!

E896C70A-319F-4874-AD03-6EF6483911C1.jpeg

IMG_3005.JPG
Muddying the water is absolutely fine Chuck, I was hoping for additional and alternative opinions.
I considered both of those, the SLC 42 is real close to a lot of those UV features , but it’s not a 7x and loses in the DOF area. The FL , another fantastic binocular, but doesn’t have as smooth an edge fall off.

I may have to get another 8x42 SLC, that’s a winner! I didn’t get along with the focuser in the one I had.

Thx Chuck

Paul

I say right on!

You mention the focuser being a little firm; mine has really loosened up in the last 6 years and I wonder to what extent these focusers wear in with use. Apparently the HDs use teflon disks with minimal lubricant. (post #111)

I'm keeping an eye on how my 8x32 loosens up and I hope it does, because my 7x42 is very light and smooth. Both focusers work great for me though.
I’ve tried over a half dozen UVs in that last two years. Only one focuser was not great , all the others were nice with the plus models improved from the former generation. I didn’t notice any being lose, like MHG’s or Conquests. Maybe firm wasn’t the best description, maybe a little tighter than some others on the market, but in a good way. The focusers feel like they’ll last a lifetime. The nice thing about the UV focuser is it feels axactly the same from 10° to 100°.

What say you?

Paul
Ahhh Paul, welcome aboard!

I put it in a similar way months ago, IMO the UV 7x42 HD+ doesn't have a single outstanding feature, but it does everything well to very well.

The most used glass for over a year.

Andreas

"I may have to get another 8x42 SLC, that’s a winner! I didn’t get along with the focuser in the one I had".

Two times the charm for me regarding the focus, I think they finally got it right this time. Right up there with the best 8X42s.

Paul, that's an excellent summary. If I were to buy another pair of muggle binoculars right now, the Leica 7x42 would be it. Nothing else.

However, if Leica were to make a 7x35 Ultravid (or Noctivid ...) things might be different, of course ... :cool:

Hermann

We can debate the 7x magnification not being optimum for some
That is exactly why these bins are not the perfect bins for me. I wonder, why is this UHVD 7x42 so popular and not the UHVD 8x42? Wouldn't that be a more average size? I am a 10x person and because of that I do not really like 7x. A 8x is the bottom line for me, so in that case I would vote for the 8x42 which also has great DOF.
I have the SLC 8x42 and appreciate almost everything on it: comfortable eyecups, compact, nice DOF and FOV. If it would have been a 7x42 I wouldn't have bought it. (I sent them to Austria and now the focuser is really nice, although I prefer them of the EL and NL, especially the last.)

That is exactly why these bins are not the perfect bins for me. I wonder, why is this UHVD 7x42 so popular and not the UHVD 8x42?
Maybe because many glasses wearers benefit from the better eye relief, with the 8x42 there are problems here and there.
The UV series is tight on this point, next to the 8x50 is the 7x42 that can be used by almost everyone.

There are now more glasses wearers than non-glasses wearers, and the market is correspondingly large.

Andreas

Love those retros! The image is very similar in the UV 7x, just a tad sharper and brighter. I think the retro is slightly warmer, which is nice because even though they’re similar it does separate them a bit.
To my eyes, the UVs and the Retros are quite different. I agree in that the UVs are sharper and they always snap right into focus. I don't think they are brighter in daylight but they show much more detail after dark. I don't think the Retros are warmer than the UVs. The Retros have whiter whites than the Ultravids and seem brighter in daylight. The colours of the UVs are more saturated. Depth is better in the Ultravids and also the view is more stable handheld. I like panning and glare control (no sickles) better in the Retros.

I could add to this list. Did I mention CA?

....very subjective, I know.

Maybe because many glasses wearers benefit from the better eye relief, with the 8x42 there are problems here and there.
The UV series is tight on this point, next to the 8x50 is the 7x42 that can be used by almost everyone.

There are now more glasses wearers than non-glasses wearers, and the market is correspondingly large.

Andreas
FWIW I owned the 8x42BL in the past and still have 8x42UVHD+. Neither has been a problem at all with specs (which I always wear). Of course everyone's specs and face are different....etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back